Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
bolo
Dorkwood

Re: US police & murders of black men

Post by bolo » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:48 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:17 pm
Hope you're ok bolo
Thanks. I'm fine. I live far enough out in the suburbs that I'm not affected. Lots of friends and colleagues in DC proper though, some of them with young children, which would be scary.

plebian

Post by plebian » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:41 am

secret squirrel wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:08 am
Martin_B wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 5:46 am
Herainestold wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:30 am
Canada flies under the radar because everyone looks at the US. In reality it is colonialist, patriarchal and white supremacist.

Study Proves Canada Is Actually More Racist Than The United States

https://www.mtlblog.com/news/canada/stu ... ted-states
And MTL blog has never had issues with reporting factually incorrect information, or accepting money for reporting content, eh?
The article links to the paper they're talking about though, so you can just read that if you have doubts about the article itself.
The article links to a media statement about racism is public health. It doesn't reference a study or mention comparisons to other countries.
I had a quick search but couldn't find the study on the site.

secret squirrel
Snowbonk

Post by secret squirrel » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:50 am

plebian wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:41 am
secret squirrel wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:08 am
The article links to the paper they're talking about though, so you can just read that if you have doubts about the article itself.
The article links to a media statement about racism is public health. It doesn't reference a study or mention comparisons to other countries.
I had a quick search but couldn't find the study on the site.
It's linked right at the end of the article. For convenience, here it is.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:24 am

Trump and Johnson now have something else in common - they've both upset the bishops. But of course, Trump has gone bigger with his efforts.

Gentleman Jim
Catbabel

Post by Gentleman Jim » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:31 am

bolo wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:48 pm
FlammableFlower wrote:
Hope you're ok bolo
Thanks. I'm fine. I live far enough out in the suburbs that I'm not affected. Lots of friends and colleagues in DC proper though, some of them with young children, which would be scary.
VA or MD?
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:49 pm

The number of attacks by police on journalists is incredible.

BBC cameraman charged at by cops in riot gear. Cops from the USA and Germany shot with pepper spray, rubber bullets and other projectiles, and threatened with arrests. In most cases they seem to have been clearly identified as press, and in most cases it's on camera.

Quoted in that article,
US Press Freedom Tracker wrote:To put some perspective on the unprecedented nature of the weekend's attacks on journalists:

At @USPressTracker, we've documented 100-150 press freedom violations in the US per year, for the last 3 years.

We are currently investigating *over 100* FROM JUST THE LAST 3 DAYS.
Meanwhile, the President has this to say: "The Lamestream Media is doing everything within their power to foment hatred and anarchy." Journalists are "truly bad people with a sick agenda".

Is this it, folks? Is this how the US finalises its transition into full-blown fascism? It's not like we didn't see it coming.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:50 pm

Meanwhile Joe Biden, ever the responsible moderate, has found the perfect fence-sitting solution that nobody could disagree with: when confronting an armed person, police should shoot them in the leg rather than the heart.

Truly a message I'm sure the whole country will unite behind.

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:54 pm

Gentleman Jim wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:31 am
bolo wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:48 pm
FlammableFlower wrote:
Hope you're ok bolo
VA or MD?
VA

ETA: There have been protests in some of the suburbs as well,.but smaller and less chaotic, and since I'm still in stay at home mode, I'm not hearing anything except on the news.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:03 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:49 pm
The number of attacks by police on journalists is incredible.

BBC cameraman charged at by cops in riot gear. Cops from the USA and Germany shot with pepper spray, rubber bullets and other projectiles, and threatened with arrests. In most cases they seem to have been clearly identified as press, and in most cases it's on camera.

Quoted in that article,
US Press Freedom Tracker wrote:To put some perspective on the unprecedented nature of the weekend's attacks on journalists:

At @USPressTracker, we've documented 100-150 press freedom violations in the US per year, for the last 3 years.

We are currently investigating *over 100* FROM JUST THE LAST 3 DAYS.
Meanwhile, the President has this to say: "The Lamestream Media is doing everything within their power to foment hatred and anarchy." Journalists are "truly bad people with a sick agenda".

Is this it, folks? Is this how the US finalises its transition into full-blown fascism? It's not like we didn't see it coming.
I still think stochastic terrorism is the explanation. No commander giving directions, but a lot of individual lone wolves in the police forces hearing the same message. It's inevitable some will respond with action and attack fake news journalists.

When you've spent 3.5 years in a white supremacist bubble you'll believe in enemies of the people and you use your police powers to fight back. Derek Chauvin is a stochastic terrorist. He's killed before, believes in MAGA and wanted to take the opportunity to trigger the race war his leader has asked for. He will have performed a number of terrorist acts against black suspects in the past until this final one where he succeeded in getting global publicity.

The police are rioting because they want to, rather than because they've been ordered to or because they think it will help. It's statistically probable a MAGA terrorist will murder CNN journalists in a "random" attack because this is what has been scripted across many, many episodes of the Trump tweet and rally show.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Trinucleus
Dorkwood

Post by Trinucleus » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:42 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:52 pm
They're already shooting at people standing peacefully on their own property, tear gassing and macing crowds, etc. The only conceivable way to escalate that violence is through increased use of live rounds.

