Worlds Greatest Bridges

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
rockdoctor
Clardic Fug

Re: Worlds Greatest Bridges

Post by rockdoctor » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:40 am

This new motorway bridge over the Mosel in Germany has entertained me during the construction phase. I watched it on their webcams, but I also went over there several times a year throughout (my wife comes from the area).
0.jpg
0.jpg (170.29 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
They built the columns inwards from the valley sides, while constructing the bridge in sections entirely on the eastern side (left, on the photo), then pushing it across the pillars on sliding bearings. When it was all the way across they jacked up eachsection and replaced the sliding bearings with static bearings.
There was a huge delay in the schedule when they discovered that one of the tallest pillars, just to the right of the river in the picture, was supposed to be built on shallow bedrock, but turned out to be unstable rubbly ground in the subsurface. They had about a year of deep piling to solve the problem. Even Germans have delays on their projects!

It is set to have a grand opening ceremony on 21st Nov if you happen to be in the area

Ben B
Stargoon

Post by Ben B » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:52 am

lpm wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:22 pm
It was the worse vertigo experience of my life. And you have to do it twice.
No it wasn't, it was the worst acrophobia experience.
Vertigo isn't a fear of heights, it's a dizzying feeling of moving when you're not, eg when you look up at a tall building and the movement of clouds make you feel as though you're falling.
The first ten million years were the worst.
And the second ten million, they were the worst too.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:04 pm

I thought acrophobia was the deep dread that occurs when you try and open a PDF, and the Adobe loading screen appears after 30 seconds.