Minneapolis to dismantle Police Department.

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
bmforre
Snowbonk

Minneapolis to dismantle Police Department.

Post by bmforre » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:40 am

Reported by NYTimes
Nine members — a veto-proof majority — of the Minneapolis City Council pledged on Sunday to dismantle the city’s Police Department, promising to create a new system of public safety in a city where law enforcement has long been accused of racism.

Saying that the city’s current policing system could not be reformed, the council members stood before hundreds of people who gathered late in the day on a grassy hill, and signed a pledge to begin the process of taking apart the Police Department as it now exists.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Re: Minneapolis to dismantle Police Department.

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:42 am

Fantastic news!

Only 17,984 left to go.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

secret squirrel
Snowbonk

Post by secret squirrel » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:36 am

Exciting times. I wonder how they'll manage the transition. Long term I would expect less hostile and more community driven policing, combined with economic development, to massively reduce crime. But short term, a lot of poor areas do have serious problems with violence (and not just the violence caused directly by the police). On the other hand, it's not clear to what extent the police as they currently exist help with violence inside these communities anyway. As far as I can see, the unspoken policy has just been to stop the crime spilling over into more affluent areas. I would argue that, morally, richer people should put up with an uptick in crime that affects them in the short term for a longer term benefit to everyone, but I suspect that even small (or possibly entirely imagined) increases like this would get played up by parts of the media and turned into a real vote loser. I'm also interested in how this will square with the national drug policy, which seems to require a militarized, essentially terrorist police force in some places. I mean, a sane drug policy would go a long way towards solving these problems in itself, but is this on the cards?

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:05 am

secret squirrel wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:36 am
Exciting times. I wonder how they'll manage the transition. Long term I would expect less hostile and more community driven policing, combined with economic development, to massively reduce crime. But short term, a lot of poor areas do have serious problems with violence (and not just the violence caused directly by the police). On the other hand, it's not clear to what extent the police as they currently exist help with violence inside these communities anyway. As far as I can see, the unspoken policy has just been to stop the crime spilling over into more affluent areas. I would argue that, morally, richer people should put up with an uptick in crime that affects them in the short term for a longer term benefit to everyone, but I suspect that even small (or possibly entirely imagined) increases like this would get played up by parts of the media and turned into a real vote loser. I'm also interested in how this will square with the national drug policy, which seems to require a militarized, essentially terrorist police force in some places. I mean, a sane drug policy would go a long way towards solving these problems in itself, but is this on the cards?
My thought this morning was that for a long time in an awful lot of areas the police act to contain crime and avoid it affecting those who are more privileged. They are solely reactive. Crime prevention is purely through fear of the sentence/punishment that might be applied if caught.

Bewildered
Fuzzable

Post by Bewildered » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:45 am

To be honest I don’t really understand what in practice ‘dismantle’ means? That all senior ranks will be removed and replaced? That the structural hierarchy will change? That all individual police officers will be retrained?

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:53 am

Bewildered wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:45 am
To be honest I don’t really understand what in practice ‘dismantle’ means? That all senior ranks will be removed and replaced? That the structural hierarchy will change? That all individual police officers will be retrained?
I don't think it has been decided yet and that's where the test will be. There is an emphasis on community based solutions and funding social services in areas where the police are currently involved, which suggests removal of the role of police from some areas completely, which is what a lot of people have been pushing for. Not just a reshuffling of staff and hierarchy.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:01 am

discovolante wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:53 am
Bewildered wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:45 am
I don't think it has been decided yet and that's where the test will be. There is an emphasis on community based solutions and funding social services in areas where the police are currently involved, which suggests removal of the role of police from some areas completely, which is what a lot of people have been pushing for. Not just a reshuffling of staff and hierarchy.
That's the impression I got; that they don't intend to shut down the police department but rather to gradually transfer responsibilities away from the PD's remit to whatever new bodies they come up with.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:34 pm

It has been done before successfully in several places, usually with Federal DoJ prompting (not under the current regime, obviously), so there are examples to go on.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:03 pm

dyqik wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:34 pm
It has been done before successfully in several places, usually with Federal DoJ prompting (not under the current regime, obviously), so there are examples to go on.
That's interesting. Any examples you can point us at?

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:18 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:03 pm
dyqik wrote:
See https://www.newsweek.com/minneapolis-no ... nt-1509327 - Camden, New Jersey is one example.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:38 pm

dyqik wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:18 pm
Martin Y wrote:
dyqik wrote:
See https://www.newsweek.com/minneapolis-no ... nt-1509327 - Camden, New Jersey is one example.
Ta.

Gentleman Jim
Catbabel

Post by Gentleman Jim » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:41 pm

https://consentdecree.baltimorecity.gov/
On April 7, 2017, the City of Baltimore and the Department of Justice (DOJ) entered into a Consent Decree, which is a court enforceable agreement to resolve DOJ's findings that it believed the Baltimore City Police Department (BPD) had engaged in a pattern and practice of conduct that violates the First, Fourth, and Fourteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution, and certain provisions of federal statutory law.

Mayor Bernard C. "Jack" Young and the City of Baltimore will work together to reform the Baltimore Police Department and build the bond of trust that must exist between the community and the City's police officers. The goal of the consent decree is to have a stronger police department that fights crime while it serves and protects the civil and constitutional rights of Baltimore City residents.

The decree’s requirements focus on building community trust, creating a culture of community and problem-oriented policing, prohibiting unlawful stops and arrests, preventing discriminatory policing and excessive force, ensuring public and officer safety, enhancing officer accountability and making needed technological upgrades. Under the agreement, the parties will jointly recommend an independent monitor to the court to assess whether the requirements of the agreement are being implemented. The independent monitor will report publicly on BPD’s implementation efforts on a regular basis. As part of the process, the parties requested that the court provide an opportunity for members of the public and stakeholders throughout Baltimore to provide written submissions to the court about the proposed decree. The public hearing on the fairness of the proposed consent decree was held on April 6, 2017, wherein dozens of members of the community provided feedback and support for the consent decree. The Court then entered the Consent Decree the next day, on April 7, 2017.

eta The protests in Baltimore have been pretty peaceful, esp considering the death in police custody of Freddie Gray
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:30 am

dyqik wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:18 pm
Martin Y wrote:
dyqik wrote:
Interestingly, it actually increased the amount of police present, while also reducing the amount they were paid.

However, it also implemented much better use of force policies and an emphasis on building trust with the community. Police brutality and crime are both down.

While there has been a lot of focus - rightly - on deaths caused by police brutality, another consequence of racist and militarised police is that they fail to control crime, with a disproportionate effect on the very same communities that suffer most from brutality. Racist police are often uninterested in properly investigating crimes against those they do not care about - Black people, sex workers, homeless people etc - and even if they are, witnesses are too scared of them to come forward, and too scared that naming the wrong person might lead to them getting killed.