US Election

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Re: US Election

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:39 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:38 pm
Has something happened in Iowa? Greenfield is suddenly trailing.
More than a third of the vote is in, now, so be aware of weirdness about how models handle early voting.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:52 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
She's ahead in the 538 average and forecast.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:57 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:39 pm
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
More than a third of the vote is in, now, so be aware of weirdness about how models handle early voting.
The partisan split here is large, as well . In Iowa, 44% of registered Democrats have voted, against 24% of registered Republicans.

But party registration is not party ID, and certainly not an actual vote.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:59 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
I think we need to be cautious about inferring too much from a single still released by a very unethical man trying to drum up publicity, to be fair. If anyone deserves it, it's Rudy the Ratfucker, but it doesn't mean we can trust SBC.
I have a small side bet that the still is taken from a 2-second video sequence where he actually does tuck his shirt in, or otherwise adjust himself in some slightly weird old-man-with-prostate-cancer (which he is) way. Of course, if he writhes around or appears to be enjoying himself then I would be more than delighted to lose this bet.
Something something hammer something something nail

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:00 pm

dyqik wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:57 pm
The partisan split here is large, as well . In Iowa, 44% of registered Democrats have voted, against 24% of registered Republicans.
Doesn't this information provide a strong incentive for there to be a series of fires at wherever the ballot boxes are stored each evening?

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:39 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:00 pm
dyqik wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:57 pm
Doesn't this information provide a strong incentive for there to be a series of fires at wherever the ballot boxes are stored each evening?
Yes, and there's been one already. The strong security around such boxes is a major disincentive though.

These are usually at the city/town hall type locations, with cameras. And in my town, the police HQ is in the same building.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:48 pm

dyqik wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:03 pm
Grumble wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:45 pm
bolo wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:33 pm
I am shocked, yes shocked, that you voted yes on Question 1.
What’s that?
MA ballot question (referendum) to require car makers to provide access to electronic records and software in cars.
Thank you for voting Yes to question 1.

It's only because Americans voted themselves the legal right to see stuff like car service manuals that they get put up on the internet for the rest of us. I've got the diagrams for the US (and Japanese, but it's in Japanese) versions of my own car. The UK/Euro model has some differences but in over 20 years looking I've never had a sniff of the diagrams for those.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:52 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:48 pm
dyqik wrote:
Grumble wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:45 pm

What’s that?
MA ballot question (referendum) to require car makers to provide access to electronic records and software in cars.

It's only because Americans voted themselves the legal right to see stuff like car service manuals that they get put up on the internet for the rest of us.
You do realise that's basically communism right there. :shock:

Vote No on Question 1 if you don't want to be sent to a Siberian salt mine.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:57 pm

Little waster wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:52 pm

Strange isn't it? America is like an entirely different country sometimes.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:07 pm

Little waster wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:52 pm
Martin Y wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:48 pm
dyqik wrote:

It's only because Americans voted themselves the legal right to see stuff like car service manuals that they get put up on the internet for the rest of us.

Funnily enough, the only Vote No signs are outside large manufacturer owned dealerships.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:28 pm

Not sure if this is the best place, but it invovles Trump, so whatevs.

Trumps twitter password is/was maga2020 and he doesn't understand basic security, despite the same person guessing his password 4 years before. Also, despite having some of the best internet security people working for him, I'm assuming that this means he's too lazy to do what they tell him. I am also disappointed that the hacker didn't do something embarrassing, but understand why he didn't.

Dutch clicky, but translate seems to do a good enough job

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:51 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:59 pm
EACLucifer wrote:
I think we need to be cautious about inferring too much from a single still released by a very unethical man trying to drum up publicity, to be fair. If anyone deserves it, it's Rudy the Ratfucker, but it doesn't mean we can trust SBC.
I have a small side bet that the still is taken from a 2-second video sequence where he actually does tuck his shirt in, or otherwise adjust himself in some slightly weird old-man-with-prostate-cancer (which he is) way. Of course, if he writhes around or appears to be enjoying himself then I would be more than delighted to lose this bet.
Film reviewers who have seen the whole segment have said it's worse than the still suggests.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:54 pm

monkey wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:28 pm

Trumps twitter password is/was maga2020 and he doesn't understand basic security, despite the same person guessing his password 4 years before. Also, despite having some of the best internet security people working for him, I'm assuming that this means he's too lazy to do what they tell him. I am also disappointed that the hacker didn't do something embarrassing, but understand why he didn't.

