Princess POW

Re: US Election

Post by dyqik » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:15 pm

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:02 pm
“Thighland”

That is all.
That's not all though.

You have to include the right wing twitter self-declared intellectuals who are now insisting that that's the correct pronunciation on English.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:29 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:15 pm
Vertigowooyay wrote:
“Thighland”

That is all.
That's not all though.

You have to include the right wing twitter self-declared intellectuals who are now insisting that that's the correct pronunciation on English.
Really? Wow

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:55 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:29 pm
dyqik wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:15 pm
Vertigowooyay wrote:
“Thighland”

That is all.
That's not all though.

Really? Wow
Yeah, after I posted, I saw Dinesh D'Souza trying to authoritatively claim that's how it's pronounced in the UK, Australia and India. I didn't think that level of self debasement to aid a moron came so easily, but there you go.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:26 pm

Had to look up who Dinesh D'Souza was... to be honest, I can now easily believe he said that.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:47 pm

You should never mock someone mispronouncing a word, they’ve probably only ever seen it written down before. I’m not sure how you get to your mid 70’s and never hear Thailand said out loud, but never mind.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:43 pm

Grumble wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:47 pm
You should never mock someone mispronouncing a word, they’ve probably only ever seen it written down before. I’m not sure how you get to your mid 70’s and never hear Thailand said out loud, but never mind.
Particularly while hanging out with Jeffery Epstein and similar.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:48 am

FlammableFlower wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:26 pm
Had to look up who Dinesh D'Souza was... to be honest, I can now easily believe he said that.
Wikipedia wrote:Dinesh Joseph D'Souza is an Indian-born American far-right political provocateur, author, filmmaker, conspiracy theorist and convicted felon.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:29 am

Whatever happens in the election itself, unless Biden wins big, there's a very high chance of severe unrest and a rather large constitutional crisis.

https://www.the-american-interest.com/2 ... o-january/
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:54 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:29 am
Whatever happens in the election itself, unless Biden wins big, there's a very high chance of severe unrest and a rather large constitutional crisis.

https://www.the-american-interest.com/2 ... o-january/
It’s depressing that we are at the stage where that article even needed writing nevermind requires acting on.

What a damning indictment.

From a UK perspective, our government could play a key role in establishing “facts on the ground”.

Imagine a scenario of a Trump narrow win on the night slowly overhauled by post-in votes, recounts etc. in the days following. In that limbo a UK government publicly congratulating Trump on his re-election, say, would immensely shape the narrative that Trump is the clear winner and has been recognised such by the “clearly neutral” “International Community”.

Meanwhile the Tories look to Trump as their only hope of a significant post-Brexit trade deal and the most prominent member of the alt-right Caravan of c.nts they’ve decided to hitch our nation’s destiny to.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:55 pm

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... er/615082/

Interesting article from t'other side* examining how Republican tribalists (and other alt-right populist bubble dwellers in other countries) instinctively reject even neutral reporting of the facts never mind their opponents' immediately-suspect, partisan claims.

However hearing the same from people "just like them" from within their bubble has a significant impact far out of proportion to the impact it should have hence the possible game-changing role of the Lincoln Project, Veterans Against Trump etc.

*sort of
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:16 pm

Good article, thanks
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:01 pm

In "Random flailing around to avoid losing" news, Jared Kushner met with Elon Musk and Kanye West, and it appears that some of the Trump Campaign's lawyers and staff are also working on Kanye West's campaign. Which is obviously illegal and unethical.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:10 pm

Wow

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:18 pm

Oh, and the FiveThirtyEight Election Prediction Model is up if you feel like stepping away from Doomscrolling to try some Doomrefreshing.

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:50 pm

Trump seems to be openly admitting to screwing the USPS to stop universal mail-in voting.

I'd say that was impeachable, but f.ck it, this is apparently where we are now.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1293905691602751488
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:10 pm

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:50 pm
Trump seems to be openly admitting to screwing the USPS to stop universal mail-in voting.

I'd say that was impeachable, but f.ck it, this is apparently where we are now.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1293905691602751488
I would make a mock-surprised comment along the lines of "so has Trump just decided to just openly acting like a c.nt now?" but he's been doing that for years.

I think however, regardless of your political persuasion, we're reaching the point where Trump has gone so far beyond any reasonable democratic norms that the other Western leaders have no choice but to publicly shun him now.

I mean imagine if the leaders of your country went out of their way to embrace him, that would definitely be a massive cause for concern.

Spoiler:

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:47 pm

In other news

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... hair-water
SCROTUS wrote:“People are flushing toilets 10 times, 15 times, as opposed to once,” Trump told a meeting of small business leaders at the White House.
I would humbly suggest if you are regularly taking 15 flushes to "Dump your Trump" the issue is either you are routinely birthing King Kong's finger so should possibly cutback on the Big Macs or you are failing to operate the toilet correctly and should consult your doctor for possible mental .... thingymagig.

"Person, Man, Woman, Camera, TV"

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:58 am

Repugs stay classy

As an aside who names their child Goat-f.cker a..eh.le ... or whatever it is?

Certainly appears to be an argument for nominative determinism.

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:47 am

Lol. You'd think someone named Tucker Carlson would be really keen on not having people's first names mispronounced !!
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:05 am

So, they're trying to say that Oakland isn't in California or that California isn't in USA, USA, USA?

Or that the lawyer bloke, Eastman, lacks basic comprehension skills, 'cos the 14th Amendment looks pretty clear to me (yes, I have an English Language O-level)?
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:06 am

Lew Dolby wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:47 am
Lol. You'd think someone named Tucker Carlson would be really keen on not having people's first names mispronounced !!
What? Toocare?

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:49 am

murmur wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:05 am
So, they're trying to say that Oakland isn't in California or that California isn't in USA, USA, USA?

Or that the lawyer bloke, Eastman, lacks basic comprehension skills, 'cos the 14th Amendment looks pretty clear to me (yes, I have an English Language O-level)?
Well, he did lose the Republican primary to run against Harris for California AG in 2010(?). It's possible he isn't a very good lawyer.

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:17 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:49 am
murmur wrote:

Well, he did lose the Republican primary to run against Harris for California AG in 2010(?). It's possible he isn't a very good lawyer.
So, likes his grapes very sour, does he?

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:37 pm

dyqik wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:49 am
murmur wrote:

Not a very talented lawyer, then?
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:46 pm

murmur wrote:

Here’s the article. https://www.newsweek.com/some-questions ... on-1524483

tl;dr argues that citizenship due to birth in the US wasn’t automatic.