ELECTION TIME!!!

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Brightonian
Dorkwood

Re: ELECTION TIME!!!

Post by Brightonian » Thu May 06, 2021 9:30 pm

Apparently the Hartlepool count will begin right after the polls close, with the result perhaps between 4am and 6am: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... t-20536761

The results for other elections to dribble in over the next few days: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ct-results

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Thu May 06, 2021 9:50 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:08 pm
I ended up voting in the PCC election. I felt grubby doing so, but I realised that a spoilt ballot wouldn't make any difference - someone will get elected so I might as well try and get it to be someone I like. Not that it will be because like others here I've never voted for someone who's won.
I compromised for the PCC. Put 2 crosses for 1st & 2nd choice clear enough they'll probably still count it, and then wrote 'no politics in policing' across the top of it. Cos I don't agree with that. First time I've ever (kind of) spoilt a ballot.

In other news eldest might have voted for Count Binface.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Thu May 06, 2021 10:05 pm

Voted Khan for Mayor and Duvall (Labour) for Lewisham & Greenwich Constituency but for the party vote I opted for Rejoin EU. I did consider Londependance
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Fri May 07, 2021 2:40 am

Brightonian wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:30 pm
Apparently the Hartlepool count will begin right after the polls close, with the result perhaps between 4am and 6am: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... t-20536761

The results for other elections to dribble in over the next few days: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ct-results
Seems counting is being done overnight by some councils - see the excellent @BritainElects Twitter feed. A lot of large swings, mostly to the Conservatives, but in many cases there's no UKIP so it's a bit difficult to disentangle.

Edited to add: Mostly the swings are away from Labour (judging by my quick scan-through of @BritainElects), though it depends when the previous elections were. (But if local elections are mostly every four years, then the swings should be compared with 2017 when Labour were doing somewhat better IIRC.)

The New Statesman are keeping a good running count: https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/e ... -ward-ward

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri May 07, 2021 4:12 am

Yes, seems to be a good night for the conservatives. Reflects their recent national poll leads.

Was striking to see the big swings away from Labour in Sunderland.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri May 07, 2021 6:13 am

Hartlepool preliminary result

Con: 51.9% (+23.0)
Lab: 28.7% (-9.0)
Ind: 9.7% (+7.5)
RefUK: 1.2% (-24.6)
Grn: 1.2% (+1.2)
LDem: 1.2% (-3.0)
Oth: 6.1% (+4.9)

Con GAIN from Lab.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/statu ... 59584?s=21
The North turns blue.

ETA: Hitherto Labour held the seat at every election since the seat was created in 1974.

In terms of declining Labour support in the North of England it seems like 2019 was part of a long term trend rather than an exceptional result due to Brexit.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri May 07, 2021 6:42 am

Pure speculation but it kinda seems like the political home for many voters went

Labour -> UKIP -> Conservatives.

The effect of this was masked for many years because the UKIP voters split the anti-Labour vote and Labour kept winning elections in places like Hartlepool. Now that the kippers have moved their support to the Tories, Labour is in trouble.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Fri May 07, 2021 7:06 am

I've noticed the Greens did well here and there.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri May 07, 2021 7:42 am

Brightonian wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:06 am
I've noticed the Greens did well here and there.
Reddish South goes Green(ish)!
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri May 07, 2021 7:48 am

Conservatives now control Northumberland county council. For the first time ever.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri May 07, 2021 7:50 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:42 am
Pure speculation but it kinda seems like the political home for many voters went

Labour -> UKIP -> Conservatives.

The effect of this was masked for many years because the UKIP voters split the anti-Labour vote and Labour kept winning elections in places like Hartlepool. Now that the kippers have moved their support to the Tories, Labour is in trouble.
And it also went Conservative -> Remain -> No Fixed Abode. Quite often it's back to Conservative.

The northern vote is clearly settling on right wing popularism for the long term. The old class assumption of a Labour vote is gone for ever. It's miserable to say it, but flag waving, mild racism, English exceptionalism and blaming others is going to dominate UK politics for the next 30 years.

But I'm still baffled why Johnson, in his Boris persona, doesn't play popularism to the full. Just imagine if he'd given our NHS heroes a bumper pay rise and nurses were chanting their love for Boris.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri May 07, 2021 8:09 am

From Twitter:
Eleven members of the 1997 cabinet held seats which are no longer held by Labour - including Blair, Brown, Mandelson, Cook, Mowlam, Darling and Robertson. They were all super safe seats then.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Fri May 07, 2021 8:11 am

We have to wait until Saturday for the results :cry: takes all the drama and excitement out of it.

Anyway. Pretty depressing results so far eh. I'm sure Labour will gain some ground by the next GE though, when the Covid inquiry shows up Johnson.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri May 07, 2021 8:26 am

There's several temporary boosts for the Conservatives:

1) Vaccines. The opposition left a blank space for Johnson to write his own narrative. Many helped him along with it'll-be-so-hard-they'll-never-do-it moaning.

2) Direct govt payments. People on furlough and their families see their support money as coming from the govt, so instinctively thank the govt.

3) Beating the EU to reopening/normality. We won, they lost. Stupid foreigners.

