Liz Truss - an unending void of horror and pain

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
plodder
Stummy Beige

Re: Liz Truss - an unending void of horror and pain

Post by plodder » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:47 am

Re the cut taxes for everyone vs cutting taxes for the wealthy thing. The libertarians are happy to cut tax in general, they see it as an inefficient and ineffective kind of theft on behalf of a clumsy state (that incidentally spends our money on things like war and huge subsidies for aristocratic landowners etc). They see the easiest solution to displacing the entrenched political power that we see everywhere as being to simply dismantle the tool that the powerful use to stay in power, ie the state. These powerful people would be replaced through a more meritocratic process - fairly earned wealth. So it doesn’t matter where you spread the tax cuts, because the point is to dismantle the state in order to clear out the dead wood - this is where the growth comes from (and the deregulation that is a natural by product, of course).

Not sure what the changes to IR35 are going to be but that will encourage freelancers. I also note that the big slice of reduction in tax is the 5% cut to the bottom rate.

So that’s the theory, anyway.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:43 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:58 am
Liz Truss chief of staff is being paid his salary via his lobbying firm and is only "seconded" to No10 in arrangement he won't explain

Mark Fullbrook says he's not using company for tax benefit days after govt junked IR35 reforms to make this easier
https://twitter.com/gabriel_pogrund/sta ... 2dYljL7-zw
Confirmed: https://twitter.com/gabriel_pogrund/sta ... Zgiw64L00w

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:24 am

Be quite nice if, when talking about people with incomes in seven figures or more, we (everybody inc the media) stopped using the term "earned/earning"

I'm pretty sure there's plenty of people in the public sector who earn quite decent amounts of money - they just don't get paid it.
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:32 am

headshot wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:11 pm
Well, that didn’t take long did it?
I'm surprised not to see more replies with "needed because of a Tory tax cut for millionaires"
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:25 pm

Im thinking its stupidity.

The populist thing to do would be raise the income rax threshold, perhaps to the level of a full time minimum wage job.

The wicked plutocrat thing to do would be fiddle with some arcane aspect of capital gains or dividends or something that could save loads for multinillionaires without being noticeable to scum like us.

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:53 pm

jimbob wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:32 am
headshot wrote:
I'm surprised not to see more replies with "needed because of a Tory tax cut for millionaires"
Except that's not true. Labour has said it will leave the 19% but put back the 45%. Can't see millions falling into that tax bracket.
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:44 pm

Lew Dolby wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:53 pm
jimbob wrote:
headshot wrote:
Except that's not true. Labour has said it will leave the 19% but put back the 45%. Can't see millions falling into that tax bracket.
Kwartang wrote that tweet before Labour had announced their official policy. He fell right into their rudimentary trap.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:49 pm

Lew Dolby wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:53 pm
jimbob wrote:
headshot wrote:
What has truth to do with the modern Tory party?

Al Capone Junior
Clardic Fug

Post by Al Capone Junior » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:53 pm

Little waster wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:13 am
From t'other thread:-
Opti wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:28 pm
This is quite some cabinet she's assembling.
This could be fun.
It's ironic that a Party that seems to spend all its time claiming that simply believing in British (English) exceptionalism will get us through whichever skip-fire they've thrown the country into this week and that the amazing genius and resilience of the British (English) people will somehow find a way of defying economic gravity and build a world-beating 21st Century economy through some combination of the blinding white-heat of bleeding-edge fruit-preserve innovation*, selling gollywogs* and sh.tting in our drinking water ...

... and then once again they unveil another cabinet of vile mediocrities who can't even exit a room they've literally just entered, without assistance.

*and where possible combine the two.
Although I'm not sure wtf ya'll are talking about, and never heard of a gollywog, posts like this are why I love you guys
:D

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:22 pm

Just google Robinsons golliwog and you'll find out Al.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:33 pm

veravista wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:22 pm
Just google Robinsons golliwog and you'll find out Al.
Robertsons, unless fruit squash has changed recently
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:55 am

Al Capone Junior wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:53 pm
Little waster wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:13 am
From t'other thread:-
Opti wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:28 pm
This is quite some cabinet she's assembling.
This could be fun.
It's ironic that a Party that seems to spend all its time claiming that simply believing in British (English) exceptionalism will get us through whichever skip-fire they've thrown the country into this week and that the amazing genius and resilience of the British (English) people will somehow find a way of defying economic gravity and build a world-beating 21st Century economy through some combination of the blinding white-heat of bleeding-edge fruit-preserve innovation*, selling gollywogs* and sh.tting in our drinking water ...

... and then once again they unveil another cabinet of vile mediocrities who can't even exit a room they've literally just entered, without assistance.

*and where possible combine the two.
Although I'm not sure wtf ya'll are talking about, and never heard of a gollywog, posts like this are why I love you guys
:D
Gollywogs were a 20th Century children's toy once popular in the UK; being a doll which was a straight-up racist caricature of African-Americans in both appearance, name and behaviour*.

They had been popularised by a well-known brand of jams called Robertson's, who spent most the 20th Century slapping "Gollies" on all their products and any other bit of merchandising they could. Wikipedia records them churning out over 200 million distinct items over 70 years.

In 2002, Robertson's bowed to the inevitable and withdrew the Golly from their branding because ... seriously, have you f.cking seen them?

