Julian Lewis vs Boris Johnson

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Julian Lewis vs Boris Johnson

Post by Vertigowooyay » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:57 pm

This feels like it should be a bigger deal than is being said. Julian Lewis has had the whip removed for ensuring Chris Grayling didn’t get the chairmanship of the ISC. Now he’s released a statement:
72A73ADE-A73E-4251-8C02-AB0AF4E61C23.jpeg
72A73ADE-A73E-4251-8C02-AB0AF4E61C23.jpeg (84.25 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
91074AA2-7169-4FD5-B36C-56AC62FA3C23.jpeg
91074AA2-7169-4FD5-B36C-56AC62FA3C23.jpeg (92.36 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
So a defined democratic process has been undermined by the government.

Also, the ISC has said the following:
The Committee has unanimously agreed this morning that it will publish the Report on Russia prepared by its predecessor before the house rises for the summer recess.

There will be no further comment
Can open, worms everywhere. Or at least they should be.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

Little waster
After Pie

Re: Julian Lewis vs Boris Johnson

Post by Little waster » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:26 pm

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:57 pm

So a defined democratic process has been undermined by the government AGAIN.
FTFM

I assume this is what #takingbackcontrol from out of touch, undemocratic EU apparatchiks looks like.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:41 pm

This is exactly the kind of fast-and-loose backsliding that was going on when I lived in Brazil in 2015-16. You're right to take it seriously, but at least it's good news that somebody on the committee was principled enough to say "not this time, pal".

I may sh.t on conservatism a lot, but fair's fair - the current crop of Conservatives would certainly be preferable if they were more conservative.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:34 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:41 pm
This is exactly the kind of fast-and-loose backsliding that was going on when I lived in Brazil in 2015-16. You're right to take it seriously, but at least it's good news that somebody on the committee was principled enough to say "not this time, pal".

I may sh.t on conservatism a lot, but fair's fair - the current crop of Conservatives would certainly be preferable if they were more conservative.
The major problem is the number of self-declared conservatives that are actually radical right wingers.

See the US for details.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:49 am

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:57 pm
This feels like it should be a bigger deal than is being said. Julian Lewis has had the whip removed for ensuring Chris Grayling didn’t get the chairmanship of the ISC. Now he’s released a statement:

72A73ADE-A73E-4251-8C02-AB0AF4E61C23.jpeg91074AA2-7169-4FD5-B36C-56AC62FA3C23.jpeg

So a defined democratic process has been undermined by the government.

Also, the ISC has said the following:
The Committee has unanimously agreed this morning that it will publish the Report on Russia prepared by its predecessor before the house rises for the summer recess.

There will be no further comment
Can open, worms everywhere. Or at least they should be.
That's amazing. The PM doesn't get to choose the candidate, but MPs get pressed to confirm they will vote for the PM's choice. No.10 denies they're imposing a candidate, but the eventual winner gets thrown out of the party for standing against the candidate the PM wasn't imposing.

Yes, this absolutely does feel like it should be a bigger deal than is being made of it.

Lewis comes out of this looking like a hero; the only one who displays integrity. Boris looks both corrupt and weak. Grayling looks utterly helpless; whatever is the exact opposite of the master of his fate.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:41 am

A figure of pure bathos?

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:19 am

This looks like further evidence for my theory that Grayling was actually invented by Marina Hyde and John Crace as a drunken bet on a Guardian works night out.

Really this sort of thing makes "Yes, Minister" and "The Thick of It" look more and more like documentaries...
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:59 pm

murmur wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:19 am
This looks like further evidence for my theory that Grayling was actually invented by Marina Hyde and John Crace as a drunken bet on a Guardian works night out.

Really this sort of thing makes "Yes, Minister" and "The Thick of It" look more and more like documentaries...
This sort of thing makes "Yes, Minister" and "The Thick of It" look like "The West Wing".
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:18 pm

murmur wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:19 am

The script writers of both would have rejected the Failing Grayling character as far too implausible.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:35 am

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:51 pm

Makes me glad that some of these senior politicians haven't actually matured since they were 12: anything which keeps Grayling away from any class of position of authority is A Good Thing.
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk