Cancel Culture gone mad!

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Post Reply
User avatar
Little waster
After Pie
Posts: 2215
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 am
Location: About 1 inch behind my eyes

Cancel Culture gone mad!

Post by Little waster » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:03 pm

More evidence that the woke millennial snowflakes need to learn to suck it up, buttercup and deal with uncomfortable truths like grown-ups!

What's that you say ... Jacob Rees-Mogg ... never heard of him .. presumably some sort of crusty avocado-toast munching social media influencer who needs to get a real job rather than dressing like a weirdo and banging on about bl..dy pronouns all day.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

User avatar
shpalman
Princess POW
Posts: 7295
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Cancel Culture gone mad!

Post by shpalman » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:58 pm

“there have been far too many examples recently where essentially extremist speakers have been invited to speak to civil servants and staff networks,” said the haunted Victorian ventriloquist hatstand.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing

User avatar
El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2901
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:41 pm
Location: FBPE

Re: Cancel Culture gone mad!

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:17 pm

I remember there was a guy about four years ago, when Theresa May was Prime Minister, who was very strongly opposed to government policy. She was, I seem to recall, trying to get a Brexit deal through Parliament, and this person, despite being in her own party, was a member of a rather extreme right-wing group which acted at every turn to denigrate her and her deal, and ultimately ended up throwing her out of office. He was quite a tall man, lanky, with glasses and an extremely posh voice.

Whatever was his name?
They loved each other and believed they loved mankind, they fought each other and believed they fought the world.

User avatar
tenchboy
Dorkwood
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:18 pm
Location: Down amongst the potamogeton.

Re: Cancel Culture gone mad!

Post by tenchboy » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:25 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:17 pm
I remember there was a guy about four years ago, when Theresa May was Prime Minister, who was very strongly opposed to government policy. She was, I seem to recall, trying to get a Brexit deal through Parliament, and this person, despite being in her own party, was a member of a rather extreme right-wing group which acted at every turn to denigrate her and her deal, and ultimately ended up throwing her out of office. He was quite a tall man, lanky, with glasses and an extremely posh voice.

Whatever was his name?
So, just for fun, I did the most obvious thing...

Spoiler:


It does make you wonder dun'tit.

causan_dux
Sindis Poop
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:07 am

Re: Cancel Culture gone mad!

Post by causan_dux » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:40 pm

Little waster wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:03 pm
More evidence that the woke millennial snowflakes need to learn to suck it up, buttercup and deal with uncomfortable truths like grown-ups!

I didn't know what buttercupping was until today, so thanks for that. Doesn't seem that difficult to learn though.

User avatar
Woodchopper
Light of Blast
Posts: 5667
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: Cancel Culture gone mad!

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:03 pm

causan_dux wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:40 pm
Little waster wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:03 pm
More evidence that the woke millennial snowflakes need to learn to suck it up, buttercup and deal with uncomfortable truths like grown-ups!

I didn't know what buttercupping was until today, so thanks for that. Doesn't seem that difficult to learn though.
Sounds like a sex technique which was invented by an obscure cult in California and was later ruined after The Guardian published a full page article on how to do it.

User avatar
Tessa K
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3888
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Re: Cancel Culture gone mad!

Post by Tessa K » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:32 am

We should have a thread for what I learnt today and really wish I hadn't.

User avatar
Woodchopper
Light of Blast
Posts: 5667
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: Cancel Culture gone mad!

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:44 am

Tessa K wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:32 am
We should have a thread for what I learnt today and really wish I hadn't.
You mean I was accidently correct?

User avatar
Tessa K
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3888
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Re: Cancel Culture gone mad!

Post by Tessa K » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:21 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:44 am
Tessa K wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:32 am
We should have a thread for what I learnt today and really wish I hadn't.
You mean I was accidently correct?
Apart from California, yes. It's a shame you can't cancel knowledge once it's got into your head.

User avatar
Little waster
After Pie
Posts: 2215
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 am
Location: About 1 inch behind my eyes

Re: Cancel Culture gone mad!

Post by Little waster » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:13 pm

The mind-set of JRM is so weird it actually hurts my head to try and think like him*.

The Unrestricted Free Speech argument usually goes:-

1. It is vital to a healthy society that bad ideas can be called out and criticised no matter who holds them and better ideas can be synthesised and implemented. A society where the decisions of Head of State, the Government, political parties, powerful organisations and corporations etc. can not be challenged risks tyranny, corruption and the perpetuation of bad choices. Therefore it is crucial that Freedom of Speech is not curtailed to protect this important self-correcting mechanism. This is the BABY.

2. The downside is it isn't feasible for anyone to impartially adjudicate what is and isn't acceptable Free Speech and therefore any attempts to curtail Free Speech, no matter how well intentioned, have to be opposed rather than risk the slippery slope to tyranny. As such it is deeply regrettable that to preserve the rights of a journalist to call out a corrupt minister or a whistle-blower to expose child abuse in the church we also have to accept the right of Nick Griffin to be a racist dickhead or Graham Lineham to be transphobic for the Greater Good. This is the BATHWATER.

Cue a lengthy discussion about shouting FIRE! in a crowded theatre, slander, libel, incitement to violence etc.

Of course that is all based on the one promoting the argument not being a colossal f.ckwit with a weird Dickensian cosplay affectation.

Instead the argument JRM is pushing is to preserve the bathwater and get rid of the baby. He'll apparently die in a ditch to defend someone's right to be an offensive a..eh.le (especially if they are a rich white straight male) while wildly celebrating the suppression of public protest, the banning of any form of constructive criticism and the purging of the educational curriculum of anything he deems "un-patriotic". Punching down is great but any punching-up must be eradicated.

And it's not just that f.cking ghoul either; Guido Fawkes in an epic display of lack of self-awareness posted the following in successive tweets. :shock:

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/ ... _6wKArAAAA

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/ ... nG6KErAAAA



*TBF it is a lot easier if you approach it from the starting point that that he is fundamentally bone-deep dishonest, is fully aware of his dishonesty and his entire outlook is based on pitch-black cynicism. It also explains his frequent hypocrisies over things like moving his company to Dublin because of Brexit or his mutually contradictory positions on the respective confidence votes of May and Johnson. He really is a thoroughly despicible c.nt.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood
Posts: 1325
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Re: Cancel Culture gone mad!

Post by FlammableFlower » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:48 pm

Applause

User avatar
Tessa K
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3888
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Re: Cancel Culture gone mad!

Post by Tessa K » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:36 am

According to Sunak this leftie woke culture is cancelling our women.

Al Capone Junior
Stargoon
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:40 pm

Re: Cancel Culture gone mad!

Post by Al Capone Junior » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:23 am

Little waster wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:03 pm
More evidence that the woke millennial snowflakes need to learn to suck it up, buttercup and deal with uncomfortable truths like grown-ups!

What's that you say ... Jacob Rees-Mogg ... never heard of him .. presumably some sort of crusty avocado-toast munching social media influencer who needs to get a real job rather than dressing like a weirdo and banging on about bl..dy pronouns all day.
Please. "Offense archeology" is as ubiquitous as the woke coffee shops where the stupid-er-est of these travesty-fests originate. As social f.cking media polarizes us more and more every day, we rush to the extremes, where the failure to grasp reality, and the associated stupidity that goes with it, creeps in on the remaining reasonable ones from both sides.

We're all seriously f.cked.

When you call the emergency hotline, you get a computer menu:

To get f.cked in the ass, press one!

To hear the list of menu items again, press two!

If you want to speak to a representative, a huge Silverback gorilla will be sent to your house immediately

Post Reply