Stonehaven train crash

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Re: Stonehaven train crash

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:17 pm

shpalman wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:12 pm
You just need something which runs on the rails ahead of the train by a bit more than the safe stopping distance.
I think "just" is doing quite a lot of work there ;)

Thanks for the extra explanations, EPD. Interesting stuff.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:27 pm

It's pretty simple. It's just a long pole with a little trolley in front.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:40 pm

plodder wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:27 pm
Safe stopping distances for trains can be quite long, though, especially when they're going fast.

I'm not sure it's feasible to put poles hundreds or thousands of metres long on the front of every train, or to slow them all down to more pole-appropriate speeds.

There are loads of trains all the time. I was trying to think of a network-level surveillance mechanism because that seems more practical. There must at least be ways to remotely detect sudden subsidence that could be retrofitted in vulnerable places?

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:51 pm

plodder wrote:
This is actually what's done for Arctic/Antarctic traverses to avoid crevasses. 10m boom on the front of a tractor, with ground/snow penetrating radar. Usually supported on a "sled" which is actually a truck inner tube.

But that's for going at 10mph in a caterpillar tracked vehicle. You still only get a second to hit the brakes if a crevasse is detected.

Matatouille
Fuzzable

Post by Matatouille » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:17 pm

How about we tow the UK to the equator, get the Brexit dividend to pay for it, and lob a geostationary radar satellite up to monitor the identified trouble spots every few seconds? Or we can add radar modules as well to all of the the Galileo replacement internet sats, and leave the UK where it is.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:30 pm

shpalman wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:12 pm
You just need something which runs on the rails ahead of the train by a bit more than the safe stopping distance.
This was actually done in the Victorian era for the royal train, generally an express engine running light. There's a preserved Caledonian 4-2-2 that was built for an exhibition that got some use for this, as it was fast, but with only one drive axle, it couldn't actually pull very much without comical amounts of wheelslip.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:32 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:40 pm
plodder wrote:
Safe stopping distances for trains can be quite long, though, especially when they're going fast.

I'm not sure it's feasible to put poles hundreds or thousands of metres long on the front of every train, or to slow them all down to more pole-appropriate speeds.

There are loads of trains all the time. I was trying to think of a network-level surveillance mechanism because that seems more practical. There must at least be ways to remotely detect sudden subsidence that could be retrofitted in vulnerable places?
There's already ways of detecting earth movements, yeah. Check out the kind of thing used to check if volcanos are starting to get ideas.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:43 pm

I did think of seismometers, but they'll also pick up trains from quite a distance away so you'd have to do something clever with the signal processing. My university had to move its seismology equipment when they built a new car park nearby. A very very small earth movement could still be very very problematic if it happens to coincide with a track.

They also wouldn't tell you if the problem was actually on the track or merely nearby.

That's why I was wondering about using something reflecting track integrity, such as conductivity, but EPD' response suggests that that wouldn't be straightforward either.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:46 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:43 pm
I did think of seismometers, but they'll also pick up trains from quite a distance away so you'd have to do something clever with the signal processing. My university had to move its seismology equipment when they built a new car park nearby. A very very small earth movement could still be very very problematic if it happens to coincide with a track.

They also wouldn't tell you if the problem was actually on the track or merely nearby.

That's why I was wondering about using something reflecting track integrity, such as conductivity, but EPD' response suggests that that wouldn't be straightforward either.
Wasn't meaning seismometers, sorry. Was thinking the measurement of bulging caused by magma movements, which can by tilt sensors, or by satellite.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:08 am

Maybe it's not the track that needs monitoring, but the hill next to the track. Model at risk areas and jut put poles with prisms up that get regular laser surveys?

They do this with buildings when they tunnel underneath.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:38 am

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:43 am

plodder wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:08 am
Maybe it's not the track that needs monitoring, but the hill next to the track. Model at risk areas and jut put poles with prisms up that get regular laser surveys?

They do this with buildings when they tunnel underneath.
Yeah, there's all sorts, both at the immediate lineside and on the slope itself. I'm certain that they'll definitely try to spend money on lasers if someone gives them that chance.
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:45 pm

Agreed. Lasers still haven't gone out of fashion. They're incredibly resilient, a bit like techno or drum n bass.