US Election

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Locked
User avatar
dyqik
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3225
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: US Election

Post by dyqik » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:21 pm

Little waster wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:19 pm
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:55 pm
I feel a bit empty now that I'm not slavishly addicted to polls.
So... No thoughts on the upcoming 2022 elections for the House of Representatives then? The Repugs flipping 4-8 seats would make Biden’s life very difficult.

I'm sure 538 have a percentage tracker for the likelihood of a midterm red wave. Perhaps you should go check...
C'mon, there's the two Georgia run-offs first.

(last polls were Warnock 49 - 48 Loeffler, and Ossoff 49 - 49 Perdue, a week ago)

User avatar
dyqik
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3225
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: US Election

Post by dyqik » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:26 pm

I'll put this here as the most relevant weighty thread - OANN has been banned from YouTube for a week for spreading CoVID disinformation. It had 1.2 million subscribers there.

User avatar
Vertigowooyay
Fuzzable
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:25 pm

Re: US Election

Post by Vertigowooyay » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:59 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:26 pm
I'll put this here as the most relevant weighty thread - OANN has been banned from YouTube for a week for spreading CoVID disinformation. It had 1.2 million subscribers there.
I can hear them martyring themselves from here.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

User avatar
Vertigowooyay
Fuzzable
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:25 pm

Re: US Election

Post by Vertigowooyay » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:47 pm

Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

User avatar
Gfamily
After Pie
Posts: 2089
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm
Location: NW England

Re: US Election

Post by Gfamily » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:01 pm

As someone said "This year Trump pardoned only the white meat of the turkey"
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Light of Blast
Posts: 4838
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: nadir of brie

Re: US Election

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:50 pm

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:59 pm
dyqik wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:26 pm
I'll put this here as the most relevant weighty thread - OANN has been banned from YouTube for a week for spreading CoVID disinformation. It had 1.2 million subscribers there.
I can hear them martyring themselves from here.
They were also talking about starting their own twitter. All we have to do next is convince them that some random far-flung islands (maybe the Falklands, they've got to be useful for something other than re-electing Thatcher) are the only places where the paedos' Satan-rays can't reach and they'll go and isolate themselves there and the rest of us get the world back.
THINK BIG AND UPEND THE SYSTEM

#ShowYourStripes

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Light of Blast
Posts: 4838
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: nadir of brie

Re: US Election

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:53 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:01 pm
As someone said "This year Trump pardoned only the white meat of the turkey"
I was looking at this National Geographic photographer's pic of US turkey production earlier. f.cking hell. https://www.instagram.com/p/CH7st0FD16R/
THINK BIG AND UPEND THE SYSTEM

#ShowYourStripes

User avatar
dyqik
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3225
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: US Election

Post by dyqik » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:15 am

Something good has come of the lolsuit - https://twitter.com/RMFifthCircuit/stat ... 22819?s=19

EACLucifer
Dorkwood
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:49 am
Location: Behind you

Re: US Election

Post by EACLucifer » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:59 am

For those needing context regarding Trump's current legal efforts, there's two sorts;

In the first, Biden's got five overs spare, eight wickets in hand. Scores were level when he smacked it out to the boundary. Umpire signals a six and the game is done. Trump runs up to the umpire to insist that a TV umpire review is needed, saying the ball bounced inside the rope. What he's asking for cannot win him the game.

In the second, he's arguing that the umpire should give the batsman out because he was clearly caught by a member of the crowd. Utter nonsense, in other words.

FlammableFlower
Catbabel
Posts: 915
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Re: US Election

Post by FlammableFlower » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:05 am

dyqik wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:15 am
Something good has come of the lolsuit - https://twitter.com/RMFifthCircuit/stat ... 22819?s=19
Also, see the image that accompanies this tweet:
Responses to Trump's 3d Cir. appeal are coming in. This one, from Democrats Abroad, begins by citing Monty Python to describe the elite strike force.

EACLucifer
Dorkwood
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:49 am
Location: Behind you

Re: US Election

Post by EACLucifer » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:13 pm

Trump is apparently going to appear at an event at The Wyndham Hotel in Gettysburg Pennsylvania today. Assuming, that is, nobody got confused and booked it at Wyndham Landscapes, Peterborough, England.

User avatar
headshot
Snowbonk
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 am

Re: US Election

Post by headshot » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:58 pm

Gettysburg FFS. He honestly thinks he’s comparable to Lincoln.

User avatar
malbui
Fuzzable
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:25 am

Re: US Election

Post by malbui » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:01 pm

Gettysburg. Where 50,000 died in a battle between racists and decent people.
And when it starts to slide
Let it go
Leave it behind

User avatar
Martin Y
Dorkwood
Posts: 1542
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Re: US Election

Post by Martin Y » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:08 pm

headshot wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:58 pm
Gettysburg FFS. He honestly thinks he’s comparable to Lincoln.
Maybe to Pickett.

User avatar
dyqik
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3225
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: US Election

Post by dyqik » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:19 pm

malbui wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:01 pm
Gettysburg. Where 50,000 died in a battle between racists and decent people.
Trump has been trying to stop the military renaming bases named after Confederate soldiers.

