Blyatskrieg

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
TimW
Catbabel

Re: Blyatskrieg

Post by TimW » Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:31 am

EACLucifer wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:36 am
Another point to consider is that Ukraine is experimenting with converting old S-200s into land attack missiles.
Cheers. Discussed in this article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2 ... ew-tweaks/

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:26 pm

Zelenskyy announces that F16 pilot training with the Netherlands is due to start in August.
https://twitter.com/zelenskyyua/status/ ... 1zY-PW4R9w

Doesn’t state whether it’s for a handful of a proper programme for tens of pilots.

Imrael
Snowbonk

Post by Imrael » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:23 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:26 pm
Zelenskyy announces that F16 pilot training with the Netherlands is due to start in August.
I didnt spot anything on ground crew training, which might possibly be a larger enterprise? Or not - I'm very far from expert.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:39 am

Imrael wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:23 am
Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:26 pm
I didnt spot anything on ground crew training, which might possibly be a larger enterprise? Or not - I'm very far from expert.
F-16 coalition related statements have mentioned ground crew training as one of the things that needs to be done, but I've not seen details of it. This is an area where foreign volunteer contractors could potentially be very useful, as it would be a lot less controversial than doing likewise with pilots.

Pretty much everything I've seen - with the usual caveats regarding anonymous leaks to the press being very weak evidence and usually leaked by someone unhappy with where policy is going - suggests that a coalition of European countries has forced this rather against the Americans wishes.

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:39 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:19 am
bjn wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:41 pm
Surovkin seems to have gone missing.
It would be foolish to think that competence would be any protection against the coming purge of the upper ranks of the Russian military, in fact, it may even be a reason to purge a general - too competent means too likely to be able to pull of a coup.

Surovikin's a bastard of the first water, but also a relatively competent general who improved Russia's approach on the battlefield. He was also reportedly pretty close to Prigozhin, so it's hardly surprising if he's arrested.

Remember that the term "coup-proofed military" is used disparagingly for a reason.
He's not dead, he's resting.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66183656

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:22 pm

TimW wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:39 pm
EACLucifer wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:19 am
bjn wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:41 pm
Surovkin seems to have gone missing.
It would be foolish to think that competence would be any protection against the coming purge of the upper ranks of the Russian military, in fact, it may even be a reason to purge a general - too competent means too likely to be able to pull of a coup.

Surovikin's a bastard of the first water, but also a relatively competent general who improved Russia's approach on the battlefield. He was also reportedly pretty close to Prigozhin, so it's hardly surprising if he's arrested.

Remember that the term "coup-proofed military" is used disparagingly for a reason.
He's not dead, he's resting.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66183656
Meanwhile Popov has been relieved of command and is ranting about the stab in the back, claims that he was fired because he asked for rotation for his troops, but also possible that he was too close to Prigozhin or Surovikin or just too popular with the troops that he was a coup risk in of himself.

Lots of rumours from the Russian side that possibly the location of the 58th Combined Arms Army HQ may have been leaked in an attempt to get Popov killed. Instead Tsokov, his deputy, got taken out when that command post in Berdyansk was hit by a Storm Shadow missile.

Not saying the location was linked by elements on the Russian side, but the fact that some Russians believe it gives clues as to what their morale must be like.

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:29 am

EACLucifer wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:22 pm
Meanwhile Popov has been relieved of command and is ranting about the stab in the back, claims that he was fired because he asked for rotation for his troops, but also possible that he was too close to Prigozhin or Surovikin or just too popular with the troops that he was a coup risk in of himself.
Pretty easy to see why a well liked commander who cares for his troops would be a threat to Putin... all the Russian Army needs to do to end the war is to get their troops home and fix their poor political leadership in Moscow.
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:25 pm

Nearly a dozen European countries that pledged this week to train Ukrainian pilots are still waiting on the U.S. to formally approve the program before instruction on American F-16 fighter jets can begin, according to U.S. and European officials involved in the discussions.

