The Death Of Fossil Fuels

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Gfamily
Dorkwood

Re: The Death Of Fossil Fuels

Post by Gfamily » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:09 pm

AMS wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:56 pm
I was reading earlier today about electric combi boilers as replacement for gas. Anyone know if they're any good? It did say that gas is cheaper than leccy for heating per kW, but that this is partially offset by electric boilers being more efficient - close to 100% in fact, as for this application, energy lost as heat is kind of the point.
Presumably gas is much worse for efficiency because of heat carried away in the flue gases.

So when our current elderly boiler dies, are they worth it? (My view of electric water heaters is tarnished by those units you used to get on the hot water tap in places like village halls or pub toilets, which uniformly do nothing to the water temperature.)
Condensing Gas boilers are now about 90% efficient or so we're told.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

dyqik
After Pie

Post by dyqik » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:16 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:09 pm
AMS wrote:
I was reading earlier today about electric combi boilers as replacement for gas. Anyone know if they're any good? It did say that gas is cheaper than leccy for heating per kW, but that this is partially offset by electric boilers being more efficient - close to 100% in fact, as for this application, energy lost as heat is kind of the point.
Presumably gas is much worse for efficiency because of heat carried away in the flue gases.

So when our current elderly boiler dies, are they worth it? (My view of electric water heaters is tarnished by those units you used to get on the hot water tap in places like village halls or pub toilets, which uniformly do nothing to the water temperature.)
Condensing Gas boilers are now about 90% efficient or so we're told.
95% plus.

But the significantly more efficient option is a heat pump system. Those have efficiencies* approaching 300-400% in the UK environment, and thus about the same price to run as gas.

*Coefficient of performance

Grumble
Catbabel

Post by Grumble » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:38 pm

AMS wrote:

Fully charged did an episode on a hot water tank a couple of years ago and say that they’re going to do much more on domestic heat soon.

https://fullycharged.show/episodes/mixe ... ater-tank/
I could squeeze my lemon till my blues went away, if I had possession over pancake day

Martin_B
Snowbonk

Post by Martin_B » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:18 pm

AMS wrote:

One issue with electric combi boilers (at least when I last looked into them) was their time to reach temperature. Gas combi boilers start hitting the desired water outlet temperature almost immediately; basically once the water that was just about to enter the boiler reaches the outlet it should be at temperature, because flame heat is instantaneous. Electric combi boilers have to heat the element up to temperature before the water outlet temperature hits the target. This leads to more under-heated water flowing through the system and, ultimately, straight down the plughole until the hot water reaches the tap. Electric combi boilers may have improved element reaction time in the last few years, but they cannot compete with gas for reaction time.

Gas combi boilers can struggle with low load, though; if you want hot water at a small but continuous amount, you can end up with the combi boiler cycling on and off and varying the water temperature - electric combi boilers handle this far better (at least if their control system is good enough - I've seen some where the control system was based on the gas version so was the worst of both worlds!)
"Don't tell me that the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Grumble
Catbabel

Post by Grumble » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:31 am

This may be a silly question, but why don’t we use microwaves to heat water?
I could squeeze my lemon till my blues went away, if I had possession over pancake day

shpalman
Dorkwood

Post by shpalman » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:36 am

Grumble wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:31 am
Some answers from reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/com ... the_water/
molto tricky

Grumble
Catbabel

Post by Grumble » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:39 am

At my lab we heat water quickly by having a spiral tube wrapped around an element. Terrible for static water but great for flowing water. You may run the risk of local boiling if there’s a lot of heat in the body when flow turns off, but it should be possible to design something like that. I may resort to drawing a system in Paint.

Grumble
Catbabel

Post by Grumble » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:41 am

shpalman wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:36 am
Grumble wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:31 am
Some answers from reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/com ... the_water/
Ta, I knew I couldn’t be the first to think of that while having a shower!

Grumble
Catbabel

Post by Grumble » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:53 am

I don’t think we’ve had this one, old news now but still awesome, superconducting wind turbine!
https://phys.org/news/2019-11-supercond ... ccess.html

bjn
Snowbonk

Post by bjn » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:09 pm

BP has read the writing on the wall and has pledged to cut oil production 50% by 2030 as well as the emissions generated to make their stuff. Zero carbon by 2050 (with a minor weasel in that last one).

They also significantly reduced their dividends, partly as a response to the COVID downturn and partly to fund renewables. They plan on increasing investment in “low carbon energy” from $500 million to around $5 billion per year by 2030. Their share price has increased on this news.

Grumble
Catbabel

Post by Grumble » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:38 pm

bjn wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:09 pm
BP has read the writing on the wall and has pledged to cut oil production 50% by 2030 as well as the emissions generated to make their stuff. Zero carbon by 2050 (with a minor weasel in that last one).

They also significantly reduced their dividends, partly as a response to the COVID downturn and partly to fund renewables. They plan on increasing investment in “low carbon energy” from $500 million to around $5 billion per year by 2030. Their share price has increased on this news.
Good, BP have been reasonably fairly accused of green washing before but this looks more substantive.

Bird on a Fire
Stummy Beige

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:55 pm

Excellent news, thanks bjn!
Born at 356.32 ppm CO2

Sciolus
Fuzzable

Post by Sciolus » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:40 pm

Latest coal-free run ended after 55 days, because of low winds, and hot weather meaning gas-fired stations generate less.

Grumble
Catbabel

Post by Grumble » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:05 pm

Sciolus wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:40 pm
Latest coal-free run ended after 55 days, because of low winds, and hot weather meaning gas-fired stations generate less.
Yes, that does highlight the need for large amounts of stored power that we can call on when required. We’ve essentially had a few days of next to no wind production and building more capacity of generation isn’t going to solve that. Orange is gas in these graphs.
8F3E132C-14F3-417D-B633-2A276B486B4D.jpeg
8F3E132C-14F3-417D-B633-2A276B486B4D.jpeg (465.42 KiB) Viewed 40 times