bmforre
Snowbonk

Re: Donald Trump's health

Post by bmforre » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:53 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:22 pm
jimbob wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:16 pm
... we stayed in a holiday cottage in Mallaig a few years ago, and the owner's grandfather was Donald Duck, who had been born and named 10 years before the Disney character.
Can you imagine him getting pulled over by the cops, especially in the era before most people had printed ID?

"Name?"
"Donald Duck"
"Oh, comedian, eh?" *whack*
Surely he could have shown his driving licence, presumably with picture and name?

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:18 pm

bmforre wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:53 pm
sTeamTraen wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:22 pm
jimbob wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:16 pm
... we stayed in a holiday cottage in Mallaig a few years ago, and the owner's grandfather was Donald Duck, who had been born and named 10 years before the Disney character.
Can you imagine him getting pulled over by the cops, especially in the era before most people had printed ID?

"Name?"
"Donald Duck"
"Oh, comedian, eh?" *whack*
Surely he could have shown his driving licence, presumably with picture and name?
UK driving licences didn't have photos until about 20 years ago. (I haven't changed address since 1996 and so I still have one of the old green paper licenses with no photo card. This anachronism is increasingly puzzling to people who expect one to have photo ID.)

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:25 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:18 pm

UK driving licences didn't have photos until about 20 years ago. (I haven't changed address since 1996 and so I still have one of the old green paper licenses with no photo card. This anachronism is increasingly puzzling to people who expect one to have photo ID.)
Ditto, except I've not moved* since passing my test in '86.
I didn't have official photo id (other than passport) until I got my Irish passport card last year.

*house
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:07 pm

Is he taking a percentage for product placement? Or is it just he gets fixated?

Apparently it's not just soup cans that protesters are throwing... it's Bumble Bee brand cans of tuna too according to Trump as:
They throw it. It’s the perfect weight, tuna fish, they can really rip it, right? And that hits you. No, it’s true. Bumble Bee brand tuna. And you can throw that, you can put a curve on it, you can do whatever the hell you want.
Less "Bend It Like Beckham" and more "Riot Like Ronaldo"?

bmforre
Snowbonk

Trump has the virus

Post by bmforre » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:20 am

Trump confirms he has the virus
President Trump said early Friday that he and the first lady have tested positive for the coronavirus, throwing the nation’s leadership into uncertainty and escalating the crisis posed by a pandemic that has already killed more than 207,000 Americans and devastated the economy.

“Tonight, @FLOTUS and I tested positive for COVID-19,” Mr. Trump wrote on Twitter. “We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!”

The president’s result came after he spent months playing down the severity of the outbreak that has killed more than 207,000 in the United States and hours after insisting that “the end of the pandemic is in sight.”
What treatment will he be getting I wonder?

lpm
Junior Mod

Re: Trump has the virus

Post by lpm » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:31 am

Inject him with bleach. Cut him open so sunlight can reach his lungs.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:36 am

I hope to feel very sorry for his family
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

basementer
Dorkwood

Post by basementer » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:02 am

There's been discussion here and elsewhere about the possibility of false positive results from the tests. It's very worrying, so I hope that this turns out well.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:02 am

Thoughts and prayers
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

bmforre
Snowbonk

Post by bmforre » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:04 am

Anyone arranging meetings to pray for his health and recovery?

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:09 am

bmforre wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:04 am
Anyone arranging meetings to pray for his health and recovery?
I can't go, I'm busy doing something else that day.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:19 am

Get well soon mate.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:24 am

I have never wished death on anyone, and I’m trying really hard not to do so now.

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:34 am

I know some people have said that they will do anything to avoid the next televised debate, but this is a bit extreme.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

mediocrity511
Snowbonk

Post by mediocrity511 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:37 am

Can you imagine Trump if he doesn't get seriously ill though? I actually think from the point of view of saving as many lives as possible, he needs a pretty strong brush with death. If he remains asymptomatic then he will try to further trash the USA's pandemic response and downplay its severity.

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:37 am

shpalman wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:19 am
Get well soon mate.
Is he in "good spirits"?

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:39 am

mediocrity511 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:37 am
Can you imagine Trump if he doesn't get seriously ill though? I actually think from the point of view of saving as many lives as possible, he needs a pretty strong brush with death. If he remains asymptomatic then he will try to further trash the USA's pandemic response and downplay its severity.
Totally agree. If he gets no symptoms, or just very mild symptoms, it will totally reinforce his apparent belief that it's not serious.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:47 am

bagpuss wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:39 am
mediocrity511 wrote:
Totally agree. If he gets no symptoms, or just very mild symptoms, it will totally reinforce his apparent belief that it's not serious.
Just made this very point on the debates thread. Obviously he’ll be getting the best of care, sadly.

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:49 am

bagpuss wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:39 am
mediocrity511 wrote:
He's in his 70s, obese and with (possibly) other underlying health problems. I'm hoping he at least gets it as badly as Boris did (to make him realise that it's not "just the flu"!)
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:49 am

bjn wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:24 am
I have never wished death on anyone, and I’m trying really hard not to do so now.
A severe case followed by long COVID would do the job as well. And prolong his suffering. If he hadn’t been so dismissive of the science around this pandemic I wouldn’t be feeling quite this way, even though I don’t think I’d be wishing him well somehow.

Bewildered
Fuzzable

Post by Bewildered » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:52 am

Ok this was worth coming back in for, seeing as I have been waiting for it since March.

Please die, please die, please die...

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:54 am

jimbob wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:02 am
Thoughts and prayers
For Melania. This quarantine may be the most time she's had to spend with him.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

snoozeofreason
Snowbonk

Post by snoozeofreason » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:55 am

I'm keeping my schadenfreude in check, because I am not sure this is good news. There are two ways in which this could work well for Trump. The first is that, even at his age, he might experience only mild symptoms (or be able to pretend that they were mild). That will just add weight to his dismissive comments about the virus. The second is that he might experience more severe symptoms and that this might earn him a sympathy vote from right-leaning Americans. That wouldn't be logical, but there are right-leaning Americans who are none too bright. There's a good chance that some left-leaning Americans will audibly wish death or serious illness on him, which will help him (if the US is anything like the UK, then there plenty of left-leaning Americans who are none too bright as well).
In six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them. The human body was knocked up pretty late on the Friday afternoon, with a deadline looming. How well do you expect it to work?

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:58 am

Bewildered wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:52 am
Ok this was worth coming back in for, seeing as I have been waiting for it since March.

Please die, please die, please die...
No. Because if that happens, Trump is effectively beatified, Pence romps in on November 3rd and this utter shitshow just continues with a different malevolent face.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:10 am

Get well soon* Donald, mate.

*well slowly and painfully but definitely don’t die, I want you to witness the coming Blue Avalanche and have to own it and everything that follows.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.