This is definitely the perfect moment to have elections. But it's the icing on the long term cake.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri May 07, 2021 8:34 am

lpm wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:26 am
There's several temporary boosts for the Conservatives:

1) Vaccines. The opposition left a blank space for Johnson to write his own narrative. Many helped him along with it'll-be-so-hard-they'll-never-do-it moaning.

2) Direct govt payments. People on furlough and their families see their support money as coming from the govt, so instinctively thank the govt.

3) Beating the EU to reopening/normality. We won, they lost. Stupid foreigners.

This is definitely the perfect moment to have elections. But it's the icing on the long term cake.
Johnson also delivered Brexit without catastrophes that have directly affected the vast majority of voters. In contrast to the it'll-be-so-hard-they'll-never-do-it moaning.

Ladysavage
Sindis Poop

Post by Ladysavage » Fri May 07, 2021 9:35 am

Hello from north o' wall. Not entirely sure when we get the results of our elections but the count didn't start until 9am this morning. The wee islands will probably declare first as there's about 9 votes to count and i think there were a lot more postal votes than usual.

I got a free pencil :)

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Fri May 07, 2021 9:41 am

Ladysavage wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:35 am
Hello from north o' wall. Not entirely sure when we get the results of our elections but the count didn't start until 9am this morning. The wee islands will probably declare first as there's about 9 votes to count and i think there were a lot more postal votes than usual.

I'm guessing late on tomorrow? My constituency is today though. Our longish standing Labour MSP retired so not sure what'll happen.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

philbo
Clardic Fug

Post by philbo » Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 am

Fishnut wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:19 pm
<lots of good stuff>

TL:DR: I don't think the position should exist. If it has to exist I don't think it should be an elected position. And if it has to be an elected position the bar to entry and the support given to candidates has to be signficantly increased so we can at least have a chance of an informed electorate.
*exactly* this. Thank you for writing what I was going to :)

Ladysavage wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:35 am
Me, too

More voting in pandemics, please :D

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 am

Phew! Thank goodness Labour got rid of that unelectablebeardy chap and replaced him with a nice sensible middle-of-the-road guy with a perfect Tony-Blair-impression voice. Evidently the whingers who spent years undermining the party were right, and the problems Labour experienced were entirely down to leadership and excessive leftiness. Glad they've got that sorted and charged triumphantly to victory.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri May 07, 2021 9:54 am

And yes, politicising law enforcement is a backward move.

Does anywhere sensible do it? I can only think of the USA, and obviously their law enforcement is fubar.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri May 07, 2021 10:11 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 am
Phew! Thank goodness Labour got rid of that unelectablebeardy chap and replaced him with a nice sensible middle-of-the-road guy with a perfect Tony-Blair-impression voice. Evidently the whingers who spent years undermining the party were right, and the problems Labour experienced were entirely down to leadership and excessive leftiness. Glad they've got that sorted and charged triumphantly to victory.
The next general election is fundamentally going to be Charlatan vs Man of Integrity.

We all know Charlatan is going to win in England, but the answer isn't to go back to the untrustworthy, petty, self-serving beardy chap or anyone else like him.

Now is the time to double down on straightforwardness, commonsense and a simple central message of traditional economic recovery. We've got to keep faith that England will return to basic decency.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Fri May 07, 2021 10:12 am

Tories take overwhelming control of Dudley MBC. Eeesh.

Mind you, there were several UKIP councillors a few years ago.

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Fri May 07, 2021 10:36 am

lpm wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 10:11 am

The next general election is fundamentally going to be Charlatan vs Man of Integrity.

We all know Charlatan is going to win in England, but the answer isn't to go back to the untrustworthy, petty, self-serving beardy chap or anyone else like him.

Now is the time to double down on straightforwardness, commonsense and a simple central message of traditional economic recovery. We've got to keep faith that England will return to basic decency.
It's depressing but I think you might be correct about another win for PM Dick.
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri May 07, 2021 10:38 am

lpm wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 10:11 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 am

Yes, definitely. The problems facing Labour are way bigger than just the leadership.

Why has the Labour party, and the labour movement more generally, lost relevance for so many working people despite growing inequality, the loss of a social safety net and worsening work conditions? It seems that just as reality is confirming that the left are correct about everything, they're unable to deliver their message in a way ordinary people can grasp.

I'm not convinced about relying on "basic decency", though - I'd be surprised if it were ever really the case that decency was an important factor in English elections. But the left really ought to appeal to people's basic self-interest and their desires for their community, at least better than some grubby toff kleptocunts.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri May 07, 2021 10:57 am

I think basic decency is a good English value to go for.

Most voters wouldn't want a chaotic and corrupt showman if he didn't deliver. They'd pick a boring manager instead.

At the moment there is the imaginary Boris who voters think is delivering. The tip over the table mentality is still strong, because the status quo table wasn't speaking to those with precarious employment. People genuinely think they'll come out better from chaos, plus delight in the Trumpish "stick it to the elites" fantasy.

Levelling up is hard and Johnson is lazy. I think we can be fairly confident he will fail to deliver to Hartlepool and the rest. Even Blair failed. Which is why I'm so scared Johnson will choose the other option - the much easier one - of simple popularism. The winning story for Johnson in 2024 is: Why are you voting Conservative? Because Boris gave the nurses a pay rise. That's more plausible than a story of: Why are you voting Conservative? Because Boris created secure well-paying jobs across the north.