Are GMC hearings always like this? The Freeman (British Cycling doctor) hearing

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
greyspoke
Fuzzable

Are GMC hearings always like this? The Freeman (British Cycling doctor) hearing

Post by greyspoke » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:32 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/50387501
Blimey. Are these witnesses that Freeman's counsel is referring to going to be called? Or is this a massive kite-flying exercise in the hope that some witnesses appear out of the woodwork? (In which case, the publicity will have helped the cause.) Professional rules* should mean she can't say there are witnesses unless there are. But maybe the publicity will mean that some who are actually prepared to give evidence come forward, or perhaps the existing ones change their mind and decide to actually give evidence.

And of course the doping issue. A lot of smoke. I am still not convinced about the size of the fire.

* I know it isn't a court case, but the general idea still applies.

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Re: Are GMC hearings always like this? The Freeman (British Cycling doctor) hearing

Post by Boustrophedon » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:54 pm

I read that, several times, trying to comprehend who was on trial and who said what about whom. I think I have it now, but really a terribly written piece from the point of view of someone who knows nothing about the case or the people involved.

I'm not sure any of the protagonists came out of it smelling of roses, I wouldn't want to meet any of them.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

GeenDienst
Dorkwood

Re: Are GMC hearings always like this? The Freeman (British Cycling doctor) hearing

Post by GeenDienst » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:16 am

You're thinking of THAT GMC case now.

Yes, you are.
Just tell 'em I'm broke and don't come round here no more.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:35 pm

Boustrophedon wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:54 pm
I read that, several times, trying to comprehend who was on trial and who said what about whom. I think I have it now, but really a terribly written piece from the point of view of someone who knows nothing about the case or the people involved.

I'm not sure any of the protagonists came out of it smelling of roses, I wouldn't want to meet any of them.
The opening line says it's "Dr Richard Freeman's medical tribunal". Unless they are a psych band, then I reckon that makes the emboldened part pretty unambiguous.
Also, it's an update on an ongoing story that has been in the press for months. Not everything has to have a full recap

marbling
Buzzberry

Post by marbling » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:11 pm

To contribute to the original question; I think the GMC are probably used to tantrums during their hearings. However, this would more usually emanate from the doctor under investigation. I suspect that this sort of behaviour from a witness is unusual. I agree that nobody appears to emerge smelling of roses.