Election night party

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
gosling
Stargoon

Re: Election night party

Post by gosling » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:12 pm

I've just been asked to run an interesting query at work. I need to find instances of potentially libelous words in our content and have been provided with a list of insults and swears in English and German. I feel I may need to use some them tonight. "Shitweasel" and "assmonkey" are my current favourites.

EPD - I could send you the full list for the swear filter, if you like :D

GeenDienst
Dorkwood

Post by GeenDienst » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:17 pm

Insults aren't libels per se in UKadia anyway. I know someone who was very relived to find that out, after repeatedly describing the chairman of his beloved failing football club as a c.nt, and being contacted by Messrs Bastard, Weasel, Shyster and Fucknugget on said chairman's behalf.
Just tell 'em I'm broke and don't come round here no more.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:19 pm

Oh no, I will be disappointed if literally every MP and all of the candidates running against them haven't specifically been called c.nts before I wake up tomorrow morning.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:23 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:19 pm
Oh no, I will be disappointed if literally every MP and all of the candidates running against them haven't specifically been called c.nts before I wake up tomorrow morning.
In alphabetical order? I'll get Bowerick Wowbagger on the case.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

GeenDienst
Dorkwood

Post by GeenDienst » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:24 pm

Little waster wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:23 pm
In alphabetical order?
In alphabetical order of parties would work fairly well.

Gentleman Jim
Catbabel

Post by Gentleman Jim » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:35 pm

There is that web site that converts all mentions of "Trump" to "Drumpf"
Can anyone here do the same, to turn "Boris" into "Lying, Philandering c.nt"
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

gosling
Stargoon

Post by gosling » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:45 pm

GeenDienst wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:17 pm
Insults aren't libels per se in UKadia anyway. I know someone who was very relived to find that out, after repeatedly describing the chairman of his beloved failing football club as a c.nt, and being contacted by Messrs Bastard, Weasel, Shyster and Fucknugget on said chairman's behalf.
This is for just our Swiss journals. Apparently the law is different there.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:48 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:05 pm
I recently added "sh.t" in. Not sure it was in the old filter. Dunno if that's strong enough. We have c..t. and t....e and k..t..a and y...b....r in there as well, so that might provide enough protection.
Does it have j***son, that well known euphemism for penis?

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:46 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:27 am
Yeah, pretty much skipped all the other stages and gone straight to existential despair.

All ideas for suitable methods to exterminate humanity are welcome.
Tailored virus. I did think about an asteroid strike but that would wipe out too many other species.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:20 pm

So, the important question: which channel to watch?

BBC are going serious and weighty - Huw Edwards, Andrews Neil and Marr, Nick Robinson. Establishment white male bias.

ITV - George Osborne, Ed Balls, Ruth Davidson. Osborne will be visibly coked up, Balls will be dancing around to a Gwen Stefani anthem and Ruth Davidson will be rolling her eyes in exasperation.

Channel 4 is probably for people who want to watch the election, but kind of ironically, and want to be eased in gently as if taking an interest in the future of your society was butt stuff. Katherine Ryan is fabulous, I don't know who Rylan Clarke is, Clare Balding always seems like she should be riding a horse, Tom Watson could be fantastic, especially if he's hilariously acerbic, and I don't much care for Amber Rudd, other than as a description of fish eggs.

Sky News have only bl..dy got that lad Bercow on it. If anyone feels like chuckling along with him, outwardly happy but inwardly aghast that neoliberal Thatcherite is one of the most sensible and even-handed voices in modern conservatism, the show will be hosted by Dermot "O'Logical" Murnaghan.

Unless I get a VPN working I'll probably be switching between the BBC World Service, Radio 4 and Al Jazeera all night. Wish me luck.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:21 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:20 pm
So, the important question: which channel to watch?

BBC are going serious and weighty - Huw Edwards, Andrews Neil and Marr, Nick Robinson. Establishment white male bias.

ITV - George Osborne, Ed Balls, Ruth Davidson. Osborne will be visibly coked up, Balls will be dancing around to a Gwen Stefani anthem and Ruth Davidson will be rolling her eyes in exasperation.

Channel 4 is probably for people who want to watch the election, but kind of ironically, and want to be eased in gently as if taking an interest in the future of your society was butt stuff. Katherine Ryan is fabulous, I don't know who Rylan Clarke is, Clare Balding always seems like she should be riding a horse, Tom Watson could be fantastic, especially if he's hilariously acerbic, and I don't much care for Amber Rudd, other than as a description of fish eggs.