User avatar
dyqik
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3225
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: US Election

Post by dyqik » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:21 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:13 pm
Trump is apparently going to appear at an event at The Wyndham Hotel in Gettysburg Pennsylvania today. Assuming, that is, nobody got confused and booked it at Wyndham Landscapes, Peterborough, England.
Guiliani has also been exposed to CoVID in the past week, so there's that as well.

User avatar
lpm
After Pie
Posts: 2533
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm

Re: US Election

Post by lpm » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:50 pm

They cancelled it. Unfair.
What ever happened to that Trump guy, you know, the one who was president for a bit?

EACLucifer
Dorkwood
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:49 am
Location: Behind you

Re: US Election

Post by EACLucifer » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:57 pm

dyqik wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:21 pm
EACLucifer wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:13 pm
Trump is apparently going to appear at an event at The Wyndham Hotel in Gettysburg Pennsylvania today. Assuming, that is, nobody got confused and booked it at Wyndham Landscapes, Peterborough, England.
Guiliani has also been exposed to CoVID in the past week, so there's that as well.
Twice, apparently. Being in a closed, confined room with a coughing man (his own son, FWIW) who tested positive the next day was apparently not enough to make the c.nt self isolate the first time.

EACLucifer
Dorkwood
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:49 am
Location: Behind you

Re: US Election

Post by EACLucifer » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:05 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:57 pm
dyqik wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:21 pm
EACLucifer wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:13 pm
Trump is apparently going to appear at an event at The Wyndham Hotel in Gettysburg Pennsylvania today. Assuming, that is, nobody got confused and booked it at Wyndham Landscapes, Peterborough, England.
Guiliani has also been exposed to CoVID in the past week, so there's that as well.
Twice, apparently. Being in a closed, confined room with a coughing man (his own son, FWIW) who tested positive the next day was apparently not enough to make the c.nt self isolate the first time.
And he's actually speaking at the event. Not sure if it's Giuliani's exposure that deterred Trump or someone else, but Giuliani should be isolation right now, not making preposterous claims in person like the claim that Virginia was so close they could have won it (actual margin was not the 1 percentage point that Giuliani claimed, but more than 10 percentage points)

EACLucifer
Dorkwood
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:49 am
Location: Behind you

Re: US Election

Post by EACLucifer » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:26 pm

Others at meeting currently trying to argue that counties that contacted voters whose mail ballots had issues overreached, and that this made ballots ineligible.

This is a disturbing failure to comprehend democracy.

Ballot cure is when someone failed to include sufficient information to convince the state they were who they said they were, and that they sent the ballot when they said they did and so on. Cure means they have provided that information, and confirmed that they are a legitimate voter.

Though often used that way in practise, signature rules, insistence on putting a date and address on and so on, are not meant to be tests that make it harder to vote. They are permissible because they are supposed to enhance the security of the election, but there is no way curing a ballot - after all, if someone is contacted and responds it very much confirms they are who they say they are - undermines the security of the election. All it does is reduce the amount of people disenfranchised by a system that is supposed to secure the election. They really are saying the quiet part out loud here.

EACLucifer
Dorkwood
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:49 am
Location: Behind you

Re: US Election

Post by EACLucifer » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:53 pm

Trump now speaking at the event, by means of mobile phone on speakerphone held against a microphone. He's still claiming he won.

User avatar
Martin_B
Catbabel
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:20 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: US Election

Post by Martin_B » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:56 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:53 pm
Trump now speaking at the event, by means of mobile phone on speakerphone held against a microphone. He's still claiming he won.
He's literally phoning it in? :lol:
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

EACLucifer
Dorkwood
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:49 am
Location: Behind you

Re: US Election

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:22 am

dyqik wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:21 pm
Little waster wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:19 pm
El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:55 pm
I feel a bit empty now that I'm not slavishly addicted to polls.
So... No thoughts on the upcoming 2022 elections for the House of Representatives then? The Repugs flipping 4-8 seats would make Biden’s life very difficult.

I'm sure 538 have a percentage tracker for the likelihood of a midterm red wave. Perhaps you should go check...
C'mon, there's the two Georgia run-offs first.

(last polls were Warnock 49 - 48 Loeffler, and Ossoff 49 - 49 Perdue, a week ago)
InsiderAdvantage, by the way. While a lot of the polling missed by overestimating Democrat support, InsiderAdvantage were one of the few that missed the other way, notably giving Trump +2 in Georgia in their final poll of the state, a similar miss would do nicely here.

It's currently in the news that Perdue was questioned by the FBI over his insider trading.

And Rev. Warnock has run what might be one of the best political ads ever to counter Loeffler's nonsense.

EACLucifer
Dorkwood
Posts: 1021
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:49 am
Location: Behind you

Re: US Election

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:58 am

In case you are wondering how things are going on the lolsuit front, Sidney Powell has misspelled "district" twice in the first sentence of her filing, and not even misspelled it the same way twice, either.

Image

User avatar
lpm
After Pie
Posts: 2533
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm

Re: US Election

Post by lpm » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:12 am

Criticise all you like, but she did spell Georgia correctly. Unlike Trump.
What ever happened to that Trump guy, you know, the one who was president for a bit?

Locked