US Election

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Re: US Election

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:34 pm

dyqik wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:44 am
Is it bad if you put the judge's signature on an order you've just submitted before he rules on it?
Is it also bad if you don't realise you need to file a motion to amend the submission until prompted in court, and that your amended version is completely and utterly insane and bears no relation to the original submission written by competent lawyers who wisely withdrew from this lolsuit?

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:53 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:34 pm
dyqik wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:44 am
Is it bad if you put the judge's signature on an order you've just submitted before he rules on it?
Is it also bad if you don't realise you need to file a motion to amend the submission until prompted in court, and that your amended version is completely and utterly insane and bears no relation to the original submission written by competent lawyers who wisely withdrew from this lolsuit?
I am not a lawyer - so I'll just say, it is on-brand at least.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:56 pm

Hmm, apparently George Soros conspired with Hugo Chavez to steal Trump's re-election from him.

Hugo Chavez died in 2013.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:58 pm

Allo V Psycho wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:54 am
Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:50 pm
You can all laugh but according to this poll 70% of Republicans think that Biden’s win was due to fraud.
https://twitter.com/akarl_smith/status/ ... 73440?s=21

Seems to be the same as the last four years. Lots of people laughing at what is actually a successful strategy to influence millions of voters.

I’ll bet that for years to come, pretty much anyone wanting to get elected as a Republican will have to state that Trump was cheated out of victory by Biden, and that Biden is not a legitimate President. Trump will be out of the Whitehouse but Trumpism goes on.
This article summarises exactly what I've been fearing, along these lines. And I think is well written.

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2020/1 ... afterlife/
It’s a good article. Depressing, but at the same time uplifting, as if someone can write that well there’s hope for humanity.

I feel like a lot of the criticism of Trump is akin to people watching the filming of Birth of a Nation and pointing out that the sets are made of cardboard and the guns aren’t real. The Trump and Republican project isn’t about reality, the point is to construct a myth.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:05 pm

dyqik wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:56 pm
Hmm, apparently George Soros conspired with Hugo Chavez to steal Trump's re-election from him.
Presumably Herman Cain retweeted this today.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:36 pm

dyqik wrote:

The Clintons and Antifa were all up in there too.

It seems to me they're using the courts like a reality TV show. As long as they have Rudy et al. making their claims, the events can be edited by the Trump friendly "journalists" to give the narrative they want. While we're all laughing at the stupidity of it, they're building up a story that's going to end with the courts being corrupt. Trumpers watching ONAN will believe it, because it's the only story they'll see.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:43 pm

monkey wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:36 pm
dyqik wrote:

The Clintons and Antifa were all up in there too.

It seems to me they're using the courts like a reality TV show. As long as they have Rudy et al. making their claims, the events can be edited by the Trump friendly "journalists" to give the narrative they want. While we're all laughing at the stupidity of it, they're building up a story that's going to end with the courts being corrupt. Trumpers watching ONAN will believe it, because it's the only story they'll see.
Yes, that's the game plan. Millions of angry disillusioned voters who'll keep supporting Trump someone like him. Its part of a long term strategy, and its being executed as we watch.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:55 pm

Does anyone actually watch OANN?

The extremists who do are going to stay extremists. It matters more if regular Fox watching Trump supporters are gradually deflated by a bit of reality on Fox.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:04 pm

lpm wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:55 pm

The extremists who do are going to stay extremists. It matters more if regular Fox watching Trump supporters are gradually deflated by a bit of reality on Fox.
It's worth remembering that a lot of the danger of Fox is that it is slickly produced and if you don't know otherwise, often presents things in a way that is quite believable to someone who just isn't politically engaged. OANN is dangerous in that it is willing to traffic in total, absolute b.llsh.t rather than just heavily slanting something that at least resembles reality, but it only really works on existing believers, while Fox can push bad ideas to the otherwise unengaged.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:18 pm

Apparently OANN has reported audience figures of 14,000 max. However, apparently they don't conform to the minimum standards, or numbers, too have their data properly compiled - so it could be more...

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:39 pm

lpm wrote:

It's more than just ONAN. I just used them for shorthand. The Trumpshphere is larger than only them. Something bigger than ONAN that have convinced 70% of Republican voters that there was widespread election fraud, and it seems to me that the Trump campaign is taking their strategy from the way reality TV constructs a narrative, something that you'd imagine Trump knows about, being a reality TV star. I'm worried that it's working, and that it's going to get harder to fix the longer it goes on.