A coalition of 11 nations, led by Denmark and the Netherlands, formally agreed to train Ukrainians to fly F-16s and potentially other fighter aircraft at the NATO summit in Vilnius, Lithuania, this week. European officials have said they hope to begin the program in August in Denmark, and a training center will also be set up in Romania.

But instruction on F-16s can’t actually start until the State Department formally signs off on the request to transfer instruction manuals, flight simulators and other materials associated with the jets — and that hasn’t happened yet.
While President Joe Biden has promised to green-light the program, the formal request “is still being reviewed,” said Lt. Col. Garron Garn, a Pentagon spokesperson, who deferred further questions to the State Department. A State Department spokesperson declined to comment.

There’s no indication right now that the U.S. won’t eventually give a green light. But Europeans’ requests have already been in the pipeline for weeks: Pentagon spokesperson Brig. Gen. Patrick Ryder told reporters last month that Denmark formally requested permission to conduct F-16 training. The Defense Department typically also weighs in on such requests, providing expertise on issues related to protecting sensitive technology.
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/07/1 ... g-00106433

Interagency coordination on arms exports can take a long time. Frustrating that this hasn’t been expedited.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:32 pm

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/ ... 41582?s=20

This Twitter thread with evidence from mobik social media postings and videos would suggest that the Russian logistics (and consequent morale) situation might actually be even worse than we thought.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:45 pm

jimbob wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:32 pm

This Twitter thread with evidence from mobik social media postings and videos would suggest that the Russian logistics (and consequent morale) situation might actually be even worse than we thought.
Or possibly, as someone in the comments suggested, that the CO hasn’t paid the requisite bribes to get supplied properly. The lack of Ukrainian breakthrough certainly doesn’t suggest that the Russians have actually run out of materiel yet.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:00 pm

Grumble wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:45 pm
jimbob wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:32 pm

Or possibly, as someone in the comments suggested, that the CO hasn’t paid the requisite bribes to get supplied properly. The lack of Ukrainian breakthrough certainly doesn’t suggest that the Russians have actually run out of materiel yet.
They could be having some pretty severe localised problems and have it not show yet because of the minefields, but that said, Ukrainian forces are slowly pressing forwards and have another six weeks or so to grind down Russian artillery and air defence with their own long ranged guns and missiles and to create the jumping off positions required if they want to have enough time left for an armoured blitzkrieg attempt before the mud gets bad.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:19 am

Russia has decided to allow vehicle traffic over the section of bridge that has "only" shifted a metre.

https://twitter.com/kevinrothrock/statu ... 1746539520

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:44 am

I wonder if they decided they had to risk it because of the pressure of panicked holidaymakers trying to GTF off Crimea.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:52 am

I suspect it's a PR stunt. Declare it reopened, show traffic flowing, then close it again.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:24 am

lpm wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:52 am
I suspect it's a PR stunt. Declare it reopened, show traffic flowing, then close it again.
I suspect there is some of that, and what they did after the last attack. But...
Martin Y wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:44 am
I wonder if they decided they had to risk it because of the pressure of panicked holidaymakers trying to GTF off Crimea.
If I was having a holiday there, I would be wanting to get off there and really wouldn't want to go any closer to the front line.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:47 am

Thread on the state of the Ukrainian offensive by someone who has been there and talked to soldiers: https://twitter.com/hoanssolo/status/16 ... 1zY-PW4R9w

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:51 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:47 am
Thread on the state of the Ukrainian offensive by someone who has been there and talked to soldiers: https://twitter.com/hoanssolo/status/16 ... 1zY-PW4R9w
I guess Elon has stopped folks reading twitter threads unless they're logged in? I don't have an account so what's the TLDR version?
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:00 am

Woodchopper wrote:
In terms of the lack of large scale combined arms operations, it’s important to note that this is very difficult to master and takes time. Get it wrong and they’ll end up killing their own troops. To take a WW1 example, the rolling barrage (ie coordinating artillery with an infantry advance) wasn’t perfected by the UK until around early 1917.

