US Election

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
lpm
Junior Mod

Re: US Election

Post by lpm » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:27 pm

The queue to vote in Miami will be so long it'll merge with the queue to vote in Georgia, stretching up through the Carolinas to Virginia. People will ask, excuse me where does the line start, and get told it begins just north of Philadelphia.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:28 pm

lpm wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:27 pm
The queue to vote in Miami will be so long it'll merge with the queue to vote in Georgia, stretching up through the Carolinas to Virginia. People will ask, excuse me where does the line start, and get told it begins just north of Philadelphia.
But then that line will be going through the red bits of Florida...

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:37 pm

The white people's line will be only a couple of people in red baseball hats. This is the black folk's line. You'll wake up north of Boston and see black people queuing past your house and they'll tell you it's the Tallahassee line.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:17 pm

dyqik wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:30 am
The state GE polls so far this morning:
New Mexico - Trump -14
Michigan - Trump -13, -16
Florida - Trump -11

The last one is the big one there, but the margins in all of them are large.
You can add a:
Arizona - Trump -4

to that now.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:46 pm

If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:59 pm

On the senate front, Arizona, Colorado, Maine and North Carolina all look like having a chance of turning Democrat; Alabama is likely to turn Republican. There are tossups in Iowa, Kansas and Montana, apparently, though each of those is slightly bonkers. As it stands, though, there's a good chance of the Democrats failing to recapture the Senate.

Still, a poll on the 8th June had McConnell losing in Kentucky, which is fun.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:12 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:46 pm
The republicans think they're doing well, though. So. Yeah.
They're also sending out cease and desist letters to people running polls that give unfavorable results, lying to Trump about what the polls show, etc.

This stuff is pure propaganda to keep his support onside and to grift off of a "stolen" election later.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:53 pm

Anyone want to adopt a senate race and watch it over the coming months?

I'll take Iowa. It's more strongly Trumpy than it was Republican - he won it by 9 points. It has that literal Nazi Congressman in one of its districts, but he lost his primary. It's current too close to call in the Presidential, but a bit of an incumbency advantage for the Republican in the Senate race.

Unusually two women in the race - Joni Ernst (R) won by 52-44 in 2014. Ernst is an Iraq War veteran - first female combat veteran elected to the Senate. She had an abusive husband and a messy divorce. She's been a solid Trumpist, never stepping out of line. Her excuse in the impeachment trial was the "Trump's learned his lesson" formulation.

Theresa Greenfield (D) doesn't seem the most dazzling candidate. Zero experience, no elections won. In business in real estate. The only interesting thing I can find is her electrician husband was killed in a workplace accident when she was 24, leaving her a single mother with two young sons.

She grew up on a farm and probably knows all about corn. Her slogan is "I’m a farm kid with farm kid values". No, I'm not making that up. I assure you, I'm really not making that up.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:56 pm

lpm wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:53 pm
Theresa Greenfield (D) doesn't seem the most dazzling candidate. Zero experience, no elections won. In business in real estate. The only interesting thing I can find is her electrician husband was killed in a workplace accident when she was 24, leaving her a single mother with two young sons.

She grew up on a farm and probably knows all about corn. Her slogan is "I’m a farm kid with farm kid values". No, I'm not making that up. I assure you, I'm really not making that up.
And yet, Greenfield is currently ahead https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/senate/iowa/

Gentleman Jim
Catbabel

Post by Gentleman Jim » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:57 pm

Indiana wants me
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:09 pm

lpm wrote:

I'll take Iowa. It's more strongly Trumpy than it was Republican - he won it by 9 points. It has that literal Nazi Congressman in one of its districts, but he lost his primary. It's current too close to call in the Presidential, but a bit of an incumbency advantage for the Republican in the Senate race.

Unusually two women in the race - Joni Ernst (R) won by 52-44 in 2014. Ernst is an Iraq War veteran - first female combat veteran elected to the Senate. She had an abusive husband and a messy divorce. She's been a solid Trumpist, never stepping out of line. Her excuse in the impeachment trial was the "Trump's learned his lesson" formulation.

I'll have a look at Kentucky. That seems a fun one. That it's even anywhere near a contest is mental.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:50 pm

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:09 pm
lpm wrote:
I'll have a look at Kentucky. That seems a fun one. That it's even anywhere near a contest is mental.
Democrat governor as well, which makes rigging a little harder (Republicans elected to lower state offices though)

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:19 am

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. The kids are all right.

6,600 people. 10 mins defending himself on ramps. Boasting that he can drink a glass of water. Rambling the rest of the time.

No re-election message. No "build the wall" slogan. No entertainment.

And the admission that will make the history books:
Here's the bad part: When you do testing to that extent, you're gonna find more people, you're gonna find more cases. So I said to my people, 'slow the testing down please!'

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:09 am

lpm wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:19 am
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. The kids are all right.

6,600 people. 10 mins defending himself on ramps. Boasting that he can drink a glass of water. Rambling the rest of the time.

No re-election message. No "build the wall" slogan. No entertainment.

And the admission that will make the history books:
Here's the bad part: When you do testing to that extent, you're gonna find more people, you're gonna find more cases. So I said to my people, 'slow the testing down please!'
My favourite part is the campaign quietly dismantling the other podium where he intended to speak to “the overflow crowd”.

Expect some prime tweetrage coming from the executive toilet soon.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... SApp_Other
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:33 am

It'll have driven him nuts, but he'll still be telling everyone it was the best rally ever.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:00 am

My favourite bit is him asking Airforce One to fly over the arena so he could look down on the crowds.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:08 am

No wait this is my favourite bit. He manages to drink water. GREATEST. PRESIDENT. EVER.

https://twitter.com/DeAnna4Congress/sta ... 2502160386

They've finally set the level of expectations so low that he can pass it.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:13 am

lpm wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:08 am
No wait this is my favourite bit. He manages to drink water. GREATEST. PRESIDENT. EVER.

Sometimes...
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:13 am

My god, listen to the crowd of 6,600 scream with admiration when he manages to drink water! To be fair, sounds like normally he spills water all down his nice silk tie, so he did well. This is what practice gets you.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1274505721468588033

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:38 am

lpm wrote:

Even better, social media has many Trumpers thinking they own the libtards by triumphantly saying “My President *can* drink water!” As low bars go, that’s impressive.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

bmforre
Snowbonk

Post by bmforre » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:59 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... rms-years/
President Trump’s pick to be the next U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York, Jay Clayton, is the chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission and a longtime corporate lawyer with deep connections to Wall Street. But he has no experience as a federal prosecutor.

On his 2017 SEC financial disclosure form, for example, Clayton listed Deutsche Bank as a source of compensation “exceeding $5,000.” The bank was a client of his former law firm Sullivan & Cromwell.
And surprise, surprise:
The German bank has repeatedly run afoul of federal and state laws and was implicated in large money laundering schemes. It is also at the center of a battle between the Trump administration and House Democrats over the release of the president’s financial records. The bank has played critical role in Trump’s real estate business, lending him more than $360 million since 2012.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:14 am

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:17 am

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:38 am
lpm wrote:

Even better, social media has many Trumpers thinking they own the libtards by triumphantly saying “My President *can* drink water!” As low bars go, that’s impressive.
Ha the jokes on you libtards, masterful trolling by Trump by tricking the voting public into thinking he’s a feeble-bodied as he is feeble-minded. We are heading towards a landslide re-election clearly.

PICK IT UP! PICK IT UP!
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:36 pm

lpm wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:14 am
oh no this so sad

https://twitter.com/_RichardHall/status ... 4557552645
Odd. I assumed an intelligent person like you could spell ‘hilarious’.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:40 pm

To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.