Next Tory Leader

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people

Who will be the next leader of the Tory party?

Michael Gove
5%
Rishi Sunak
16%
Jeremy Hunt
8%
Priti Patel
2%
Sajid Javed
2%
Jacob Rees-Mogg
3%
Cock end
64%

Total votes: 61

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Re: Next Tory Leader

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:19 am

As discussed in the Pandemic section: claims of Johnson having visited Perugia.

Whether true or not (and No10 are being very vociferous in their denials of it) it yet again eats away at Johnson's credibility.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:29 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:19 am
As discussed in the Pandemic section: claims of Johnson having visited Perugia.

Whether true or not (and No10 are being very vociferous in their denials of it) it yet again eats away at Johnson's credibility.
The report seems sketchy, I can’t see why the Guardian decided to run it.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:30 pm

Grumble wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:29 pm
The report seems sketchy,
I suppose it depends if you believe Johnson is the sort of horrible c.nt who would miss his own son's christening in order to have a pissed-up weekend with a mate.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:10 pm

It does sound like a lot of people claimed to have seen him there, and he's pretty distinctive looking (and there would presumably be extra security protocols at an airport receiving a PM?). Are there many independent observations of him in England?
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:54 pm

As I said, if true... looks like it's not. The Italians have admitted it's not him and he was at his child's christening in London.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:38 am

Little waster wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:30 pm
Grumble wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:29 pm
The report seems sketchy,
I suppose it depends if you believe Johnson is the sort of horrible c.nt who would miss his own son's christening in order to have a pissed-up weekend with a mate.
Belief doesn’t really come into it, is there any actual evidence?

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:45 am

It was Blair - "But all you Anglos look the same..." - and I think the whole farrago is more a comment on the total lack of credence much of the UK now puts in anything Downing Street or Johnson himself say or write, as he has lied, dissembled, bullshitted, lied and lied some more, then denied that he did so for at least as long as I've been aware of the lying liar, and been sacked for it at least once.

Can't see that he has anyone to blame but himself for this state of affairs...
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:09 am

murmur wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:45 am
It was Blair - "But all you Anglos look the same..." - and I think the whole farrago is more a comment on the total lack of credence much of the UK now puts in anything Downing Street or Johnson himself say or write, as he has lied, dissembled, bullshitted, lied and lied some more, then denied that he did so for at least as long as I've been aware of the lying liar, and been sacked for it at least once.

Can't see that he has anyone to blame but himself for this state of affairs...
That was very much my thought when I originally posted it - he's lost so much trust with his normal bluster and avoidance that gives way to outright lying that it almost doesn't matter whether it's true or not, people will now default to believing the worst of him (akin to Trump and the denigrating comments regarding the military).

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:56 am

I'm quite surprised that multiple people apparently confused Blair and Johnson. I wonder if there was some error of communication involved.

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:30 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:56 am
I'm quite surprised that multiple people apparently confused Blair and Johnson. I wonder if there was some error of communication involved.
Mayor of Perugia (or whoever it was) gets wrong name for foreign leader? It's about as big a deal as a local council leader in England forgetting the name of the current Italian PM and saying Berlusconi instead.

I agree with the comments that it actually says more about the lack of trust people have in anything Johnson says.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:49 am

AMS wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:30 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mayor of Perugia (or whoever it was) gets wrong name for foreign leader? It's about as big a deal as a local council leader in England forgetting the name of the current Italian PM and saying Berlusconi instead.
The report I read cited multiple (unnamed) airport sources.

It's the opposite of your example, though - it's like seeing Silvio Berlusconi at an airport and thinking he's the current PM of Italy. I can't vouch for Italian news, but Johnson's unwelcome visage frequently pops up on Portuguese TV so he's not totally obscure on the continent, plus you'd expect staff at a smallish airport would be aware of the kind of enhanced security measures that would take place were a current world leader to turn up.

I mean, apparently not, but it seems like either the Italian journalist(s) who broke the story didn't do any checking ("Boris Johnson? The current PM of the UK? *shows picture* This guy?") or they managed to find some particularly daft people who work there.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:56 am

AMS wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:30 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Or not caring to check that it was the "president" of the airport who said it, not the mayor.

The airport, or rather the person in charge of it, was showing off about how many famous people had been through recently. The text refers to both Johnson and Blair. Maybe someone said "the British prime minister has been here... well, the ex-prime minister Tony Blair anyway" and someone else interpreted that to mean "the (current) British prime minister has been here, (as well as) the ex-prime minister Tony Blair".
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:56 pm

That's where it got muddled - as Johnson previous did a quiet little flit* through there on the way to a heavy weekend at his Russian lord-mate's villa the other year.

*that one appears to have been a quiet slip out of the country.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:12 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:56 pm
That's where it got muddled - as Johnson previous did a quiet little flit* through there on the way to a heavy weekend at his Russian lord-mate's villa the other year.

*that one appears to have been a quiet slip out of the country.
But while Johnson (probably) hasn't been here recently, Carrie Symonds has recently been to stay at the Grand Hotel Tremezzo with Wilfred and three friends (just up the lake from me).

I'm linking to an Italian report of that, to avoid having to link to, or indeed read, the Daily Mail or Daily Express. But that's why the Italian reports give the prices of the Italian hotel in terms of £ not €: they're basically just translating what the English press wrote. (They say £600 per night.)
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:32 pm

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:11 pm

Grumble wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:32 pm
We have our stalking horse
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other
ahe didn't exactly "throw" his hat into the ring as much as tentatively poke it into the ring.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:21 pm

Mind you, he probably won't be risking deselection for "treachery," unlike Meyer.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:49 am

Stolen from Twitter

BREAKING: Chris Grayling thrown his ring into the hat.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Trinucleus
Dorkwood

Post by Trinucleus » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:02 am

Gfamily wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:49 am
Stolen from Twitter

He's more competent than the current incumbent

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:31 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:49 am
Stolen from Twitter

Very good

temptar
Fuzzable

Post by temptar » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:22 pm

Grumble wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:32 pm
We have our stalking horse
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other
Tbh He would be the best candidate which given the UK's record suggests he has not a hope.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:14 pm

Guto Harri asked PM 'Will you survive, Boris?' when appointed comms chief

Boris Johnson's new director of communications has revealed the the PM kneeled and sang the song I Will Survive when he appointed the Welsh journalist to the role.

Guto Harri has told website view360 that when he walked into Mr Johnson's office in Number 10 he did a salute and said: "Prime Minister, Guto Harri reporting for duty."

Mr Harri said the PM responded by starting to salute but then kneeled instead, saying "What am I doing, I should take the knee for you."

This was in reference to Mr Harri taking the knee to support Black Lives Matter when he was on GB News.

Mr Harri told the website he laughed before asking: "Are you going to survive, Boris?"

He said Mr Johnson then started to sing Gloria Gaynor's famous song.

"I inevitably invited him to say 'You've got all your life to live' and he replied, 'I've got all my love to give', so we had a little blast from Gloria Gaynor!"

https://news.sky.com/story/live-news-ri ... p-12514080

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:00 pm

I picture a bunch of aides standing round a whiteboard, which has “How to make people sympathise with Boris” written on it.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:12 pm

"Banter! That's what the people want, mate. The bantz! Boris, what an absolute legend."
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:26 pm

lpm wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:12 pm
"Banter! That's what the people want, mate. The bantz! Boris, what an absolute legend."
And it might have worked a few months ago.

One problem for Johnson is that the partygate stories (and this) dovetail neatly into the image he's crafted from university, and a lot of his former supporters have stopped giving him the benefit of the doubt.