There's only a few months till the election, so if some fascists did want to complete their takeover of the US this would be the perfect time to start militarizing major cities, implementing curfews, restricting free assembly and so on.

(I know some people were claiming the same about coronavirus, but the obvious difference is that only the USA is starting to send soldiers into the streets. I reckon it's unlikely anyway, though - much cheaper to just control the media, gerrymander, supply dodgy voting machines, suppress turnout and lose ballots)
Anyone watch the US House of Cards where a very devious unpopular president engineers an increased terror threat so there are troops on the streets when people are voting?

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:08 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:42 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
They're already shooting at people standing peacefully on their own property, tear gassing and macing crowds, etc. The only conceivable way to escalate that violence is through increased use of live rounds.

There's only a few months till the election, so if some fascists did want to complete their takeover of the US this would be the perfect time to start militarizing major cities, implementing curfews, restricting free assembly and so on.

(I know some people were claiming the same about coronavirus, but the obvious difference is that only the USA is starting to send soldiers into the streets. I reckon it's unlikely anyway, though - much cheaper to just control the media, gerrymander, supply dodgy voting machines, suppress turnout and lose ballots)
Anyone watch the US House of Cards where a very devious unpopular president engineers an increased terror threat so there are troops on the streets when people are voting?
DC and 9 states are voting in primaries today.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:54 pm

shpalman wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:47 pm
FlammableFlower wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:22 pm
Washington Post wrote:During a conference call Monday, Trump berated the state leaders, calling them “weak,” and urged them to “dominate” protesters, according to officials familiar with the president’s remarks. The conference call followed another turbulent night across the nation, as protests that began peacefully exploded into mayhem.
This will go well...
Did he make that call from his bunker where he was cowering like a pathetic f.cking little coward?
101523056_3063530370407553_6885651380938211328_o.jpg
101523056_3063530370407553_6885651380938211328_o.jpg (54.84 KiB) Viewed 3472 times
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:57 pm

Didn't take it far enough, IMHO.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:06 pm

He bravely strode to the church to wave a bible about (I hope it burnt him to hold it) having got the police to tear-gas the clergy out of the way first.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:07 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
I used to think that the Americans who bought themselves an arsenal to protect themselves from their own government were crazy... now I'm not so sure!
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:15 pm

TopBadger wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:07 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
I used to think that the Americans who bought themselves an arsenal to protect themselves from their own government were crazy... now I'm not so sure!
What's 'interesting' is that the people getting beaten and shot at are all unarmed.

Faced with incontrovertible evidence of actual tyranny on US soil, the gun nuts are nowhere to be seen. Colour me unsurprised.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:34 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:15 pm
TopBadger wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:07 pm
What's 'interesting' is that the people getting beaten and shot at are all unarmed.
Like I said a while back; 1st amendment bad, 2nd amendment good.

If you want to protest your rights, marching on the town hall with the deadliest weapons you can legally obtain is clearly not in any way objectionable. Not compared to standing holding a placard. I guess there's a reason they call them "rights" and not "lefts".

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:45 pm

Very long BuzzFeed list of apparent hoaxes: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ja ... d-protests

secret squirrel
Snowbonk

Post by secret squirrel » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:55 am

Imagine if Chinese government officials were meeting with protest organizers with whom they had built up relationships for several years.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:05 am

f.cking hell, Pat Robertson parts ways with Trump. I don’t know how influential Pat actually is, but I get the impression he’s one of the top televangelists.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

Gentleman Jim
Catbabel

Post by Gentleman Jim » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:47 am

bolo wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:54 pm
VA

ETA: There have been protests in some of the suburbs as well,.but smaller and less chaotic, and since I'm still in stay at home mode, I'm not hearing anything except on the news.
What has amazed my wife is that her home city of Baltimore has been so peaceful - well, in regards to this anyway :lol:
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:03 pm

A majority of USians support the burning down of a police station. The cops have really lost public support, it seems.
"Do you think the anger that led to these protests are justified?"
Justified 78%
Not Justified 18%

"Given the events around George Floyd, including the burning on a police precinct is..."
Justified 54%
Not Justified 38%

National @MonmouthPoll
https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/sta ... 67011?s=19

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:32 am

Sanders making a good case for things that can be done to solve this at the federal level.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:08 pm

! Message from The Management
Forgive me whilst I get my big f.cking mod cock on but a bunch of white people discussing how stupid black people are on a thread about police murdering a black man is very definitely against the rules*. The topic itself is worthy of discussion, but not here. It'll get moved at some point soon. I've been off my tits on work recently, hence not being around but I fancy me some nice procrastination so maybe I'll do it. Or maybe I'll eat some crisps. I atent sure.

Oooh hey this thing is bright. It has an exclamation mark and everything.

*If you're not sure which, it's the one called the "All Lives Matter" rule.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:31 pm

There we go. Discussion of the ins and outs and ups and downs of protesting when there's a pandemic on is here. Have at it. Feel free to flag up if I've missed any posts that should move.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued