Misguided attempts at solidarity - blackface edition

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Re: How to help end structural racism

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:52 pm

Setting the bar very low indeed - but here's a good example of what not to do ;)
Attachments
Screenshot_20200618_135156.jpg
Screenshot_20200618_135156.jpg (233.98 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:58 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:52 pm
Setting the bar very low indeed - but here's a good example of what not to do ;)
Uh. How the f.ck is that related to this thread?
This is some horrible racists being horribly racist.
It's deliberate racist provocation. You do understand that, right?
Can't we keep this thread to positive things that can help?

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:04 pm

I agree with tom, to be honest. I know it was posted in some jest but I think that post is better being somewhere not here.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:25 pm

Fair enough, I shall have split the posts off.

To clarify, I intended that photo to be an example of a well-intentioned but misguided attempt to show solidarity. While I can't find the discussion where I got that particular example from, there have been many examples of influencers wearing blackface. It's an effect of people wanting to do something, or wanting to be seen to do something, without having put in the effort to make sure that their efforts will be received as intended.
Last edited by Bird on a Fire on Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: verb tense

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Misguided attempts at solidarity - blackface edition

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:25 pm

Posts split from "How to help end structural racism" thread.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:37 pm

tom p wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:58 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case, though I can totally see why you'd think so. There have actually been a lot of instances of celebrities and 'influencers' posting images of themselves in blackface to 'support' BLM (apologies for Mail link, but it includes plenty of equally egregious examples). That image is apparently well-intentioned, from a Russian influencer and her family.

I was intending it as a light-hearted example of how one person's well-intentioned action can easily come across as absurdly tone-deaf to others, as we'd been discussing. Note also that many of the people involved have doubled down, rather than apologising, in the belief that their good intentions override the offence they've caused to others.

Obviously without context that doesn't come across, and I don't want to derail the other thread. Sorry for the confusion.

tom p
After Pie

Re: Misguided attempts at solidarity - blackface edition

Post by tom p » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:09 pm

f.cking hell, some people really are facile and deluded aren't they.
The whole "raising awareness" thing is just such a dumb load of crap.

Thanks for splitting it - sorry I was a bit grumpy about your post. I see what you were getting at; however I don't believe for one second that the picture you posted is anything other than people being deliberately racist and provocative, no matter what they might subsequently claim. Every bit of it is clearly designed to be racist or to provoke.

Bewildered
Fuzzable

Post by Bewildered » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:05 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:37 pm
tom p wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:58 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the case, though I can totally see why you'd think so. There have actually been a lot of instances of celebrities and 'influencers' posting images of themselves in blackface to 'support' BLM (apologies for Mail link, but it includes plenty of equally egregious examples). That image is apparently well-intentioned, from a Russian influencer and her family.

I was intending it as a light-hearted example of how one person's well-intentioned action can easily come across as absurdly tone-deaf to others, as we'd been discussing. Note also that many of the people involved have doubled down, rather than apologising, in the belief that their good intentions override the offence they've caused to others.

Obviously without context that doesn't come across, and I don't want to derail the other thread. Sorry for the confusion.
The examples I saw in the dailymail article look like you describe them, people trying to support BLM in a very stupid way by doing blackface.

The picture on the OP looks completely different, it looks like intentionally racist mockery of BLM and it can’t possibly be a well intentioned attempt to support BLM. Unless you are claiming the whole thing was meant to be satirical?