Huge explosion in Beirut

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
insignificant
Clardic Fug

Re: Huge explosion in Beirut

Post by insignificant » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:33 pm

Boustrophedon wrote:However I don't have access to the paper you link to. But the abstract doesn't seem to address that point
I was able to use the "Download full-text PDF" link on the right, but that might be because of my location.

I've been trying to find a paper like that for a while because I only know basic chemistry (knew it was an ammonium something explosion immediately, but complicated things like "deflagration to detonation" are new to me), but no success. Thanks.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:19 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:23 pm
Boustrophedon wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:52 am
Woodchopper wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:25 am

Ammonium nitrate is much more difficult to detonate without being mixed with fuel.

Is it? ANFO requires a detonator and a primer of dynamite or similar.
A detonator is only required if someone wants to have control over the time of the explosion. Which would be the case with a bomb or industrial use. Ammonium nitrate will also explode if its heated to a high temperature. So there have been ammonium nitrate explosions when it was burnt by an intense fire. For example, in Tianjin "An investigation found that stocks of flammable nitrocellulose - a chemical used in nail polish - had caught fire and spread to illegal stores of the fertiliser ammonium nitrate. The blasts that were triggered ripped through an industrial port area in the city, destroying buildings, shipping containers and thousands of new cars."
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-37927158
Nitrocellulose was infamous enough to make it into Terry Pratchett jokes about the Guild of Alchemists, pretty explicitly with the billiard balls.

That also seems a bad material to store near Ammonium Nitrate
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

jaap
Catbabel

Post by jaap » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:33 am

jimbob wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:19 am
Woodchopper wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:23 pm
A detonator is only required if someone wants to have control over the time of the explosion. Which would be the case with a bomb or industrial use. Ammonium nitrate will also explode if its heated to a high temperature. So there have been ammonium nitrate explosions when it was burnt by an intense fire. For example, in Tianjin "An investigation found that stocks of flammable nitrocellulose - a chemical used in nail polish - had caught fire and spread to illegal stores of the fertiliser ammonium nitrate. The blasts that were triggered ripped through an industrial port area in the city, destroying buildings, shipping containers and thousands of new cars."
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-37927158
Nitrocellulose was infamous enough to make it into Terry Pratchett jokes about the Guild of Alchemists, pretty explicitly with the billiard balls.

That also seems a bad material to store near Ammonium Nitrate
Magicians use "Flash paper", thin paper that burns up in a flash without leaving any ashes. That is a very flammable form of nitrocellulose. It is usually stored wet, and only dried out before use. I've heard horror stories of magicians losing or forgetting a packet of flash paper or flash string, only for it to slowly dry out and become dangerous.

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:20 pm

jaap wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:33 am

Magicians use "Flash paper", thin paper that burns up in a flash without leaving any ashes. That is a very flammable form of nitrocellulose. It is usually stored wet, and only dried out before use. I've heard horror stories of magicians losing or forgetting a packet of flash paper or flash string, only for it to slowly dry out and become dangerous.
As with all things it depends. Nitrocellulose lacquer is very flammable and silly to store around potential explosives, but as a dried lacquer it is quite stable as for one thing it is not as nitrated as the nitrocellulose used for propellant or flash paper.

Highly nitrated cellulose is stable as long as all traces of the nitrating acids are removed. This was found out the hard way in the early days of smokeless propellant. One can imagine that in the olden days magicians perhaps making their own flash paper, might not be quite so diligent. Modern magic flash paper can be stored dry quite safely.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

TAFKAsoveda
Clardic Fug

Post by TAFKAsoveda » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:04 pm

Boustrophedon wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:20 pm
jaap wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:33 am

As with all things it depends. Nitrocellulose lacquer is very flammable and silly to store around potential explosives, but as a dried lacquer it is quite stable as for one thing it is not as nitrated as the nitrocellulose used for propellant or flash paper.

Highly nitrated cellulose is stable as long as all traces of the nitrating acids are removed. This was found out the hard way in the early days of smokeless propellant. One can imagine that in the olden days magicians perhaps making their own flash paper, might not be quite so diligent. Modern magic flash paper can be stored dry quite safely.
This reminds me that I need to check my magic drawer for the small flash pads I had in there!

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:12 am

Human Rights Watch have put out a report on the explosion, implicating many senior officials. Their press release is here, a twitter thread of the highlights is here and the report itself is here. They are calling on the UN to mandate an investigation.
“The evidence overwhelmingly shows that the August 2020 explosion in Beirut’s port was caused by the actions and omissions of senior Lebanese officials who failed to accurately communicate the dangers posed by the ammonium nitrate, knowingly stored the material in unsafe conditions, and failed to protect the public,” said Lama Fakih, crisis and conflict director at Human Rights Watch...

The evidence to date raises questions regarding whether the ammonium nitrate was intended for Mozambique, as the Rhosus‘s shipping documents stated, or whether Beirut was the intended destination. The evidence currently available also indicates that multiple Lebanese authorities were, at a minimum, criminally negligent under Lebanese law in their handling of the cargo, creating an unreasonable risk to life, Human Rights Watch said.
it's okay to say "I don't know"