Another problem is that the extremists are also the loudest and currently at the top of the party. And that influences what regular GOP politicians do and say, if they want to keep their jobs. They've all seen what happens to e.g. Jeff Sessions if you don't toe the line, and those people get to go on Fox News and talk. The Trumpshere exerts an influence much larger than size.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:41 pm

OANN's logo is super similar to the Onion News Network's, and I don't back myself to distinguish their articles more successfully than chance.

Yet more evidence for the hypothesis that reality and satire are converging.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:51 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:18 pm
Apparently OANN has reported audience figures of 14,000 max. However, apparently they don't conform to the minimum standards, or numbers, too have their data properly compiled - so it could be more...
As a long time watcher of Trump rallies I can confirm that there are definitely more than 14000 ONANists in America.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:55 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:11 pm
AND NOW the Giuliani lolsuit has had its evidenciary hearing, which was due tomorrow, cancelled by Judge Brann. I don't think this bodes well for the lolsuit, and Id be unsurprised if it were found they lack standing, especially given how badly Giuliani handled the standing part of it.
Giuliani does often seem to have trouble with standing.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:59 pm

In regards to Fox, that human--shaped clump of shower-drain pubes Sean Hannity declared Rudy's humiliating performance in front of the judge as "absolutely brilliant".

That's so far beyond Barking his best bet is to wait till Upminster and then Uber it back.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:29 pm

lpm wrote:

The more distant bits of my Texas family do. The closer bits just listen to Limbaugh, which is relatively safer.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:41 pm

To be clear, laughing at these lawsuits is not seeking to downplay them. I've already made it clear that maximum pressure should be brought to end the charade. That said, one thing fascists really, really hate is being laughed at.

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:59 pm

Apparently Hugo Chavez and George Soros are part of the conspiracy. Which, on the part of Chavez, is impressive foresight for someone who died 7 years ago.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:40 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:41 pm
To be clear, laughing at these lawsuits is not seeking to downplay them. I've already made it clear that maximum pressure should be brought to end the charade. That said, one thing fascists really, really hate is being laughed at.
I've been laughing too, I think my comments were aimed at me, if anyone in particular. I just remembered being a bit too complacent about Trump in 2016.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:56 pm

bjn wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:02 pm
My hope is that this somehow splits the utter right wing crazies off from the normal rightwing crazies and the right can fight itself for a while. Trump TV vs FoxNEWs would be interesting, or could just push Fox off into utter crazy.
Some republicans likely to face utter lunatics in their primaries. May struggle if utter lunatics follow behaviour current republicans are tacitly supporting with Trump and do not concede after primary defeat.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:58 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:30 pm

Another lolsuit incoming, this one in Georgia (or George, or Georiga, as Trumpists have been spelling it lately). For those not in the know, Lin Wood is not the most hinged of fellows.
And it is denied! It included this moment;

Judge Grimberg: “What’s the constitutional claim he’s (Wood) bringing on the recount?”
(Long pause)
Grimberg: “Procedural due process or substantive due process?”
Smith: “Both.”
Grimberg: “Both? Can you explain?”

Would I be right in thinking the question Judge Grimberg is asking here is roughly akin to "do you want to bat first or field first" in that one really does have to pick one?

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:59 pm

Grumble wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:00 pm
Lolsuit

9687AFE9-68FF-432D-9540-DCE5CFF70B8F.jpeg
They lost that one too. And a time wasting attempt to delay certification in Arizona. That's three losses in a few hours, and I think 32 in total, in exchange for one very small gain upholding an existing rule and affecting a tiny number of ballots.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:32 am

The Arizona one came with a very heavy hint that a motion for legal costs for the state would be granted.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:33 am

EACLucifer wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:56 pm
bjn wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:02 pm
My hope is that this somehow splits the utter right wing crazies off from the normal rightwing crazies and the right can fight itself for a while. Trump TV vs FoxNEWs would be interesting, or could just push Fox off into utter crazy.
Some republicans likely to face utter lunatics in their primaries. May struggle if utter lunatics follow behaviour current republicans are tacitly supporting with Trump and do not concede after primary defeat.
They could always try to support popular policies that the majority of the general electorate want...

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:36 am

dyqik wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:32 am
The Arizona one came with a very heavy hint that a motion for legal costs for the state would be granted.
Dismissed with prejudice, and court has ordered that the state can file for legal costs, yeah.

One of the most transparently meritless bits of delaying I've seen. They basically argued that because Maricopa County used a polling centre model rather than a precinct model, that the audit confirming the machine count by hand counting 2% of polling centres was wrong, because the law orginally referred to precincts. Either way, 2% of the vote would be audited, and I fail to see what kind of harm they claimed they might suffer, especially what kind of redressable individualised harm that standing rules depend upon, and I fail to see what they might gain by changing the size of the audit, or why this ought to delay certification in any way.