Brexit Consequences

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
headshot
Dorkwood

Re: Brexit Consequences

Post by headshot » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:48 am

headshot wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:34 am
I’ve been forced to cancel the five dates in The Netherlands that my theatre company has fulfilled for the last 15 years.

The lack of information about how our company and freelancers would be dealt with on the border, plus the need for carnets, made it far too expensive and time consuming to be worthwhile.
Aaaaand, it looks like we can't do Northern Ireland either without prohibitive amounts of paperwork and expenses.

f.cking hell.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:00 am

headshot wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:48 am
headshot wrote:
I’ve been forced to cancel the five dates in The Netherlands that my theatre company has fulfilled for the last 15 years.

The lack of information about how our company and freelancers would be dealt with on the border, plus the need for carnets, made it far too expensive and time consuming to be worthwhile.
Aaaaand, it looks like we can't do Northern Ireland either without prohibitive amounts of paperwork and expenses.

f.cking hell.
That's appalling!
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:59 pm

headshot wrote:
headshot wrote:

f.cking hell.
Really? f.cking hell, I can understand goods but not theatre.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:07 pm

It's a Punch and Judy show and the sausages are stuck at the border.

(Sorry headshot)
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:31 am

Grumble wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:59 pm
headshot wrote:
headshot wrote:

f.cking hell.
All of our set, scenery, costumes and tools etc are classed as commercial goods. This either requires an ATA Carnet for the EU, or a duplicate list and customs deposit. Every item has to be listed, described and weighed - and we just don't have the time or resources to do this on tour.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:56 am

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:56 am

headshot wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:31 am
Grumble wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:59 pm
headshot wrote:

f.cking hell.
All of our set, scenery, costumes and tools etc are classed as commercial goods. This either requires an ATA Carnet for the EU, or a duplicate list and customs deposit. Every item has to be listed, described and weighed - and we just don't have the time or resources to do this on tour.
How much is the stuff worth?

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:33 am

About £10k

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:49 pm

Another Brexit bonus: EE announce the return of roaming charges to punish the unpatriotic for the use of their plucky British phones in treacherous foreign places. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57595913

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:09 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:49 pm
Another Brexit bonus: EE announce the return of roaming charges to punish the unpatriotic for the use of their plucky British phones in treacherous foreign places. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57595913
Still... bluetooth passwords.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:18 am

FB_IMG_1624605490499.jpg
FB_IMG_1624605490499.jpg (87.49 KiB) Viewed 2539 times
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

noggins
Snowbonk

Post by noggins » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:11 pm

Could you sell it to a friendly european for a sum high enough to satisfy EU customs its then free circulation goods, , pay a peppercorn rental fee, then buy it back on your last leg?

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:08 pm

The deterioration in relations with the EU has come as a surprise to those who campaigned to leave the bloc five years ago, the government has admitted.
The Brexit minister, David Frost, said they had dreamed of a sovereign Britain, which could set forth on a global mission while maintaining friendly relations with its neighbours.
Weirdly, not doing what they said they would regarding Northern Ireland is having consequences and can't just be fudged or bluffed away.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:15 am

shpalman wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:08 pm
while maintaining friendly relations with its neighbours.
Weirdly, not doing what they said they would regarding Northern Ireland is having consequences and can't just be fudged or bluffed away.
It’s also baffling that the second part hasn’t also worked out as expected. Who’d guessed?
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:57 pm

"It's very well known that I voted Brexit, but the idea is that when it is done you then go in and tediously replace all the rules which you just voted against you moron.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:46 pm

shpalman wrote:
The deterioration in relations with the EU has come as a surprise to those who campaigned to leave the bloc five years ago, the government has admitted.
The Brexit minister, David Frost, said they had dreamed of a sovereign Britain, which could set forth on a global mission while maintaining friendly relations with its neighbours.
The history, the convoluted politics and the toxic religious strife, means that Northern Ireland always, always, always f.cks up the best laid plans of Westminster politicians. It's a given. I said right at the start before the Brexit vote: "Northern Ireland will f.ck it up."
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:28 am

Boustrophedon wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:46 pm
shpalman wrote:
The history, the convoluted politics and the toxic religious strife, means that Northern Ireland always, always, always f.cks up the best laid plans of Westminster politicians. It's a given. I said right at the start before the Brexit vote: "Northern Ireland will f.ck it up."
Yup, that was the first thing I said to my colleague... he studied at Queens and worked at Seagate (in Derry/Londonderry) as he's obviously neutral (Iranian) he used to get told about 300 years of grievances from whichever side of the factory they came from.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:33 pm

Thread: https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status ... 51750?s=20

EU to allow an extension of the grace period on chilled meats.

But the extension is to allow NI retailers more time to adjust their supply chains. So they are expected to source sausages from NI or from the EU (ie Ireland).

Lets see what happens next time the deadline runs out.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:17 pm

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:28 pm

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:30 pm

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:01 pm

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:52 pm

headshot wrote:
headshot wrote:

f.cking hell.
Today Lord Frost has said he feels “sorry” on a “personal level” for workers in the creative industries being refused jobs in the EU
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:17 am

Neither party will do much. Apparently the UK requested the extension, which made *all* the difference. We’re clearly heading into b.llsh.t territory.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:14 am

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk