Re: US Election

Post by FlammableFlower » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:23 pm

jimbob wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:14 am
FlammableFlower wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:16 am
jimbob wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:03 am

But it was only tongue in cheek... An interesting claim when onr performs the said criminal act that one allegedly recommended as a joke.
Only tongue in cheek, eh? Including him going through with it, to the point that currently they're awaiting a driving licence check?
I was just quoting their defence (defense?) of their actions in the facebook video that's now been deleted.

Mind you, I suppose there's not really any good defence of "I wanted to try to steal an election"
Sorry, I was being rhetorical and failing...

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:27 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:16 am
jimbob wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:03 am
EACLucifer wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:54 am
FOUND SOME ATTEMPTED VOTING FRAUD!!!

Uhm...it's the Republicans again.

Florida Republican lawyer encourages people to falsely register to vote in Georgia and appears to have done so himself.
But it was only tongue in cheek... An interesting claim when onr performs the said criminal act that one allegedly recommended as a joke.
Only tongue in cheek, eh? Including him going through with it, to the point that currently they're awaiting a driving licence check?
"These killings are obviously ironic". (Remember Chris Morris playing gangster rapper "Fur-Q" in blackface, when that was okay? Jumpers for goalposts, motherf.ckers.)

Rich Scopie
Snowbonk

Post by Rich Scopie » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:31 am

JQH wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:46 am
Rich Scopie wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:12 am

And - in what reality is Joe Biden the Vice President?

AIUI, because he once served as Vice-President, he retains the title.
Is that right? Well, every day's a school day. :-)
It first was a rumour dismissed as a lie, but then came the evidence none could deny:
a double page spread in the Sunday Express — the Russians are running the DHSS!

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:05 am

Rich Scopie wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:31 am
JQH wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:46 am
Rich Scopie wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:12 am

And - in what reality is Joe Biden the Vice President?

AIUI, because he once served as Vice-President, he retains the title.
Is that right? Well, every day's a school day. :-)
His full title on Jan 20th will be Vice President President Biden. Or President Vice President Biden. I don't think they've decided yet.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:39 am

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:05 am
His full title on Jan 20th will be Vice President President Biden. Or President Vice President Biden. I don't think they've decided yet.
Why would you do that? Once he gets sworn in on Jan 20th he will be president, and you can call him President Biden. Until then, Vice President is the highest office he's held, so he is President-elect, Vice President Biden. You call him by the highest office he's held until he holds a higher office.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:43 am

Martin_B wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:39 am
Vertigowooyay wrote:
Why would you do that? Once he gets sworn in on Jan 20th he will be president, and you can call him President Biden. Until then, Vice President is the highest office he's held, so he is President-elect, Vice President Biden. You call him by the highest office he's held until he holds a higher office.
Yes, it would be ridiculous to refer to someone with all the titles they had ever received.

[This includes German academics who insist on being referred to as Dr. Dr. Professor].

warumich
Fuzzable

Post by warumich » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:28 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:43 am
Martin_B wrote:
Vertigowooyay wrote:
Yes, it would be ridiculous to refer to someone with all the titles they had ever received.

[This includes German academics who insist on being referred to as Dr. Dr. Professor].

My cousin has two doctorates, but being the modest chap he is, he only styles himself as Prof. Dr.

In case that comes across as sarcastic, it's not really - he's a lovely chap, and in the context of German academia that really is quite modest. Of course, my students know me as "hey, you!".
I've never had a signature, and it never did me any harm

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:31 am

Martin_B wrote:
Vertigowooyay wrote:
I’m sorry. I’d forgotten that 2020 had robbed us of being able to be silly.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

Chris Preston
Snowbonk

Post by Chris Preston » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:33 am

Just when you think there are no new story lines, Rudy Giuliani brings his freak show to Lansing.

It is hard to pick the highlight of the show, the witness who's evidence of fraud was the vote counting room was too hot, the all Chinese look alike witness or Rudy's very audible fart. The internet consensus was Melissa Carone. She is worth watching on YouTube.
Here grows much rhubarb.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:30 pm

warumich wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:28 am
Woodchopper wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:43 am
Martin_B wrote:

My cousin has two doctorates, but being the modest chap he is, he only styles himself as Prof. Dr.

In case that comes across as sarcastic, it's not really - he's a lovely chap, and in the context of German academia that really is quite modest. Of course, my students know me as "hey, you!".
They do this in Portugal as well. In formal settings I have to refer my supervisor as Mr* Doctor Professor Sobrenome, whereas in the office I just call him João.

*Senhor is a bit more of an honourific than Mr, but I can't think how else to translate it.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:19 pm

Have we had the one in Wisconsin yet, where they named a guy as one of the plaintiffs without actually getting his permission to do so?

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:55 pm

AMS wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:19 pm
Have we had the one in Wisconsin yet, where they named a guy as one of the plaintiffs without actually getting his permission to do so?
Was it this one: clicky?

Didn't even get to the bit where they say "that evidence isn't evidence" 'cos they applied to the wrong court.

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:16 pm

Chris Preston wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:33 am
Just when you think there are no new story lines, Rudy Giuliani brings his freak show to Lansing.

It is hard to pick the highlight of the show, the witness who's evidence of fraud was the vote counting room was too hot, the all Chinese look alike witness or Rudy's very audible fart. The internet consensus was Melissa Carone. She is worth watching on YouTube.
Wow! That's...
Does anyone remember bratty pop duo Daphne & Celeste?
And does anyone remember them on NMTB?
Well one of em grew up and became Melissa Carone.
What we need now is a Scrutable Screwball Comedy Thread.

ETA to add an 'm': breadcrumbs in the keyboard again!
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:25 pm

tenchboy wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:16 pm
Chris Preston wrote:

Wow! That's...
As a parent of a child who wanted to see B*Witched back in ~2000, I was at a concert where supporting act D&C came on stage with a great shout of of "Good evening Birmingham!" Spoiled only by it being Manchester that evening.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:05 pm

monkey wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:55 pm
AMS wrote:

Didn't even get to the bit where they say "that evidence isn't evidence" 'cos they applied to the wrong court.
Not sure if it's the same suit, but here for example:
https://eu.jsonline.com/story/news/poli ... 786051001/

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:15 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:25 pm
tenchboy wrote:
Chris Preston wrote:

Wow! That's...
As a parent of a child who wanted to see B*Witched back in ~2000, I was at a concert where supporting act D&C came on stage with a great shout of of "Good evening Birmingham!" Spoiled only by it being Manchester that evening.
I'd forgotten all about Daphne & Celeste. They were ace.

IN YOUR EAR WITH A CAN OF BEER
UP YOUR BUTT WITH A COCONUT

I know what I'm listening to this evening.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:20 pm

AMS wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:05 pm
monkey wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:55 pm
AMS wrote:

Not sure if it's the same suit, but here for example:
https://eu.jsonline.com/story/news/poli ... 786051001/
The one I linked to was a Trump one in the WI State Supreme Court, that one's a Sidney Powell one in a Federal court. The Guardian article says she's got a similar one pending near the end, which could be that one, so possibly not yet seems to be the correct answer.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:24 pm

tenchboy wrote:
Chris Preston wrote:

Wow! That's...
What we need now is a Scrutable Screwball Comedy Thread.

ETA to add an 'm': breadcrumbs in the keyboard again!
It gives a terrifying insight into how 2020 has warped my expectations that without googling it I would be honestly unable to tell if tenchie is being serious or whimsical here. :shock:
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:26 pm

I googled it.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

bmforre
Snowbonk

Post by bmforre » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:35 pm

Very few Congress GOP members admit Biden has won
Just 27 congressional Republicans acknowledge Joe Biden’s win over President Trump a month after the former vice president’s clear victory of more than 7 million votes nationally and a convincing electoral-vote margin that exactly matched Trump’s 2016 tally.

Two Republicans consider Trump the winner despite all evidence showing otherwise. And another 220 GOP members of the House and Senate — about 88 percent of all Republicans serving in Congress — will simply not say who won the election.

Those are the findings of a Washington Post survey of all 249 Republicans in the House and Senate that began the morning after Trump posted a 46-minute video Wednesday evening in which he wrongly claimed he had defeated Biden and leveled wild and unsubstantiated allegations of “corrupt forces” who stole the outcome from the sitting president.
Incredible.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:01 am

bmforre wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:35 pm
Very few Congress GOP members admit Biden has won
Just 27 congressional Republicans acknowledge Joe Biden’s win over President Trump a month after the former vice president’s clear victory of more than 7 million votes nationally and a convincing electoral-vote margin that exactly matched Trump’s 2016 tally.

Two Republicans consider Trump the winner despite all evidence showing otherwise. And another 220 GOP members of the House and Senate — about 88 percent of all Republicans serving in Congress — will simply not say who won the election.

Those are the findings of a Washington Post survey of all 249 Republicans in the House and Senate that began the morning after Trump posted a 46-minute video Wednesday evening in which he wrongly claimed he had defeated Biden and leveled wild and unsubstantiated allegations of “corrupt forces” who stole the outcome from the sitting president.
Incredible.
Showing the extent to which Trumpism has taken over the Republican Party. I doubt that any of them personally doubt that Biden won. But they can't say it without risking fighting a primary against someone who is more ideologically pure.

bmforre
Snowbonk

Post by bmforre » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:18 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:01 am
... I doubt that any of them personally doubt that Biden won. But they can't say it without risking fighting a primary against someone who is more ideologically pure.
Time for deeper study of various wars of religion?

I fear that playing with schizophrenia carries more danger than these reality deniers are aware of:

From Merriam Webster: "NOTE: Schizophrenia often involves an inability to orient oneself with reality, a withdrawal from social interactions, and a failure to integrate thoughts with emotions so that emotional expression is inappropriate..."

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:28 pm

I think Woodchopper has it right. It's not a matter of who they believe won. It's that Trump still has the power to f.ck them over if they say he lost. And they, probably correctly, believe he absolutely would.

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:49 pm

Note that "will not say" includes quite a few "did not bother to reply to our email".

nekomatic
Dorkwood

Post by nekomatic » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:25 am

I’ve skipped numerous pages of this thread because, well, there were a lot. But I see people getting very agitated about Trump 2024 where a few weeks ago it seemed like we were doubting whether Trump would keep the dementia at bay long enough to make it through Trump 2020. Has something changed?
Move-a… side, and let the mango through… let the mango through