Edward Colston statue pulled down

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Little waster
Dorkwood

Re: Edward Colston statue pulled down

Post by Little waster » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:18 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:04 pm
Campaigners try to block Edward Colston display at Bristol museum. These 'campaigners' are apparently booking up all the tickets so no-one else can go, and then not turning up. It's all a bit silly, as M Shed are now saying they'll accept walk-ups. I was a bit worried about a Streisand Effect and other people mass-booking but that doesn't seem to have happened yet. I've booked a ticket for next weekend.
Something something something Cancel Culture.

There's a sliver of a defensible argument regarding not wanting to take down a historic monument erected to an individual who in hindsight shouldn't have never been commemorated but to go from that to actively supporting the erection of such a monument, even with the benefit of that hindsight, takes a true c.nt.
It's meta, so it is allowed.

Tessa K
After Pie

Post by Tessa K » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:04 am

Good comment on the presentation of the statue on its back in the museum

https://twitter.com/KojoKoram/status/14 ... 5323070470

Tessa K
After Pie

Post by Tessa K » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:15 pm

I haven't watched it yet but there's this BBC programme on iPlayer about the year since the statue came down.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... in-bristol

Fishnut
Dorkwood

Post by Fishnut » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:52 am

I'm going to see the consultative display in about an hour's time. If anyone has any questions or things they want to know about the display ask now and I'll do my best to get answers for you.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Fishnut
Dorkwood

Post by Fishnut » Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:21 am

The consultative display has been visited, and a blogpost has been written. The use of the passive voice in the display was noted and the implications of this is discussed.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Tessa K
After Pie

Post by Tessa K » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:52 am

Fishnut wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:21 am
The consultative display has been visited, and a blogpost has been written. The use of the passive voice in the display was noted and the implications of this is discussed.
Good piece, Fishnut. It's like having Our Own Correspondent like they do on the news.

I watched the doc last night (link in my previous post). It follows Bristol's mayor and his office for the year since the statue was taken down, looking at all the complexities of the event. He's the first black mayor in the country so he has additional pressures and has had serious threats made against him and his family. It also interviews various Bristolians both pro and anti removing the statue and brings up the class issues as well as race ones. All in all, it attempts to be balanced and does a pretty good job although of course more could be said.