Sky News have only bl..dy got that lad Bercow on it. If anyone feels like chuckling along with him, outwardly happy but inwardly aghast that neoliberal Thatcherite is one of the most sensible and even-handed voices in modern conservatism, the show will be hosted by Dermot "O'Logical" Murnaghan.

Unless I get a VPN working I'll probably be switching between the BBC World Service, Radio 4 and Al Jazeera all night. Wish me luck.
Let me know how you get on with the VPN. Been having trouble finding a reliable one.

GeenDienst
Dorkwood

Post by GeenDienst » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:23 pm

The Ch 4 "last leg" one last year sounded promising but turned out to be shite.

My aim is to be on the very verge of alcoholic oblivion at 21:59, so that one last sip will do it one the Lord High Curtice of Pollvania hits the stage.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:25 pm

I wisely took the precaution this spring of planting, and subsequently cultivating, two large plants of Satan's celery. So my mind will be mushed into a paste incapable of comprehending the desolation unfolding before it.

Mercifully.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:26 pm

I’ll be at a Freemasons’ Christmas Party tonight, playing in a band for their entertainment. It’ll take my mind off exit polls and the like anyway.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

GeenDienst
Dorkwood

Post by GeenDienst » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:31 pm

Do you have to show your nipple to gain access?

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:41 pm

The swearing started a long time ago here (by which I mean more than usual and directed at various politicians and also numpties appearing on voxpops and eejit reporters).

For music, I did suggest some apocalyptic "post-Rock" earlier: Explosions in the Sky - The Earth is not a cold, dead place; anything by Earth, especially things like Primitive and Deadly; Red Sparowes, especially At the Soundless Dawn, with its closing tracks, Our happiest days slowly began to turn to dust and The sixth extinction crept up slowly, like sunlight through the shutters, as we looked back in regret...; or And So I Watch You from Afar's eponymous album, with Set Guitars To Kill, These Riots Are Just The Beginning and The Voiceless. Or I might even venture Mogwai's Like Herod (Government Commissions version), leavened with bursts from Hawk Is Howling and Mr Beast.
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:45 pm

I'm doing ok here with a combination of the provided cable service, NordVPN and PrivateVPN. OK, it costs me a bit, but I'm able to watch what I want. Mostly. I don't know how long I can stay up tonight. Combination of S-i-L visting and possedness.
Time for a big fat one.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:30 pm

GeenDienst wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:31 pm
So this is how I learn my wife is a mason.

I thought she was saying "Mexican" all these years.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:04 pm

GeenDienst wrote:
I, at 42, will bring the average age in the room down quite a bit. Showing nipples is not a tempting thought.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:07 pm

Not watching BBC because Laura Kuenssberg. Start with ITV and if the exit poll is bad I'll see if a combination of Channel 4 and whisky will make the world a better place.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

mikeh
Fuzzable

Post by mikeh » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:11 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:30 pm
GeenDienst wrote:
So this is how I learn my wife is a mason.

I thought she was saying "Mexican" all these years.
Why does your wife show you her nipple and then say "Mexican"?

@ Mods - if you wish to split the BOAF wife chat off into a sexy chatroom fora, then please do.

@ BOAF - you're an overlord-type, do what you want then, I guess.

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:13 pm

I've started with the Red Sparowes (thinks - adjust volume up closer to Rhino Stun) and the first beer is about to be opened...Or will I have a slug of chilled vodka first? Or some of that damson eau de vie I got in Ludlow? Naaah, save the vodka and the eau de vie for later....
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk

mikeh
Fuzzable

Post by mikeh » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:52 pm

I've just started on the port barrel.

For now, drinking the contents, but who knows, maybe I'll take an axe to it by dawn.

mediocrity511
Snowbonk

Post by mediocrity511 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:53 pm

My plan is exit poll and then bed. And then every time miniocrity2 wakes up I will check the news and watch the results roll in over the course of the night. I don't think I can hack staying up too late, but don't think I'm going to sleep well anyway.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:57 pm

mikeh wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:52 pm
I've just started on the port barrel.

For now, drinking the contents, but who knows, maybe I'll take an axe to it by dawn.
How about some petrol and rag sticking out the bung hole?