Extended freedom to hunt

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
bmforre
Snowbonk

Extended freedom to hunt

Post by bmforre » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:39 am

Adminitration revives banned hunting ways
Baiting grizzly bears with doughnuts soaked in bacon grease. Using spotlights to blind and shoot hibernating black bear mothers and their cubs in their dens. Gunning down swimming caribou from motorboats.

Hunting methods that for years were decried by wildlife protectors and finally banned as barbaric by the Obama administration will be legal again on millions of acres of Alaskan wilderness in time for the warm July weather.
Big-game hunters will be legally able to take trophies more efficiently:
The National Park Service policy published the new rules in the Federal Register on Tuesday, reversing Obama administration rules and giving trophy hunters, outfitters and Alaskans 30 days to prepare to return to national preserves in Alaska with the revived practices. Among the reinstated tactics: killing wolves and coyotes, including pups, during the season when mothers wean their young, and using dogs to hunt bears.

Expanding hunting rights on federal lands has been a priority under the Trump administration, and an issue championed by the president’s son, Donald Trump Jr., an avid hunter. In February the Safari Club International, which promotes big-game hunting, auctioned a weeklong “dream hunt” through Alaska with the president’s son as part of its annual convention.
I have to think of Theodore Roosevelt and the famous little bear he refused to shoot.

dyqik
Princess POW

Re: Extended freedom to hunt

Post by dyqik » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:46 am

The pictures of Trump Jr with big game in Africa, are, of course, incidental.

kerrya1
Clardic Fug

Post by kerrya1 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:08 am

I don't really understand why "hunters" would want to do this - surely the challenge of hunting is to find, track, and kill your prey to prove your skill in hunting. All of these activities seem to totally eliminate the skill element.

Are they actually intended as "pest control" but then exploited by, mostly, men with big guns and bigger egos who consider the photo op and trophy more important than the actual hunt?

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:34 am

bmforre wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:39 am

Expanding hunting rights on federal lands has been a priority under the Trump administration,
Priorities, priorities.

Cases of COVID-19 in US: 2 million.
COVID-19 deaths: 115,000
Projected percentage slump in US GDP in 2020: 6.5%
Unemployment rate: 13.3%
Percentage of Americans "sick of all this winning" yet: 56%
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:57 am

kerrya1 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:08 am
I don't really understand why "hunters" would want to do this
A cheap thrill for micro-penised micro-brained psychopaths.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:13 pm

tom p wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:57 am
kerrya1 wrote:
I don't really understand why "hunters" would want to do this
A cheap thrill for micro-penised micro-brained psychopaths.
Dominionism.
Time for a big fat one.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:02 pm

kerrya1 wrote:
I don't really understand why "hunters" would want to do this - surely the challenge of hunting is to find, track, and kill your prey to prove your skill in hunting. All of these activities seem to totally eliminate the skill element.

Are they actually intended as "pest control" but then exploited by, mostly, men with big guns and bigger egos who consider the photo op and trophy more important than the actual hunt?
It's also for the lazy, more risk averse ones. "Hey look I can kill this mighty beast (and I didn't have to inconvenience myself or put myself in any harm in away way whatsoever)."

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:04 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:02 pm
kerrya1 wrote:

It's also for the lazy, more risk averse ones. "Hey look I can kill this mighty beast (and I didn't have to inconvenience myself or put myself in any harm in away way whatsoever)."
Its known as canned hunting. People pay lots of money to shoot hand reared lions that lived their life in captivity. They are so used to humans there isn't any skill involved.

Its all for the photo op and the opportunity to boast about the origin of the lion skin rug.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:24 pm

Yeah, it's just killing animals for fun, like the meat industry.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:17 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:24 pm
Yeah, it's just killing animals for fun, like the meat industry.
Not quite the same. The point of trophy hunting is just to kill, the meat industry provides food which necessitates killing but the killing isn't the point.

<I've been a veggie since 1991>