Cancel Culture gone mad!

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Little waster
After Pie

Cancel Culture gone mad!

Post by Little waster » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:03 pm

More evidence that the woke millennial snowflakes need to learn to suck it up, buttercup and deal with uncomfortable truths like grown-ups!

What's that you say ... Jacob Rees-Mogg ... never heard of him .. presumably some sort of crusty avocado-toast munching social media influencer who needs to get a real job rather than dressing like a weirdo and banging on about bl..dy pronouns all day.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

shpalman
Princess POW

Re: Cancel Culture gone mad!

Post by shpalman » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:58 pm

“there have been far too many examples recently where essentially extremist speakers have been invited to speak to civil servants and staff networks,” said the haunted Victorian ventriloquist hatstand.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:17 pm

I remember there was a guy about four years ago, when Theresa May was Prime Minister, who was very strongly opposed to government policy. She was, I seem to recall, trying to get a Brexit deal through Parliament, and this person, despite being in her own party, was a member of a rather extreme right-wing group which acted at every turn to denigrate her and her deal, and ultimately ended up throwing her out of office. He was quite a tall man, lanky, with glasses and an extremely posh voice.

Whatever was his name?
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:25 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:17 pm
I remember there was a guy about four years ago, when Theresa May was Prime Minister, who was very strongly opposed to government policy. She was, I seem to recall, trying to get a Brexit deal through Parliament, and this person, despite being in her own party, was a member of a rather extreme right-wing group which acted at every turn to denigrate her and her deal, and ultimately ended up throwing her out of office. He was quite a tall man, lanky, with glasses and an extremely posh voice.

Whatever was his name?
So, just for fun, I did the most obvious thing...

Spoiler:

It does make you wonder dun'tit.
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

causan_dux
Sindis Poop

Post by causan_dux » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:40 pm

Little waster wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:03 pm
More evidence that the woke millennial snowflakes need to learn to suck it up, buttercup and deal with uncomfortable truths like grown-ups!

I didn't know what buttercupping was until today, so thanks for that. Doesn't seem that difficult to learn though.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:03 pm

causan_dux wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:40 pm
Little waster wrote:

I didn't know what buttercupping was until today, so thanks for that. Doesn't seem that difficult to learn though.
Sounds like a sex technique which was invented by an obscure cult in California and was later ruined after The Guardian published a full page article on how to do it.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:32 am

We should have a thread for what I learnt today and really wish I hadn't.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:44 am

Tessa K wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:32 am
You mean I was accidently correct?

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:21 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:44 am
Tessa K wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:32 am
You mean I was accidently correct?
Apart from California, yes. It's a shame you can't cancel knowledge once it's got into your head.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:13 pm

The mind-set of JRM is so weird it actually hurts my head to try and think like him*.

The Unrestricted Free Speech argument usually goes:-

1. It is vital to a healthy society that bad ideas can be called out and criticised no matter who holds them and better ideas can be synthesised and implemented. A society where the decisions of Head of State, the Government, political parties, powerful organisations and corporations etc. can not be challenged risks tyranny, corruption and the perpetuation of bad choices. Therefore it is crucial that Freedom of Speech is not curtailed to protect this important self-correcting mechanism. This is the BABY.

2. The downside is it isn't feasible for anyone to impartially adjudicate what is and isn't acceptable Free Speech and therefore any attempts to curtail Free Speech, no matter how well intentioned, have to be opposed rather than risk the slippery slope to tyranny. As such it is deeply regrettable that to preserve the rights of a journalist to call out a corrupt minister or a whistle-blower to expose child abuse in the church we also have to accept the right of Nick Griffin to be a racist dickhead or Graham Lineham to be transphobic for the Greater Good. This is the BATHWATER.

Cue a lengthy discussion about shouting FIRE! in a crowded theatre, slander, libel, incitement to violence etc.

Of course that is all based on the one promoting the argument not being a colossal f.ckwit with a weird Dickensian cosplay affectation.

Instead the argument JRM is pushing is to preserve the bathwater and get rid of the baby. He'll apparently die in a ditch to defend someone's right to be an offensive a..eh.le (especially if they are a rich white straight male) while wildly celebrating the suppression of public protest, the banning of any form of constructive criticism and the purging of the educational curriculum of anything he deems "un-patriotic". Punching down is great but any punching-up must be eradicated.

