fake twitter identity

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Stephanie
Stummy Beige

fake twitter identity

Post by Stephanie » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:07 am

It appears the founder of MeTooSTEM faked a twitter account where she was pretending to be an indigenous professor, who she then killed off with covid.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/04/styl ... -hoax.html

Every time I read something like this, I feel exhausted. I have enough trouble keeping up with the accounts I manage for work purposes, let alone faking an entire identity like that. Why do people do this sh.t?
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Re: fake twitter identity

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:27 am

Stephanie wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:07 am
Every time I read something like this, I feel exhausted. I have enough trouble keeping up with the accounts I manage for work purposes, let alone faking an entire identity like that. Why do people do this sh.t?
It looks like McLaughlin used the fake account to boost her own reputation, and McLaughlin appears to have made a lot of money through her activities. If you look t it as a full time job then it makes sense, and McLaughlin may have created may other fake accounts to promote herself.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:16 am

Sure, but like just the level of effort needed to have successfully gotten away with it for that many years makes me tired.
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

Ijon Tichy
Navel Tan

Post by Ijon Tichy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:32 am

If you're into the whole podcast thing, Blocked and Reported have a good show about this appalling case.

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:05 pm

How strange. It looks like a cross between having an imaginary friend and inventing an alter-ego who can tick more sympathy-earning boxes than yourself.