Starmer

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
discovolante
After Pie

Re: Starmer

Post by discovolante » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:16 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:56 pm
Prediction: people who mocked Corbyn supporters (and putting-up-with-ers) for lamenting the role of the mainstream media in undermining the Labour leader will suddenly now notice it happening to their spick-and-span media-friendly guy.
At least Blair had the gumption to be a bit slick with the media to get them onside.
don't get any big ideas, they're not gonna happen

headshot
Fuzzable

Post by headshot » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:15 am

Yeah, my problem with Corbyn, Milne et al, was that they didn’t appear to have any kind of strategy to get the media on side.

Blair and Campbell were masters of that.

Woodchopper
After Pie

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:32 am

discovolante wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:16 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Prediction: people who mocked Corbyn supporters (and putting-up-with-ers) for lamenting the role of the mainstream media in undermining the Labour leader will suddenly now notice it happening to their spick-and-span media-friendly guy.
At least Blair had the gumption to be a bit slick with the media to get them onside.
Yes, the Sun, Mail etc will always be hostile to the leader of the Labour Party. The point is to make that difficult.

noggins
Sindis Poop

Post by noggins » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:33 pm

Corbyn managed to mostly lose the Guardian. The f.cking Guardian for f.cking f.cks sake.

AMS
Fuzzable

Post by AMS » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:15 pm

noggins wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:33 pm
Corbyn managed to mostly lose the Guardian. The f.cking Guardian for f.cking f.cks sake.
And don't forget, Corbyn's director of strategy was a Guardian journalist.

Bird on a Fire
Stummy Beige

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:22 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:32 am
discovolante wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Yes, the Sun, Mail etc will always be hostile to the leader of the Labour Party. The point is to make that difficult.
I thought the Sun backed Blair?
Born at 356.32 ppm CO2 #ShowYourStripes

Aitch
Fuzzable

Post by Aitch » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:31 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:22 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
discovolante wrote:

I thought the Sun backed whoever it thought had the best chance of winning, even if only by a small margin.
Some people call me strange.
I prefer unconventional.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept eccentric

Little waster
Catbabel

Post by Little waster » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:23 pm

noggins wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:33 pm
Well TBF this is the same Guardian that hailed the election of Cameron's spiteful and incompetent Coalition as "the Liberal Moment" and wrote a hagiography for IDS when he announced his plan to starve the poor and disabled unless they stacked shelves for free. They continued to go out to bat for the Coalition's shameful actions right up to the next election while the Guardian's leader writer also served as Cameron's chief speech writer.

The Guardian is liberal not leftwing and those are not synonyms but only occassional fellow travellers.
Shamelessly recycling old jokes since 1952.

noggins
Sindis Poop

Post by noggins » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:56 pm

Without the Fellow Travellers Labour can’t win a GE.

Little waster
Catbabel

Post by Little waster » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:44 pm

noggins wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:56 pm
Yeah but you can't express apparent incredulity that the Guardian failed to support a left wing candidate when within recent memory they enthusiastically chose to back an openly right wing government over such hard left Labour leaders as Gordon Brown and Ed Miliband.

You may as well express incredulity that Corbyn didn't bring the Daily Mail with him either.
Shamelessly recycling old jokes since 1952.

Bird on a Fire
Stummy Beige

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:51 pm

Little waster wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:44 pm
noggins wrote:
Yeah but you can't express apparent incredulity that the Guardian failed to support a left wing candidate when within recent memory they enthusiastically chose to back an openly right wing government over such hard left Labour leaders as Gordon Brown and Ed Miliband.

You may as well express incredulity that Corbyn didn't bring the Daily Mail with him either.
Having lived abroad for yonks, the 'centre' or Overton window in the UK does seem incredibly far shifted to the right. Any genuinely leftist candidate is going to have an uphill battle trying to drag the entire establishment - from political parties to mainstream media outlets to public conversation - with it.

It's important that it happens, though, so I think people need to be patient when it doesn't work out perfectly.
Born at 356.32 ppm CO2 #ShowYourStripes

Woodchopper
After Pie

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:55 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:22 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
discovolante wrote:

Yes, you’re right.

The Mail, Telegraph, Express will always be hostile.

Woodchopper
After Pie

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:04 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:51 pm
Little waster wrote:
noggins wrote:

Having lived abroad for yonks, the 'centre' or Overton window in the UK does seem incredibly far shifted to the right. Any genuinely leftist candidate is going to have an uphill battle trying to drag the entire establishment - from political parties to mainstream media outlets to public conversation - with it.

It's important that it happens, though, so I think people need to be patient when it doesn't work out perfectly.
Here’s Eric Hobsbawm in the late 70s writing about the decline of the British labour movement (which he said started 30 years before). http://banmarchive.org.uk/collections/m ... bsbawm.pdf

I’m wondering, as of 2020 what would we add to what was at the time a prescient analysis?

EACLucifer
Snowbonk

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:50 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:51 pm
Little waster wrote:
noggins wrote:

Given this, it is important that leftwing candidates try and communicate to the public how they will benefit from leftwing policies, and try to get that across via the media wherever possible. Appointing a stalinist who praised the taliban as director of communications wasn't the way to go.

El Pollo Diablo
Dorkwood

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:50 pm

Yes, I'd like to see a lefty leader who had a chance of winning. Corbyn wasn't ever it. He looks like a morris dancer.
Mike Patton wrote:"You overdo it sometimes. There I am, peeing on Axl Rose’s teleprompter." He looks rueful: "I didn’t really have to do that."

bmforre
Fuzzable

Post by bmforre » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:03 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:50 pm
... Corbyn wasn't ever it. He looks like a morris dancer.
Are you now accusing Morris Dancers of having undermined Labor?

dyqik
After Pie

Post by dyqik » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:35 pm

bmforre wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:03 pm
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Labor, maybe, but that's Australian politics.

Martin_B
Snowbonk

Post by Martin_B » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:40 am

dyqik wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:35 pm
bmforre wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:03 pm
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Labor, maybe, but that's Australian politics.
Ah, Morris Dancers, MP for Moonee Ponds North and Minister for Ignoring Aboriginal Culture under the Whitlam government. Tosser
"Don't tell me that the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"