Can you imagine how much trouble you’d be in? If you were not bothered about such things then it’d be a good laugh. I’d have been tempted to change the associated email and password and lock the f.cker out, but i bet Twitter would have put a stop to that quite quickly.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:11 pm

Grumble wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:54 pm
monkey wrote:

Can you imagine how much trouble you’d be in? If you were not bothered about such things then it’d be a good laugh. I’d have been tempted to change the associated email and password and lock the f.cker out, but i bet Twitter would have put a stop to that quite quickly.
Yeah, probably not worth decades in a US prison that you'd get.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:22 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:22 pm
I liked it when he became the first Nobel Prize winner to drone strike another Nobel Prize winner (Doctors Without Borders).

Stepping up deportations of law-abiding parents was very cool as well.

And who can forget his enormous success in closing down the illegal torture prison the US operates in Cuba?
Hush now, America needs its father figures otherwise how will they believe everything's OK really?
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:35 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
I liked it when he became the first Nobel Prize winner to drone strike another Nobel Prize winner (Doctors Without Borders).

And who can forget his enormous success in closing down the illegal torture prison the US operates in Cuba?
You're right, he's as bad as trump.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:14 pm

Bit of an exaggeration there, EPD. I think the truth is probably somewhere between your "they're all the same" position and LW's jokey hagiography (which is what I was responding to).
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:15 pm

discovolante wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:22 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:

Hush now, America needs its father figures otherwise how will they believe everything's OK really?
Well nobody else gets to think everything's ok really, so why should they?
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:21 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:15 pm
discovolante wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:

Because if USAians stop thinking they're exceptional the flag industry would collapse, and that must account for a significant chunk of GDP, given the number of flags I see.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:10 pm

monkey wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:21 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:15 pm
discovolante wrote:

Because if USAians stop thinking they're exceptional the flag industry would collapse, and that must account for a significant chunk of GDP, given the number of flags I see.
Chinese GDP, anyway.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:31 pm

Grumble wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:54 pm
monkey wrote:
Get burner phone and SIM with modest amount of data, put face mask on, take train to next large city, put hoody up, take bus to the edge of town, walk into the woods and find a spot where there's still 4G coverage, fire up VPN, set location to Washington DC, fire up Twitter, log in as Trump. announce resignation, confess to pee tape and everything else, remove SIM card, drop phone in river, walk back to bus stop, drop SIM card in drain, get bus back to station, get on train back home, fire up regular phone, observe mayhem, try not to look too pleased with yourself.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:42 am

A couple of buses with a walk down some residential streets in-between, and a reversible hoodie, probably. Buses have cctv.

Of course, masks are less suspicious now. And reversible for a color change.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:18 am

dyqik wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:42 am
A couple of buses with a walk down some residential streets in-between, and a reversible hoodie, probably. Buses have cctv.

Of course, masks are less suspicious now. And reversible for a color change.
And helpful for not looking pleased with yourself.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:51 am

Quinnipiac poll has Trump and Biden on 47 each in Texas
https://poll.qu.edu/pennsylvania/releas ... aseID=3680

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:23 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:14 pm
Bit of an exaggeration there, EPD. I think the truth is probably somewhere between your "they're all the same" position and LW's jokey hagiography (which is what I was responding to).
But then yours seemed a bit of an over-reaction to people essentially sighing and reminiscing about the time when the US President could string two sentences together and seemed to want the best for people. (LW's wasn't a jokey hagiography, it was ironic criticism). Nonetheless, people should be able to contrast Obama to Trump with fondness, without some dreary arse leaping down their necks because Obama did some not good stuff. It's no different from all the tw.ts on the far left of labour.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued