Light of Blast

Re: Edward Colston statue pulled down

Post by Tessa K » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:02 am

Thanks for that very cheering update

kerrya1
Clardic Fug

Post by kerrya1 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:10 am

Seeing the outcomes of this Bristol research is giving me some hope that the Edinburgh one will turn out well. https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/edinburghs ... olonialism

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:00 pm

More than 18 months after the commission published its findings, it has been confirmed that the Colston statue will remain in the M Shed museum as part of an permanent exhibit in the People gallery.

The council somewhat bizarrely has to apply for planning permission to do this,
The statue, which was pulled down and pushed into the Floating Harbour back in June 2020, is a listed monument, so formal planning consent is required to ‘regularise’ the fact that it’s no longer on its plinth and won’t be returned there.
The new exhibition will open in March 2024. In the meantime, an application for listed building consent will go to councillors in the New Year. “To help make this a reality, an application to regularise the legal position of the listed asset, away from its plinth, has recently been submitted which will go to a planning committee early in the new year,” explained Mr Rees. “It was submitted following discussions with Historic England, the government advisory body responsible for designating listed buildings, as part of the pre-application process.”
I will visit at some point after it's opened and report back.
it's okay to say "I don't know"