And it's not just that f.cking ghoul either; Guido Fawkes in an epic display of lack of self-awareness posted the following in successive tweets. :shock:

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/ ... _6wKArAAAA

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/ ... nG6KErAAAA

*TBF it is a lot easier if you approach it from the starting point that that he is fundamentally bone-deep dishonest, is fully aware of his dishonesty and his entire outlook is based on pitch-black cynicism. It also explains his frequent hypocrisies over things like moving his company to Dublin because of Brexit or his mutually contradictory positions on the respective confidence votes of May and Johnson. He really is a thoroughly despicible c.nt.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:48 pm

Applause

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:36 am

According to Sunak this leftie woke culture is cancelling our women.

Al Capone Junior
Clardic Fug

Post by Al Capone Junior » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:23 am

Little waster wrote:

What's that you say ... Jacob Rees-Mogg ... never heard of him .. presumably some sort of crusty avocado-toast munching social media influencer who needs to get a real job rather than dressing like a weirdo and banging on about bl..dy pronouns all day.
Please. "Offense archeology" is as ubiquitous as the woke coffee shops where the stupid-er-est of these travesty-fests originate. As social f.cking media polarizes us more and more every day, we rush to the extremes, where the failure to grasp reality, and the associated stupidity that goes with it, creeps in on the remaining reasonable ones from both sides.

We're all seriously f.cked.

When you call the emergency hotline, you get a computer menu:

To get f.cked in the ass, press one!

To hear the list of menu items again, press two!

If you want to speak to a representative, a huge Silverback gorilla will be sent to your house immediately

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:37 pm

Cancel culture claims another victim. Oh wait ... he's just got his own show.

Marina Hyde, yet again, is most excellent.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... celled-bbc
Time for a big fat one.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:44 pm

Opti wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:37 pm
Cancel culture claims another victim. Oh wait ... he's just got his own show.

Marina Hyde, yet again, is most excellent.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... celled-bbc
Just read that. She is brilliant and that is is very much on the nose.

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:07 pm

Ironically, I just got banned from Twitter for my reply to a Cleese tweet.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:28 pm

Little waster wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:13 pm
The mind-set of JRM is so weird it actually hurts my head to try and think like him*.

The Unrestricted Free Speech argument usually goes:-

1. It is vital to a healthy society that bad ideas can be called out and criticised no matter who holds them and better ideas can be synthesised and implemented. A society where the decisions of Head of State, the Government, political parties, powerful organisations and corporations etc. can not be challenged risks tyranny, corruption and the perpetuation of bad choices. Therefore it is crucial that Freedom of Speech is not curtailed to protect this important self-correcting mechanism. This is the BABY.

2. The downside is it isn't feasible for anyone to impartially adjudicate what is and isn't acceptable Free Speech and therefore any attempts to curtail Free Speech, no matter how well intentioned, have to be opposed rather than risk the slippery slope to tyranny. As such it is deeply regrettable that to preserve the rights of a journalist to call out a corrupt minister or a whistle-blower to expose child abuse in the church we also have to accept the right of Nick Griffin to be a racist dickhead or Graham Lineham to be transphobic for the Greater Good. This is the BATHWATER.

Cue a lengthy discussion about shouting FIRE! in a crowded theatre, slander, libel, incitement to violence etc.

Of course that is all based on the one promoting the argument not being a colossal f.ckwit with a weird Dickensian cosplay affectation.

Instead the argument JRM is pushing is to preserve the bathwater and get rid of the baby. He'll apparently die in a ditch to defend someone's right to be an offensive a..eh.le (especially if they are a rich white straight male) while wildly celebrating the suppression of public protest, the banning of any form of constructive criticism and the purging of the educational curriculum of anything he deems "un-patriotic". Punching down is great but any punching-up must be eradicated.

And it's not just that f.cking ghoul either; Guido Fawkes in an epic display of lack of self-awareness posted the following in successive tweets. :shock:

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/ ... _6wKArAAAA

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/ ... nG6KErAAAA

*TBF it is a lot easier if you approach it from the starting point that that he is fundamentally bone-deep dishonest, is fully aware of his dishonesty and his entire outlook is based on pitch-black cynicism. It also explains his frequent hypocrisies over things like moving his company to Dublin because of Brexit or his mutually contradictory positions on the respective confidence votes of May and Johnson. He really is a thoroughly despicible c.nt.
The last paragraph.

I despise JRM more than any other member of the government, because he so clearly knows what he's doing and it's all a game to him.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation