Donald Trump's health

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
purplehaze
Fuzzable

Re: Trump has the virus

Post by purplehaze » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:32 pm

Mild symptoms? How would anyone be able to assess the loss of the sense of taste?

https://twitter.com/KevinBabbles/status ... 6023913472

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:43 pm

Twitter has been won for ever.

trump.png
trump.png (18.62 KiB) Viewed 2209 times
Something something hammer something something nail

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:49 pm

jimbob wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:16 pm
GOP Senator for Utah Mike Lee has also tested positive

https://twitter.com/SenMikeLee/status/1 ... 7992753152

He was at the White House a few days ago
Met with Judge Barrett, too, which will be interesting if she has to quarantine

dyqik
Princess POW

Re: Donald Trump's health

Post by dyqik » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:04 pm

monkey wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:18 pm
dyqik wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:22 am
Grumble wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:11 am

His term expires, but then again so does everyone else’s.
Only 1/3 of the senator's terms expire. 22 Republicans and 11 Democrat senators terms expire, leaving 31 Rs and 36 Ds.

Replacement Senators can be appointed without an election, by the state governor though, so someone is going to have to do the math on how many D governors there are.

Separately, the house elections wouldn't have to be delayed, and states will hold them even if the presidential election is delayed. That leaves the speaker of the incoming house as president, almost certainly Pelosi.
No they can't. 17th amendment says that senators are elected every 6 years. If a senator quits, dies, or is abducted by aliens, the governor gets to pick the temp, but must also call an election to pick the proper replacement.
As you say, yes they can.

That's exactly what I meant. It matters here in terms of the Presidential succession on Jan 21st, so before any special election could take place. If there's no president or VP, then it falls to the Speaker of the House, as chosen by the new Congress, and then the President pro tempore of the Senate, who is chosen by vote of the new Senate, including any appointed temps.

I don't know what happens to Congressional Reps if there's no Congressional election, but realistically, at least some states could declare a result there anyway, as votes have already been cast.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:25 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:49 pm
jimbob wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:16 pm
GOP Senator for Utah Mike Lee has also tested positive

https://twitter.com/SenMikeLee/status/1 ... 7992753152

He was at the White House a few days ago
Met with Judge Barrett, too, which will be interesting if she has to quarantine
Presumably that would blow a big hole in the timetable to get her through her nomination hearings unless they can do it via Zoom or something.

Filibuster is a tw.t’s move but Shirley with the election this close the Dems could run the clock down without breaking a sweat.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:35 pm

Worth remembering we are only aware of this because a journalist found out Hope Hicks had it; I do wonder how many people they would have let Trump infect without that revelation.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:44 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:04 pm
monkey wrote:
dyqik wrote:

Only 1/3 of the senator's terms expire. 22 Republicans and 11 Democrat senators terms expire, leaving 31 Rs and 36 Ds.

Replacement Senators can be appointed without an election, by the state governor though, so someone is going to have to do the math on how many D governors there are.

Separately, the house elections wouldn't have to be delayed, and states will hold them even if the presidential election is delayed. That leaves the speaker of the incoming house as president, almost certainly Pelosi.
No they can't. 17th amendment says that senators are elected every 6 years. If a senator quits, dies, or is abducted by aliens, the governor gets to pick the temp, but must also call an election to pick the proper replacement.

That's exactly what I meant. It matters here in terms of the Presidential succession on Jan 21st, so before any special election could take place. If there's no president or VP, then it falls to the Speaker of the House, as chosen by the new Congress, and then the President pro tempore of the Senate, who is chosen by vote of the new Senate, including any appointed temps.

I don't know what happens to Congressional Reps if there's no Congressional election, but realistically, at least some states could declare a result there anyway, as votes have already been cast.
It's just the cancel the election part that I'm questioning. The whole point of the 17th amendment was to elect Senators every 6 years. Cancelling an election would contravene this, even if it's only a postponement. I don't doubt that an election can be contested and a temp put in till the redo (that happened in New Hampshire 1974), but the election must happen before it can be contested. It's just not as easy to put a temp in as you seem to be making out, there's at least one extra hurdle: you have to prove that you can't trust an election result first.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:58 pm

A line by Andy Zaltzman at the start of this week's News Quiz
"We hope that the president not only recovers, but that he gets considerably better overall"
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:29 pm

Little waster wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:25 pm
the Dems could run the clock down without breaking a sweat.
ISWYDT (even if you didn't mean to).

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:47 pm

dyqik wrote:
Wikipedia says that 35 seats are up for grabs, currently 23R and 12D. It seems there are a couple of special elections for which I don't know the details. Anyway, the figures below are based on those numbers.
dyqik wrote:
The 12 Democrats mentioned above are from 12 different states, with 3 R and 9 D governors. One of the 3 is Alabama, where Doug Jones juuuust scraped home in 2017 against the creepy stalker of teens Roy Moore; if he's honest with himself he probably has not been planning a long Senate career since then.

The 23 Republicans are from 22 different states, but I will clone Georgia (2 elections) for present purposes. On that basis there are 16 R and 7 D governors for these 23 outgoing R senators.

Thus, if the election were to be cancelled and the governors were to appoint new senators along party lines, 23R/12D would become (3 + 16) = 19 R and (9 + 7 = 16) D.

The remaining senators (not contesting elections) are 30 R and 35 D (in fact 33 D plus two independents, but they can be counted with the Democrats -- one is Bernie Sanders). So the new Senate would be 49 R-51 D. :D

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:46 pm

30-50 Feral Hogs GOP Donors were within 6ft of Trump - Republican donors reportedly furious they were exposed to COVID risk

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:09 pm

monkey wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:44 pm
dyqik wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:04 pm
monkey wrote:

It's just the cancel the election part that I'm questioning. The whole point of the 17th amendment was to elect Senators every 6 years. Cancelling an election would contravene this, even if it's only a postponement. I don't doubt that an election can be contested and a temp put in till the redo (that happened in New Hampshire 1974), but the election must happen before it can be contested. It's just not as easy to put a temp in as you seem to be making out, there's at least one extra hurdle: you have to prove that you can't trust an election result first.
Probably you're right there.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:11 pm

Apparently being treated with "Regeneron's polyclonal antibody cocktail" https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/statu ... 46752?s=19
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:15 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:02 pm
First "good spirits" has been sighted in the wild!

https://twitter.com/JoshNBCNews/status/ ... 3558196224
.@NBCNews @PeterAlexander confirms Trump is experiencing “mild symptoms” of COVID, per a White House official. Says he’s in “good spirits
There is now official confirmation from the White House physician that he is indeed in "good spirits"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EjWbloFUwAE ... name=large

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:18 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:11 pm
Apparently being treated with "Regeneron's polyclonal antibody cocktail" https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/statu ... 46752?s=19
I see he's "in good spirits".

Next stop the intensive care ward then.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:23 pm

JQH wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:18 pm
Stephanie wrote:
I see he's "in good spirits".

Next stop the intensive care ward then.
Looks like that - apparently he's about to be flown to Walter Reed. Right now. News just broke.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:23 pm

HOSPITAL!!!
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:26 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:23 pm
HOSPITAL!!!
Here’s the link: https://apnews.com/article/virus-outbre ... ce=Twitter

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:26 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:23 pm
HOSPITAL!!!
Even my eyes are crossed
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:27 pm

If he declined this fast - not a good advert for "Regeneron's polyclonal antibody cocktail".

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:39 pm

bob sterman wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:27 pm
If he declined this fast - not a good advert for "Regeneron's polyclonal antibody cocktail".
Sounds like the sort of snake oil Trump would go for, and would very sadly be ineffective. I mean it could be a genuine thing but it sounds dodgy.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:41 pm

Allergic reaction?

Of course, Trump is a moany sh.t. Not a stoic patient. If I was his doctor, I'd order him onto a ventilator just to shut him up.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:46 pm

Stephanie wrote:
From what I've seen of this before, it's a genuinely promising treatment, nothing like the pushing of hydrochloroquine, but it's still rather early in its development.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:52 pm

Grumble wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:39 pm
bob sterman wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:27 pm
Sounds like the sort of snake oil Trump would go for, and would very sadly be ineffective. I mean it could be a genuine thing but it sounds dodgy.
Monoclonal and polyclonal antibodies are a legit treatment approach that's been under investigation for a while, and also proved the most successful approach in trials against Ebola. The question isn't is the approach woo, the question is "is this particular antibody cocktail effective given it's still quite early in its development, and if it is effective, is it effective enough to protect an obese 74yo who probably has a heart problem?"

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:59 pm

Oop. Now he’s been transferred to Walter Reed.

Those thoughts and prayers for Melania worked then.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.