Quick, someone, post more silly stuff.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Re: Get well soon Boris

Post by Stephanie » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:24 pm

lpm wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:23 pm
In fact I didn't post many names. Only about 0.2% of those currently ill. I've still got to post get well soons to the remaining 99.8%. When this thread is 500 pages long, with every post one of those lists, then it will reflect the true situation. Makes you think, doesn't it. Well, if you are capable of thought, it makes you think. All these ill people deserve nice thoughts from Scrutable members, not just a single Londoner with scruffy hair and a tendency to let epidemics run unchecked. Anyone who moans about the length of the list on a silly forum thread should think about about the length of the list of new arrivals at a hospital or the length of the list of bodies temporarily stored in a refrigerated truck. And then realise what should actually be said to Boris Johnson isn’t “get well soon mate” but “go f.ck yourself you useless lazy egotistical lying callous self-serving abusive thug".
i think i might want this on a t-shirt
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:33 pm

Maybe we will only need about 800 condolences threads per day over the next couple of weeks.

That's roughly the difference between the number of deaths per day which you will reach in the UK (about 1000, similar to Italy and Spain), and the number they will reach in Germany (about 200), at the peak.

That difference goes to show what you can do achieve if you order a lockdown properly and in time, which Johnson failed to do, and have a properly working health service, which Johnson's party has done its best to avoid having.

Once we have properly mourned those several thousand deaths which could have been avoided, we can go and check if Johnson is still alive.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:36 pm

I mean, it's a view, certainly.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:47 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:24 pm
lpm wrote:
In fact I didn't post many names. Only about 0.2% of those currently ill. I've still got to post get well soons to the remaining 99.8%. When this thread is 500 pages long, with every post one of those lists, then it will reflect the true situation. Makes you think, doesn't it. Well, if you are capable of thought, it makes you think. All these ill people deserve nice thoughts from Scrutable members, not just a single Londoner with scruffy hair and a tendency to let epidemics run unchecked. Anyone who moans about the length of the list on a silly forum thread should think about about the length of the list of new arrivals at a hospital or the length of the list of bodies temporarily stored in a refrigerated truck. And then realise what should actually be said to Boris Johnson isn’t “get well soon mate” but “go f.ck yourself you useless lazy egotistical lying callous self-serving abusive thug".
As it happens I got it on a tea-towel as a Secret Santa gift back in December. What are the chances? :shock:
Attachments
Xmas tea-towel.jpg
Xmas tea-towel.jpg (154.4 KiB) Viewed 4781 times
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:58 pm

greyspoke wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:50 pm
This is the public bit of the forum, you get to this forum by Googling "scrutable boris". Admittedly, what you get is "Boris is an idiot"...
Sorry...
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:59 pm

murmur wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:58 pm
greyspoke wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:50 pm
This is the public bit of the forum, you get to this forum by Googling "scrutable boris". Admittedly, what you get is "Boris is an idiot"...
Sorry...
i mean, that's nicer than what I'd say to him

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:02 pm

Little waster wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:47 pm
Stephanie wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:24 pm
lpm wrote:
As it happens I got it on a tea-towel as a Secret Santa gift back in December. What are the chances? :shock:
You've had a tea towel for three months and it isn't burned/stained yet?

Pretty impressive, Lil Wayster.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Blackcountryboy
Stargoon

Post by Blackcountryboy » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:10 pm

I f Boris did die he would be promoted as, and remembered, by the Conservative Party and the right-wing media as the genius who was robbed of the opportunity to release Britain’s true potential in the post Brexit age by the Coronavirus.

If he survives the same people will describe him as the genius who was robbed of the opportunity to release Britain’s true potential in the post Brexit age by the Coronavirus.

I certainly don’t remember Maggie as she is now depicted by the Tory Party and their supporters in the media.

Pucksoppet
Snowbonk

Post by Pucksoppet » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:17 pm

lpm wrote:
Well, whatever I think of his actions, he's still human (I assume), and wishing harm to other people isn't nice. I think some of the things he has done, and decisions he has made have been unwise, and I would think twice before putting him in charge of a rota for cleaning a blackboard, let alone having responsibility for anything else. He appears to be intelligent, lazy, and callous.
I can hope for a Damascene conversion, and after his speedy and full recovery surprise us all with well-thought out and executed humanitarian policies. If he is irredeemable, then I can hope at least he ends up somewhere where he can do no harm.

