Fishnut wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:52 pm
kerrya1 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:22 am
jimbob wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:08 pm
A descendant of Robert E Lee on why Confederate statues should come down

https://www.npr.org/2017/08/20/54481783 ... 1995786740

Most of it is specifically American, but there are similarities.
I'm curious about all these confederate statues - is it common in other countries to put up lots of statues to the people that ultimately lost a war? Are these all located in the "South" or are they all over the US?

We have a few in Scotland (William Wallace, Robert the Bruce, etc) but not that many and mostly of people from much earlier in our history.
I found this video to be quite enlightening. The TL:DW is that the Daughters of the Confederacy was an organisation founded by women descendent from prominent anti-bellum ante-bellum families who wanted to preserve the 'good' legacy of the Confederacy. They raised money to put up statues of various 'heroes' and, more importantly, campaigned to get text books to record the 'truth' about the confederacy (basically putting a positive spin on everything). This meant that kids from the 1890s to the late 70s ( :o ) were raised on the idea that the Confederacy was good. They also had a kids version that taught a Confederate Catechism, indoctrinating generations.

ET change anti- to ante-
Yes, see also the bust of KKK founder and Confederate war criminal Nathan Bedford Forrest that was put up in the Tennessee State Capitol in the 1970s.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

monkey
Buzzberry

Re: Coming to Terms With Britain's Past

Post by monkey » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:25 pm

kerrya1 wrote:
jimbob wrote:

I'm curious about all these confederate statues - is it common in other countries to put up lots of statues to the people that ultimately lost a war? Are these all located in the "South" or are they all over the US?

We have a few in Scotland (William Wallace, Robert the Bruce, etc) but not that many and mostly of people from much earlier in our history.
They can be found in most States. This 2019 report from the SPLC has numbers, a timeline when they were put up and a map of of where. Think something else might be better for detail of the background though, but it'll answer some of your questions.

clicky

I think the report is only looking at public memorials/celebrations, there are more on private land too.

kerrya1
Bank Butt

Post by kerrya1 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:22 pm

monkey wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:25 pm
kerrya1 wrote:
jimbob wrote:

They can be found in most States. This 2019 report from the SPLC has numbers, a timeline when they were put up and a map of of where. Think something else might be better for detail of the background though, but it'll answer some of your questions.

clicky

I think the report is only looking at public memorials/celebrations, there are more on private land too.
Thanks Fishnut & Monkey, I have some watching and reading to do. :D

bmforre
Fuzzable

Post by bmforre » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:16 am

jimbob wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:54 pm
... KKK founder and Confederate war criminal Nathan Bedford Forrest ...
Wikipedia states:
Forrest joined the Ku Klux Klan in 1867 (two years after its founding) and was elected its first Grand Wizard...

In 1869, Forrest expressed disillusionment with the lack of discipline among the various white supremacist groups across the South, and issued a letter ordering the dissolution of the Ku Klux Klan and the destruction of its costumes; he then withdrew from the organization...
His declaration had little effect, however, and few Klansmen destroyed their robes and hoods.
He certainly did not found it. After the KKK had got going others picked him as suitable figurehead with star appeal.
When he quicly lost belief and ordered the terrorist roadshow disbanded they just went aggressively on.