Brexit Consequences

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
bolo
Dorkwood

Re: Brexit Consequences

Post by bolo » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:55 pm

Why would Quaker Oats be affected by Brexit? It's American.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:19 pm

bolo wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:55 pm
Why would Quaker Oats be affected by Brexit? It's American.
The brand might be American, but the oats in the box are from wherever is convenient for that market. I have bought Quaker oats in many places, as it is useful camping food, and the variations can be quite noticeable from country to country. For example, Argentinean Quaker is darker and harder than Chilean. In fact in those two countries it is such a dominant brand that they call rolled oats "Quaker", pronounced "cuáquer" if you read Spanish.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:54 pm

The cardboard box packaging is very definitely UK rather than US or EU (gives quaker.co.uk, 0800 number, FREEPOST address in Leicester) but doesn't indicate where the contents is produced.

The contents of the tin is instead "Producido Por / Manufactured By / Produit Par / Prodotto Da:" Walkers in Fife and the range of languages suggests it's intended for a more international market.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:52 am

Oh my god, how low can the bastard EU sink? What with their new taxes and red tape for 3rd coutries

https://inews.co.uk/?utm_source=google- ... mQQAvD_BwE

We f.cking left, get over it.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:34 am

I’ve been forced to cancel the five dates in The Netherlands that my theatre company has fulfilled for the last 15 years.

The lack of information about how our company and freelancers would be dealt with on the border, plus the need for carnets, made it far too expensive and time consuming to be worthwhile.

bmforre
Snowbonk

Post by bmforre » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:58 am

headshot wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:34 am
I’ve been forced to cancel the five dates in The Netherlands that my theatre company has fulfilled for the last 15 years ...
A shame.

'Opening to the wide world', wasn't that an important point?

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:32 am

bmforre wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:58 am
headshot wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:34 am
I’ve been forced to cancel the five dates in The Netherlands that my theatre company has fulfilled for the last 15 years ...
A shame.

'Opening to the wide world', wasn't that an important point?
Yes, headshot just needs to organise replacement theatre tours in India or Brazil or something.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:52 am

veravista wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:52 am
Oh my god, how low can the bastard EU sink? What with their new taxes and red tape for 3rd coutries

https://inews.co.uk/?utm_source=google- ... mQQAvD_BwE

We f.cking left, get over it.
That link just went to the i homepage for me.

I did find this lolsome story about the British legion stopping sales to the EU because of brexit https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit-red-tap ... eu-1059903

This guy gets it:
Commander Patrick Lister-Todd, a member of the Government’s Veterans Advisory and Pensions Committee, told i: “The Government really needs to sort these things out. Unfortunately, it comes back to the old adage of having your cake and eating it.

“The EU doesn’t owe us anything and rightly have their own trading benefits and restrictions. Brexit was a message from the UK that we would forego the former for the latter as this would permit us to open new doors. I have no idea where those doors are.”

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:02 pm

shpalman wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:54 pm
The cardboard box packaging is very definitely UK rather than US or EU (gives quaker.co.uk, 0800 number, FREEPOST address in Leicester) but doesn't indicate where the contents is produced.

The contents of the tin is instead "Producido Por / Manufactured By / Produit Par / Prodotto Da:" Walkers in Fife and the range of languages suggests it's intended for a more international market.
It's the same address as Scotts Oats
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:01 pm

A lot of locally-popular brands are owned by multinationals.

Cadbury is Kraft now, for instance.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:12 pm

Oh look, the British steel industry is f.cked (again).

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:53 pm

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:57 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:01 pm

Mondelez.

Kraft no longer as a multi-national company in that way.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:13 pm

130,000 EU citizens on UK benefits yet to apply for settled status, leak suggests
Scheme closes in nine days, with many still at risk of losing access to healthcare, jobs and homes

Fears have been raised that at least 100,000 EU citizens settled in the UK risk losing access to healthcare and other benefits, after the leak of government figures on the EU settled status scheme.

