Nick Catone sues Facebook, and freedom of speech...

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Re: Nick Catone sues Facebook, and freedom of speech...

Post by Stephanie » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:13 pm

Ok well, I don't know anything about what Facebook have or haven't done about Maxine Waters. Either way, I already said that there was evidence senior execs were intervening in decisions, but we're unlikely to agree about the direction it was taking.
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:41 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:13 pm
Ok well, I don't know anything about what Facebook have or haven't done about Maxine Waters. Either way, I already said that there was evidence senior execs were intervening in decisions, but we're unlikely to agree about the direction it was taking.
I think it works both ways, to be clear, but the subconscious bias leans in tune with what you'd expect of Ivy-league educated wealthy Californian liberals.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:25 pm

There's not really much equivalence between the capitol insurrection and antifa, either.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:43 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:25 pm
There's not really much equivalence between the capitol insurrection and antifa, either.
Antifa damaged more property and hurt more people, but they weren't trying to explicitly change the result of an election. I don't think Facebook really followed their own standards to the letter in either case. They banned somebody who whilst responsible for a crowd showing up, did explicitly ask people not to be violent, and took no action against others who were excusing or justifying violence. The incitement to violence justification used in one case and not the others seemed like paper-thin cover for political bias to me.

Chris Preston
Snowbonk

Post by Chris Preston » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:37 pm

sheldrake wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:43 pm
The incitement to violence justification used in one case and not the others seemed like paper-thin cover for political bias to me.
That says more about you than it does about anything else.
Here grows much rhubarb.

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:39 pm

Yes, it says I sympathize with victims of violence irrespective of the self-justification of the perpetrators. What's your excuse?

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:47 pm

Those poor, poor fascists.

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:50 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:47 pm
Those poor, poor fascists.
Antifa don't just attack fascists. They make life miserable for all kinds of people. Please watch this with an open mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjiqS8gPPB0

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:13 pm

The daily signal has lots of fascinating perspectives that sure will open your mind to the toxic pollution of liberal bias. Highly unrecommended.

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:16 pm

It's an interview with a black police officer from Portland. I'd love you to cast an expert eye and explain exactly how the brainwashing is edited in to this one.

Perhaps big crowds of wired youth with their faces obscured by bandanas yelling 'fascist scum!' at everybody who disagrees with them and setting fire to stuff are actually just another kind of dangerous mob sometimes?

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:25 pm

pffft those kids are about as scary as the rebel dude in Breakfast Club

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:28 pm

plodder wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:25 pm
pffft those kids are about as scary as the rebel dude in Breakfast Club
Please watch the interview. People have been killed by these ‘kids’. Neighbourhood businesses smashed up and set on fire.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:50 am

I watched it. he’s not the fa they’re anti and his complaint is mainly around angry white kids interrupting black kids when he was trying to talk to them.

We all know kids, especially privileged ones, can be dickheads.

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:49 am

plodder wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:50 am
I watched it. he’s not the fa they’re anti and his complaint is mainly around angry white kids interrupting black kids when he was trying to talk to them.

We all know kids, especially privileged ones, can be dickheads.
You caught the part about smashed up businesses and assaults though? Point is, this went on across multiple US cities for months, and inciting or excusing it wasnt punished by FB at all.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:13 am

so what does your video have to do with that? When I look at the other videos they published they clearly have a strong alt right bias, with eg an emphasis on the dangers of immigration. What point are you trying to make about media bias? That fb is no different from any other sole-proprietor media organisation, but they just use tech to fool us into thinking it's us, not them, who are driving the agenda?

We've known this for years, you're on a forum of intelligent people, you're dragging the conversation back to the ABCs again.

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:19 am

plodder wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:13 am
so what does your video have to do with that?
I’m not promoting any of their other content. That interview is purely to establish that antifa are a violent group who make life grim for plenty of people who aren’t fascists.
That fb is no different from any other sole-proprietor media organisation, but they just use tech to fool us into thinking it's us, not them, who are driving the agenda?

We've known this for years, you're on a forum of intelligent people, you're dragging the conversation back to the ABCs again.
I dont think everybody is aware of the techniques used or what the actual biases are, no.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:28 am

What are the actual biases in the Daily Telegraph, or Private Eye, or the BBC? The solutions tend to be the same: before an organisation becomes a monopoly, break it up.

The underlying problem is that in the internet era new monopolies can emerge very quickly, putting enormous stress on what little power the regulators have left.

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:30 am

plodder wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:28 am
What are the actual biases in the Daily Telegraph, or Private Eye, or the BBC? The solutions tend to be the same: before an organisation becomes a monopoly, break it up.

The underlying problem is that in the internet era new monopolies can emerge very quickly, putting enormous stress on what little power the regulators have left.
I came into the thread agreeing with all of that. I don't agree with you about everything but I’m not here to troll you.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:46 am

and yet here we are, talking (again) about how the alt right sees things clearly when the idea was to talk about something different for a change (again).

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:53 am

plodder wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:46 am
and yet here we are, talking (again) about how the alt right sees things clearly
Eh? I’m not saying that.

Cardinal Fang
Snowbonk

Post by Cardinal Fang » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:58 pm

Were the people smashing things up really antifa, or were they black bloc protesters?

Whilst black bloc protesters do sometimes appear at antifa protests, you'll also see them at anti-capitalist, anti-globalization, anti-nuclear weapons, anti austerity demos, anarchist marches and so forth.

Black bloc and antifa are not the same thing. Black bloc is a tactic (i.e. wearing black and masks to make it hard to differentiate between individuals; emphasis on strong direct action up to and including violence), antifa is an organising principle.

If it helps, think about the difference between XR stopping traffic and environmentalism.

CF

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:02 pm

Cardinal Fang wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:58 pm
Were the people smashing things up really antifa, or were they black bloc protesters?

Whilst black bloc protesters do sometimes appear at antifa protests, you'll also see them at anti-capitalist, anti-globalization, anti-nuclear weapons, anti austerity demos, anarchist marches and so forth.

Black bloc and antifa are not the same thing. Black bloc is a tactic (i.e. wearing black and masks to make it hard to differentiate between individuals; emphasis on strong direct action up to and including violence), antifa is an organising principle.

If it helps, think about the difference between XR stopping traffic and environmentalism.

CF
I was not aware of that distinction, thank you Cardinal. The point of concern for me is that action wasn't taken against prominent people excusing/justifying the actions described here.

Pishwish
Clardic Fug

Post by Pishwish » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:04 am

Yeah, judge for yourself whether Maxine Waters was "excusing/justifying antifa violence."

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:53 am

Pishwish wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:04 am
Yeah, judge for yourself whether Maxine Waters was "excusing/justifying antifa violence."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56810245

"We've got to get more confrontational. We've got to make sure that they know that we mean business."

This clearly crosses the same line Trump is supposed to have crossed. She wasn't the only one.

Snopes' article is mostly a rambling distraction about something that happened in 1992. They're not an objective source.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:38 am

Bit of a difference between being a president who can't handle losing an election, and a black person who can't handle racist cops getting away with murder.