Italian bridge collapse

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Post Reply
plodder
Catbabel
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:50 pm

Italian bridge collapse

Post by plodder » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:36 pm


User avatar
Gfamily
Dorkwood
Posts: 1526
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Re: Italian bridge collapse

Post by Gfamily » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:45 pm

plodder wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:36 pm
another one

https://www.lemonde.fr/international/ar ... _3210.html
The Google Maps 3D view of the 'before'
aulla bridge.JPG
aulla bridge.JPG (103.63 KiB) Viewed 956 times
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

User avatar
Brightonian
Fuzzable
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:16 pm

Re: Italian bridge collapse

Post by Brightonian » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:13 pm

Replacement for the Morandi bridge now finished: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ly-morandi

User avatar
shpalman
Dorkwood
Posts: 1583
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Italian bridge collapse

Post by shpalman » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:16 pm

It's being tested by having heavy lorries drive on it, before the final asphalt gets laid down.

It's going to have a relatively low speed limit on it (70-80 km/h), because of the curves at the ends of it I think.
molto tricky

bmforre
Fuzzable
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:15 pm
Location: Trondheim

Re: Italian bridge collapse

Post by bmforre » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:19 am

Le Monde reports the ceremonial opening today, Monday August 3, of the new bridge in Genoa replacing the failed Morandi one less than 2 years after the fall.

The building of this very important new bridge seems to stand out as a massive concordant effort. Not even the pandemic has been able to hold it back significantly. Very interesting reading but this article is marked as "reserved to subscribers".

I know the Guardian has reported on this. Will the BBC take up this news and analysis?

User avatar
tenchboy
Snowbonk
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:18 pm
Location: Down amongst the potamogeton.

Re: Italian bridge collapse

Post by tenchboy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:32 am

bmforre wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:19 am
Le Monde reports the ceremonial opening today, Monday August 3, of the new bridge in Genoa replacing the failed Morandi one less than 2 years after the fall.

The building of this very important new bridge seems to stand out as a massive concordant effort. Not even the pandemic has been able to hold it back significantly. Very interesting reading but this article is marked as "reserved to subscribers".

I know the Guardian has reported on this. Will the BBC take up this news and analysis?
Yes.

User avatar
shpalman
Dorkwood
Posts: 1583
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Italian bridge collapse

Post by shpalman » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:48 am

Why does the BBC article say that his design is "echoing a giant ship"? It's literally a road on pillars. (ETA It's because Renzo himself used the word vascello maybe to feel like a road on pillars wasn't a boring thing to be designing.)

I mean, I'm glad Renzo Piano basically "just" designed a simple road on pillars instead of going for something flashy or gimmicky, as Morandi's original design was.

ETA the successful completion of this piece of motorway infrastructure in Genova may not be appreciated by anyone who's tried to actually get to Genova over the past few weeks and been stuck in hours of tailbacks due to roadworks which somehow couldn't have been done during the lockdown.
molto tricky

AMS
Fuzzable
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:14 pm

Re: Italian bridge collapse

Post by AMS » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:01 pm

Nice bridge. Looks nothing like a ship though.

User avatar
shpalman
Dorkwood
Posts: 1583
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Italian bridge collapse

Post by shpalman » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:29 pm

Interview with the boss of one of the four companies which worked 24/7 to make the concrete. Apparently the architect asked for "huggable" concrete.
molto tricky

bmforre
Fuzzable
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:15 pm
Location: Trondheim

Re: Italian bridge collapse

Post by bmforre » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:09 am

shpalman wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:29 pm
Interview with the boss of one of the four companies which worked 24/7 to make the concrete. Apparently the architect asked for "huggable" concrete.
In what language? Any idea of what intention he tried to convey?

User avatar
shpalman
Dorkwood
Posts: 1583
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Italian bridge collapse

Post by shpalman » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:05 am

bmforre wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:09 am
shpalman wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:29 pm
Interview with the boss of one of the four companies which worked 24/7 to make the concrete. Apparently the architect asked for "huggable" concrete.
In what language? Any idea of what intention he tried to convey?
Italian.

No. And neither did the boss, who then apparently asked for a more technical specification.

I can't remember which news program I saw it on.
molto tricky

User avatar
jimbob
Dorkwood
Posts: 1203
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: Italian bridge collapse

Post by jimbob » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:22 am

shpalman wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:05 am
bmforre wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:09 am
shpalman wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:29 pm
Interview with the boss of one of the four companies which worked 24/7 to make the concrete. Apparently the architect asked for "huggable" concrete.
In what language? Any idea of what intention he tried to convey?
Italian.

No. And neither did the boss, who then apparently asked for a more technical specification.

I can't remember which news program I saw it on.
I'd have thought that if you were replacing a bridge that had collapsed in a notorious accident, you wouldn't want anything fancy.as being a bit inappropriate.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

User avatar
basementer
Snowbonk
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm
Location: Aotearoa

Re: Italian bridge collapse

Post by basementer » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:03 am

shpalman wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:05 am
bmforre wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:09 am
shpalman wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:29 pm
Interview with the boss of one of the four companies which worked 24/7 to make the concrete. Apparently the architect asked for "huggable" concrete.
In what language? Any idea of what intention he tried to convey?
Italian.

No. And neither did the boss, who then apparently asked for a more technical specification.

I can't remember which news program I saw it on.
Something like "familiar and trustworthy" as opposed to "innovative" maybe?
mean berets
meant beers

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2986
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: nadir of brie

Re: Italian bridge collapse

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:51 pm

The underside does look a bit like the hull of a ship, to be fair. And I expect the architect paid attention to its aesthetics because of all the people that will pass underneath it, as well as on top.
Born at 356.32 ppm CO2

User avatar
shpalman
Dorkwood
Posts: 1583
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Italian bridge collapse

Post by shpalman » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:28 pm

It's open now and there were queues on it already. But that was partly due to people slowing down to take photos and videos.
molto tricky

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2986
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: nadir of brie

Re: Italian bridge collapse

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:01 am

I drove over Vasco da Gama bridge today, picking up my sister from the airport.

Now that is a bridge that looks like a ship. I'm really quite fond of it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasco_da_Gama_Bridge - look at those sails! 😍
Born at 356.32 ppm CO2

Post Reply