This caused a backlash by the far-right c.nts in UKIP and the BNP and ultimately the Conservative Party itself; because how a private company chooses to market its jam was obviously the Number 1 issue facing humanity in the immediate aftermath of 9/11.

It then became a matter of bizarre pride for Tory Conferences to have a stall deliberately selling openly racist merchandise in the mistaken belief this was a way of "pwning the libtards" rather than just making them look more like the unwanted throwbacks to a vaguely naff and embarrassing 1950s than they did already. Such a strange hill to choose to die on.

Fast forward to a UK giving all the signs of rapidly approaching The Event (Stay In Doors!), and in desperate attempt to paint a post-Brexit future which didn't involve us all eating our pets; one drug-fuelled senior Tory Cabinet Minister, his eyes Columbian-bright, suggested the UK's way out of the self-inflicted Brexit economic crisis would be to sell more jars of jam** to Africa. Presumably with a massive Golly on the label to help drive sales. ... And this is why you shouldn't do cocaine.

*they frequently appeared in Enid Blyton's Toytown story series where IIRC they were uniformly portrayed as lazy and stupid.

**I'll think you'll find fruit-preserves are the 3rd biggest traded commodity after oil and weapons and most world currencies are now pegged to the price of a barrel of Sweet Seville Marmalade (Jam that is, Orange Gold, Cambridgeshire Cocoa as the short-lived 60s British comedy series, The Chelsea Travellers referred to it).

ETA Double ninja'ed f.ck it!
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

insignificant
Clardic Fug

Post by insignificant » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:16 am

Al Capone Junior wrote:
never heard of a gollywog
There is a good article on them at the Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia - link

My grandmother made my mother one and she loved it very much and it was always "just a doll" that didn't represent anything real for her, but that's what happens when something gets disconnected from its origins because of ignorance

But Truss, yeah, f.cking hell

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:29 am

insignificant wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:16 am
Al Capone Junior wrote:
never heard of a gollywog
There is a good article on them at the Jim Crow Museum of Racist Memorabilia - link

My grandmother made my mother one and she loved it very much and it was always "just a doll" that didn't represent anything real for her, but that's what happens when something gets disconnected from its origins because of ignorance

But Truss, yeah, f.cking hell
Earlier this morning I came across my golly (60-odd years old I'll hasten to add). Still have my teddy bear somewhere else.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:34 am

Hard to imagine that Corbyn would have been as damaging to the UK economy as this shower
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:51 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:34 am
Hard to imagine that Corbyn would have been as damaging to the UK economy as this shower
For all the myriad things wrong with him, I'm pretty sure this is true.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:21 am

One of the only possible post-Brexit benefits for the UK was the ability to reform rural payments, instead of the wasteful and destructive EU CAP system. DEFRA and environmental NGOs were working on a replacement system that would pay landowners for public goods - carbon, water storage, biodiversity, recreational access, etc. Would've been good for rural jobs, nature and the landscape.

Truss's lot just scrapped it. Lots of people working on it only found out when meetings disappeared from their online calendars.

Instead, they'll give landowners subsidies from public money for each hectare they own. Yet more transfer of wealth to the wealthiest.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... d-to-scrap
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:35 am

Every UK national resident in the Eurozone reliant on payments made in Sterling (pensioners) is going to be feeling the pinch. There are also a large number who have kept their savings in the UK, especially here in Spain because they have heard that Spanish banks aren't to be trusted with their money! I've never had a problem with them [fingers crossed].

I'm reliant on Sterling payments, but I moved most of my savings when the rate was £1 = €1.20+
Time for a big fat one.

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:55 am

Letters already going in to the 1922 Committee to trigger yet another leadership election. What is needed is a vote of no confidence and a general election. I predict 22/12/22 as the date for the next general election.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 75293.html

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:20 pm

purplehaze wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:55 am
Letters already going in to the 1922 Committee to trigger yet another leadership election. What is needed is a vote of no confidence and a general election. I predict 22/12/22 as the date for the next general election.

Why would Tory MPs agree to any vote of no confidence?

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:30 pm

jimbob wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:20 pm
purplehaze wrote:

To save their arses, sorry pension, sorry seats. And continue to do what's best for their beloved constituents.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:31 pm

purplehaze wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:30 pm
jimbob wrote:
purplehaze wrote:

To save their arses, sorry pension, sorry seats. And continue to do what's best for their beloved constituents.
I think polling suggests most of them would lose their seats. Not sure about pensions/arses.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:34 pm

purplehaze wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:30 pm
jimbob wrote:
purplehaze wrote:

And how would calling a general election now help?
When they could gamble on replacing Truss with another leader and hope that in 2 years time, video emerges of Starmer eating a puppy whilst burning the Union flag?

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:37 pm

They must know they've f.cked it. Two years to grasp at everything they could possibly milk to fill their swag bags, followed by cushy directorships from grateful capitalist shitbags. Still plenty of pickings left on the country's corpse for the right kind of vulture.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:42 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:37 pm
They must know they've f.cked it. Two years to grasp at everything they could possibly milk to fill their swag bags, followed by cushy directorships from grateful capitalist shitbags. Still plenty of pickings left on the country's corpse for the right kind of vulture.
f.ck it up right, and everything Labour proposes to fix the mess can be attacked as raising taxes and destroying what jobs remain.
Last edited by dyqik on Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.