The Ukrainian armed forces were massively expanded in 2022 and coordinating infantry, armour, artillery and air is even more difficult. Natural that it’ll take time.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:02 am

TopBadger wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:51 am
Woodchopper wrote:
I guess Elon has stopped folks reading twitter threads unless they're logged in? I don't have an account so what's the TLDR version?
It’s going slow because it’s based on small scale infantry attacks to get through minefields. Ukraine hasn’t yet mastered large scale combined arms operations.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:03 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:02 am
TopBadger wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:51 am
Woodchopper wrote:
It’s going slow because it’s based on small scale infantry attacks to get through minefields. Ukraine hasn’t yet mastered large scale combined arms operations.
Found this, hope it works: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1681 ... 77697.html

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:38 pm

One major enabler for maneuver warfare that NATO has and that Ukrainians lack is air supremacy. Before you go throwing in your units on the ground to do whatever is you want them to do, you first want to attrit your opponent's ability to resist those assaults. The main thing that does that for NATO is airpower. A key reason that Gulf War I and II had fleets of armoured vehicles easily rushing across the desert was that the USAF, RAF and various other airforces had blown the crap out of the Iraqi air force and land forces before any armoured vehicle started moving or solder started marching. The Ukrainians can't do that, they have to do it WWI style. Combined arms is hard, it's even harder when you can't even employ an important branch of your military.

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:52 pm

Yep... that F-16 training program could and should have been started 12 months ago. In which case this summer offensive might have benefited from air cover.

Similarly ATACMS could and should have been supplied before Russia was able to disperse logistics, move it's fleet, spread out it's command structure, etc - Ukraine could have hit Russia's capacity to wage war much harder several months ago when things were more centralised.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:04 pm

It wouldn’t though have been possible to create in Ukraine Gulf War 1990 levels of air superiority. That took hundreds of aircraft against an enemy with far less capable air defence than present day Russia. It’s one thing to train existing Ukrainian fighter pilots to fly different aircraft, another to train them from scratch.

Recent wars have involved NATO being a flat track bully. We need to go back to, say, air operations against North Vietnam to find an example of a war against an adversary with the capability to fight back.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:38 pm

Ukraine, short of joining NATO, will never have air superiority let alone supremacy, even with gifted F-16s. That means they are going to have to do the hard graft of attritting mainly with artillery and the odd long range cruise missile. Manoeuvre warfare isn’t happening until the Russian logistics chain is seriously disrupted and their artillery is put out of action. The Ukrainians don’t necessarily need to do that across the whole front though.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:04 am

bjn wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:38 pm
Ukraine, short of joining NATO, will never have air superiority let alone supremacy, even with gifted F-16s. That means they are going to have to do the hard graft of attritting mainly with artillery and the odd long range cruise missile. Manoeuvre warfare isn’t happening until the Russian logistics chain is seriously disrupted and their artillery is put out of action. The Ukrainians don’t necessarily need to do that across the whole front though.
One thing that threads like the above seem to miss, though, is the extent to which that is happening. The rate of Russian artillery losses documented by Oryx is currently very high. Russian counter-battery radars are also taking a beating. Popov's angry rant included stuff about getting hammered by counter-battery fire without a response. Partly that's due to Ukraine's better C3I. Partly it's long ranged gun-howitzers like the CAESAR, PzH2000 and Krab. Partly its the use of GMLRS in the counterbattery role it was originally envisaged for.

The upshot is Russian losses are high, and between that and their loss of ammunition due to long range strikes, they can't sustain the high rates of shelling they wanted. That's leading them to pull up air defences nearer the frontline, but then they are getting hit - an S-400 system recently lost several components to GMLRS strikes.

My back's too bad to sensibly explain the issues relating to timing and climate right now, but I will when I get the chance.