ETA: In my dealings with people, I try to hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:29 pm

you don't have to wish harm, but you don't have to wish him f.cking well either.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:33 pm

Can I wish him down a well?
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:42 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:33 pm
now i have an earworm

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:01 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:42 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:33 pm
now i have an earworm
Aww I was hoping for this
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

plebian

Post by plebian » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:22 pm

Tinfoil hat territory but how likely is it that he got it on purpose?

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:49 pm

plebian wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:22 pm
He'll be kicking himself if he dies.

So is he going to die, then? I mean, LPM said elsewhere it was about the right stage for an autoimmune reaction to get him but I don't know if that was serious or just a bit of catastrophising to cheer us up. Has his doc packed him off to hospital because he reckons there's a cytokine storm coming?

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:51 pm

plebian wrote:
I find your ideas intriguing and wonder if you have a newsletter available for subscription?

Why? What is the benefit? And for whom? (Seriously.)
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:10 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:49 pm
plebian wrote:

So is he going to die, then? I mean, LPM said elsewhere it was about the right stage for an autoimmune reaction to get him but I don't know if that was serious or just a bit of catastrophising to cheer us up. Has his doc packed him off to hospital because he reckons there's a cytokine storm coming?
Doesn't sound as if he's at serious risk. But being not too ill in the first week doesn't rule out being very ill in the second. He might well be in hospital for days, then in recovery for a couple of weeks.

He really shouldn't be working. Politically it's a mistake - he's looking like the sort of macho tw.t who's scared to go to the doctors. Women voters in particular would rate him higher if he was upfront and acknowledged we all can get ill and need help.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:18 pm

He’s in intensive care now. Have we ever had a prime minister die in post? I imagine we have, we’ve had a lot of them after all, but when was the last?
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:22 pm

lpm wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:10 pm
Martin Y wrote:
plebian wrote:

Doesn't sound as if he's at serious risk. But being not too ill in the first week doesn't rule out being very ill in the second. He might well be in hospital for days, then in recovery for a couple of weeks.

He really shouldn't be working. Politically it's a mistake - he's looking like the sort of macho tw.t who's scared to go to the doctors. Women voters in particular would rate him higher if he was upfront and acknowledged we all can get ill and need help.
Don't bother reading this it's mainly just "look how healthy and sporty Boris is despite being obviously obese" except for the quote right at the end:
Purnell [author of Just Boris: A Tale of Blond Ambition] says the hospital admission will be difficult for Johnson who, like his father, rarely admits to illness or notices it in others. “When I worked with him as his deputy [in the Daily Telegraph’s Brussels bureau], he was certainly very, very intolerant of illness in others, and considered it as sort of a weakness.”
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:24 pm

Grumble wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:18 pm
He’s in intensive care now. Have we ever had a prime minister die in post? I imagine we have, we’ve had a lot of them after all, but when was the last?
Which one did Henry Bellingham shoot? (That was quite a while ago, though.)

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:29 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:24 pm
Grumble wrote:
Wiki list of heads of state who died in office: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_h ... _in_office
Spencer Compton, Earl of Wilmington 1743 Great Britain Prime Minister
Henry Pelham 1754 Great Britain Prime Minister
Charles Watson-Wentworth, Marquess of Rockingham 1782 Great Britain Prime Minister Illness – influenza

William Pitt the Younger 1806 United Kingdom Prime Minister Illness
Spencer Perceval 1812 United Kingdom Prime Minister Assassination – shooting
George Canning 1827 United Kingdom Prime Minister Illness

Henry Temple, Viscount Palmerston 1865 United Kingdom Prime Minister Illness

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:31 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:24 pm
Grumble wrote:
That was Spencer Perceval
The last to die in office was Palmerston in 1865

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Records_o ... _in_office

Ninja'd
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:36 pm

lpm wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:10 pm
Martin Y wrote:
plebian wrote:

That didn't age well.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:45 pm

Aaaand, he’s been moved to intensive care.