With just nine days to go before the scheme closes, the figures show that 130,000 of the 820,000 Europeans claiming benefits ranging from children’s allowance to income support have not yet applied for settled status.

The figures, leaked to the Times, suggest about 70% of those are in a vulnerable category, with more than 90,000 receiving universal credit.

From next month, people from EU countries must show they have been granted settled status or pre-settled status via an online portal before they can rent, work or claim benefits in the UK.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... k-suggests

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:24 pm

headshot wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:57 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mondelez.
Kraft is still a multi-national food company, but Mondelez owns Cadbury. What happened is slightly confusing.

Kraft Foods took over Cadbury. Then shortly after, Kraft Foods changed its name to Mondelez International. It floated off a separate demerged company it called Kraft Foods Group (slightly different from the old name). Mondelez kept only the snack foods businesses, including Cadbury.

The new Kraft has since merged with Heinz to become Kraft Heinz.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:05 pm

Presumably European broadcasters only purchase British tv & films because their viewers want to watch it so cutting it may not be a popular decision.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:19 pm

JQH wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:05 pm
Presumably European broadcasters only purchase British tv & films because their viewers want to watch it so cutting it may not be a popular decision.
I can't actually think of much British TV shown here in Italy, English-language stuff is almost all American.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:29 pm

IvanV wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:24 pm
headshot wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mondelez.
Kraft is still a multi-national food company, but Mondelez owns Cadbury. What happened is slightly confusing.

Kraft Foods took over Cadbury. Then shortly after, Kraft Foods changed its name to Mondelez International. It floated off a separate demerged company it called Kraft Foods Group (slightly different from the old name). Mondelez kept only the snack foods businesses, including Cadbury.

Gotcha.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:42 pm

IvanV wrote:
headshot wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mondelez.

Of course, the non splittable nature of Kraft was the subject of popular protests in the 70's...

Spoiler:
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:34 pm

Actually, my comment about Quaker Oats wasn't about either corporate ownership (Quaker Oats is owned by PepsiCo, in case anyone cares) or where multinationals source their commodities for sale in the EU (although, FWIW, Poland, Finland, and Spain all produce more oats than the UK). I simply had no idea that Quaker Oats existed in the UK in the first place. I stand corrected.

Aoui
Stargoon

Post by Aoui » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:44 pm

I watch mostly British and German tv. German tv bites, but is still far better than Dutch tv. I'm gonna be mighty pissed off if they take away the BBC and get rid of a lot of British stuff on Netflix.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:51 pm

JQH wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:05 pm
Well, it's a bit chicken and egg, that - people will tend to watch what's promoted to them (especially with these new online things - folks just watch whatever the algorithm pushes on them).

The EU was always going to be able to find exports which would hurt the UK's pocket and pride simultaneously. I'm sure the UK government already knows what they'd have to do for this plan to change (and I'm sure they won't do it).

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:50 am

IvanV wrote:

I liked their second album, The Kase MIx.

I think the NME described it as "a brave fusion of industrial hiphop and Bavarian yodelling, which just ... works".
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:30 am

Little waster wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:50 am
IvanV wrote:

I liked their second album, The Kase MIx.

I think the NME described it as "a brave fusion of industrial hiphop and Bavarian yodelling, which just ... works".
I found it cheesy, and some of it look as though it was madE backwards
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:24 am

Today's BBC website front-page-of-the-papers review brings us another one for the 'we're out, it's what you wanted, suck it up ' sub thread
(Scroll down to the Daily Ex***ss page)

The Daily Express leads with a leaked memo that reportedly suggests the EU wants to cut the amount of British TV and film being shown in Europe. The EU wants lots more TV made in the bloc, the Express says. It calls it an "act of revenge for Brexit" and such a move would be a "hammer blow" to the UK entertainment industry that is boosted by selling international rights to shows.
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...