US Election

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
User avatar
lpm
Dorkwood
Posts: 1291
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm
Location: IMPEACH AND EXTERMINATE

Re: US Election

Post by lpm » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:30 pm

The Top Gun gal won your primary, EPD. She's requesting permission to buzz the tower.
I'll miss him after he's died in the pandemic

User avatar
Grumble
Catbabel
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: US Election

Post by Grumble » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:19 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:34 pm
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:31 pm
The times where trump has dropped lower are when he's done stuff that offends the republican side without gaining support from independents. I think the point where he insulted the family of a dead soldier, for instance, led to a brief drop in support.
Give it a week or two the Lincoln Project and VetsVote ad campaigns on Russia paying bounties on US troops to filter through to the polls...

Maybe it'll drop to 39%.
How many people is 1%? About 1 million?
I could squeeze my lemon till my blues went away, if I had possession over pancake day

User avatar
dyqik
After Pie
Posts: 1932
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: US Election

Post by dyqik » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:38 pm

Grumble wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:19 pm
dyqik wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:34 pm
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:31 pm
The times where trump has dropped lower are when he's done stuff that offends the republican side without gaining support from independents. I think the point where he insulted the family of a dead soldier, for instance, led to a brief drop in support.
Give it a week or two the Lincoln Project and VetsVote ad campaigns on Russia paying bounties on US troops to filter through to the polls...

Maybe it'll drop to 39%.
How many people is 1%? About 1 million?
In terms of a days worth of polls? About 30-60.

In terms of the likely voting population, about 1.4 million.

In terms of the registered voter population, about 1.8 million (ignoring North Dakota, which doesn't have voter registration. Or many people).

In terms of all adults of voting age, about 2.5 million.

Polls could attempting to model any of the last three.

User avatar
El Pollo Diablo
Dorkwood
Posts: 1082
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:41 pm
Location: FBPE

Re: US Election

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:37 pm

Montana has voted for the democrat candidate in the presidential election twice in the last 70 years - 1964 for Johnson, and 1992 for Clinton (Clinton didn't win a majority that year, only a plurality, because of Ross Perot who took 26% of the vote). Trump won it by 21% in 2016, Romney by 14% in 2012, George W Bush by 25% over Al Gore in 2000. It's normally a deeply red state.

Trump was ahead by only around 5 points there at the end of April, when the polls were 6 points in favour of Biden. Biden's since got an additional national lead of around 4 points. It's competitive.

Missouri was a bellwether state right up to the 2008 election, when McCain narrowly won. Since then, it's become much more firmly republican - Romney won it by over 9%, Trump by nearly 19%. Biden is ahead there by 2 points, according to a poll yesterday.
Mike Patton wrote:"You overdo it sometimes. There I am, peeing on Axl Rose’s teleprompter." He looks rueful: "I didn’t really have to do that."

User avatar
El Pollo Diablo
Dorkwood
Posts: 1082
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:41 pm
Location: FBPE

Re: US Election

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:43 pm

Oh yeah, and a poll a week ago had Biden a point up on Trump in Texas. So, you know.
Mike Patton wrote:"You overdo it sometimes. There I am, peeing on Axl Rose’s teleprompter." He looks rueful: "I didn’t really have to do that."

User avatar
dyqik
After Pie
Posts: 1932
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: US Election

Post by dyqik » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:27 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:43 pm
Oh yeah, and a poll a week ago had Biden a point up on Trump in Texas. So, you know.
Today one poll (PPP) had Biden up two, and another (Yougov) had him down four in Texas. The up two's field dates were a bit more recent than the down four ones, and CoVID is spiking right now there, with new shutdowns.

Also, Trump's campaign manager has a hilariously bad Op-Ed in the Washington Post where he's basically special pleading every stat he can to try and keep his job. Don't click on that story, click on this analysis of it instead.

User avatar
Little waster
Snowbonk
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 am
Location: About 1 inch behind my eyes

Re: US Election

Post by Little waster » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:06 am

A lot of noise from Fox and the bottom-half of the internet about the absolute certainty of a V-shaped recovery, basically because anything less than a sudden and dramatic improvement in the economy is likely to spells curtains for Trump.

Seems to me though it’s a variation of the “broken windows” fallacy; a degree of economic activity may prove to be elastic and is merely deferred ready to bounce-back as soon as the restrictions are lifted but a hell a lot of the economy will have been permanently forfeited. You simply can’t have three months worth of haircuts in a day, or harvest spring crops in the autumn or any of a thousand different examples of economic inelasticity.

And that’s before we even take into account the direct economic damage of COVID itself, in additional mortality and morbidity.
Shamelessly recycling old jokes since 1952.

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2605
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: with the birds

Re: US Election

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:20 am

Watch out Biden, there's a new candidate on the block:
We must now realize the promise of America by trusting God, unifying our vision and building our future. I am running for president of the United States 🇺🇸! #2020VISION
https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/12 ... 94112?s=19
now I'm falling asleep and she's calling acab

User avatar
bolo
Fuzzable
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:17 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: US Election

Post by bolo » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:07 am

538 did a piece a few days ago on the various strands of African American politics. It cited Kanye West as one of the tiny group of Trump-supporting conservatives.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ch ... -politics/

User avatar
dyqik
After Pie
Posts: 1932
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: US Election

Post by dyqik » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:05 am

It might have helped Trump if he'd bothered to do the research to find he's missed the filing deadlines to appear on the ballot in places like Texas, North Carolina, and Indiana and has 9 days to get 132,000 signatures in Florida.

User avatar
Grumble
Catbabel
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: US Election

Post by Grumble » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:38 am

dyqik wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:05 am
It might have helped Trump if he'd bothered to do the research to find he's missed the filing deadlines to appear on the ballot in places like Texas, North Carolina, and Indiana and has 9 days to get 132,000 signatures in Florida.
Surely Trump has filed the right paperwork? The RNC wouldn’t be so neglectful?
I could squeeze my lemon till my blues went away, if I had possession over pancake day

User avatar
dyqik
After Pie
Posts: 1932
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: US Election

Post by dyqik » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:47 am

Grumble wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:38 am
dyqik wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:05 am
It might have helped Trump if he'd bothered to do the research to find he's missed the filing deadlines to appear on the ballot in places like Texas, North Carolina, and Indiana and has 9 days to get 132,000 signatures in Florida.
Surely Trump has filed the right paperwork? The RNC wouldn’t be so neglectful?
"He" here is Kanye.

User avatar
Grumble
Catbabel
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: US Election

Post by Grumble » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:31 pm

dyqik wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:47 am
Grumble wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:38 am
dyqik wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:05 am
It might have helped Trump if he'd bothered to do the research to find he's missed the filing deadlines to appear on the ballot in places like Texas, North Carolina, and Indiana and has 9 days to get 132,000 signatures in Florida.
Surely Trump has filed the right paperwork? The RNC wouldn’t be so neglectful?
"He" here is Kanye.
I did wonder if you meant that but couldn’t square Kanye running with Kanye helping Trump.
I could squeeze my lemon till my blues went away, if I had possession over pancake day

User avatar
dyqik
After Pie
Posts: 1932
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: US Election

Post by dyqik » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:11 pm

Grumble wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:31 pm
dyqik wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:47 am
Grumble wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:38 am


Surely Trump has filed the right paperwork? The RNC wouldn’t be so neglectful?
"He" here is Kanye.
I did wonder if you meant that but couldn’t square Kanye running with Kanye helping Trump.
Kanye has met with Trump several times, and appeared at conservative evangelical megachurches in Texas etc.

User avatar
Grumble
Catbabel
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: US Election

Post by Grumble » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:31 pm

dyqik wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:11 pm
Grumble wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:31 pm
dyqik wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:47 am


"He" here is Kanye.
I did wonder if you meant that but couldn’t square Kanye running with Kanye helping Trump.
Kanye has met with Trump several times, and appeared at conservative evangelical megachurches in Texas etc.
Yes, I get that, I thought Kanye running for president might remove any people who might be supporting Trump because of Kanye’s endorsement. I can’t imagine that’s a big number, but if that happened it wouldn’t help Trump surely?
I could squeeze my lemon till my blues went away, if I had possession over pancake day

User avatar
bolo
Fuzzable
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:17 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: US Election

Post by bolo » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:42 pm

I think the hypothesis is that Kanye would take some Black votes away from Biden.

Post Reply