Railways

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
monkey
Dorkwood

Re: Railways

Post by monkey » Tue May 17, 2022 11:00 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 10:27 pm
Queen learns how to use an oyster card, and now her line is officially open!
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-61465207
They made her pay on her own line? TfL must be short of money.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed May 18, 2022 12:09 am

monkey wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 11:00 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 10:27 pm
Queen learns how to use an oyster card, and now her line is officially open!
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-61465207
They made her pay on her own line? TfL must be short of money.
Judging by the quality of that plaque I reckon so, yeah.
Tree dwellers leaping out the boughs shouting «Get the paper»
Trunk hugging rebels chucking petals at a detonator

TimW
Snowbonk

Post by TimW » Wed May 18, 2022 8:28 am

Well, they have just spent a squillion pounds on a line they don't need any more.

IvanV
Dorkwood

Post by IvanV » Wed May 18, 2022 9:26 am

TimW wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 8:28 am
Well, they have just spent a squillion pounds on a line they don't need any more.
Obviously the shiny over-specified over-extravagantly-fitted-out cost-more-to-build-than-it-would-in-most-other-countries Elizabeth Line gets to run. But questions arise as to whether capacity might be withdrawn elsewhere, given a shortage of money to carry out all the necessary maintenance and renewals of the entire system. As this recent article at London Reconnections sets out, such closures in practice rarely save as much money as you might hope they would. In part because you need to continue some serious kind of maintenance if you intend ever to bring them back into service, without the thing having to be essentially rebuilt at a later date.

If anyone were to think about closing something to save money, then, although there has been no official mention, nevertheless the far-too-obvious direction to move our eyes is at the Bakerloo LIne. Because Crossrail relieves the busy section from Paddington to Oxford Circus. Crossrail's Bond St station is actually half way between Bond St and Oxford Circus, and those two stations are not very far apart anyway. So probably the Bakerloo Line will experience a material reduction in traffic, especially once Bond St opens - Bond St's opening has been delayed beyond 24 May as it seems to be not quite ready yet. And because the Bakerloo Line trains are nigh on 50 years old, and apparently showing signs of needing fixing. And so it will either need a new set of trains before very long, or another thorough refurbishment of the old ones to keep the line open. But, as the article sets out, you'd have to close the entire line to save very much money.

As someone who uses Marylebone Stn a great deal, served only by the Bakerloo Line, I'm obviously looking for every possible excuse as to why this is a Very Bad Idea. Even though mostly I prefer to use a bicycle to get around locally in central London.

nekomatic
Catbabel

Post by nekomatic » Wed May 18, 2022 10:13 pm

If every ex-Londoner still has ‘their’ Tube line then mine is the Bakerloo. I thought there were plans for a south-eastern extension?
Move-a… side, and let the mango through… let the mango through

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Thu May 19, 2022 10:26 am

nekomatic wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 10:13 pm
If every ex-Londoner still has ‘their’ Tube line then mine is the Bakerloo. I thought there were plans for a south-eastern extension?
In about 2040 IIRC
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu May 19, 2022 10:36 am

DfT investment strategy is f.cked at the moment, I wouldn't bank on anything happening unless it's in law that it has to and the money has been handed over.
They loved each other and believed they loved mankind, they fought each other and believed they fought the world.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:52 pm

Bavaria train crash: At least four killed
At least four people were killed and about 30 injured when a train derailed in Germany's south-eastern state of Bavaria, police say.

The train, which was carrying many students, was heading to Munich when three carriages came off the tracks near Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

Stefan Sonntag, a spokesperson for the German federal police, told reporters that 15 of the injured were in serious condition at a local hospital.
In a separate development, a carriage on an Italian high-speed train travelling from Turin to Rome derailed while approaching the capital.

Local emergency officials say nobody was injured in the incident, which saw the train's back carriage come off the tracks as it neared the Serenissima tunnel in Rome.
molto tricky

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:51 am

Well, the strikes are on. Fair enough, to be honest. If I were at Network Rail and in the RMT, I would have voted to strike as well. Same for the TSSA.
They loved each other and believed they loved mankind, they fought each other and believed they fought the world.

wilsontown
Clardic Fug

Post by wilsontown » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:25 am

Assuming the strikes are going ahead (the link doesn't say so but I assume you'd know more than I do about this), I won't bother even attempting to get to the office.
"All models are wrong but some are useful" - George Box

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:15 pm

Happy International Level Crossing Awareness Day today, everyone.

Edit: wondered at first if they'd simply made that up, but it does seem to be a thing, and something worth highlighting: https://ilcad.org/

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:50 am

Any views on the rail strikes? I've made mine clear up there ^

IvanV
Dorkwood

Post by IvanV » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:40 am

El Pollo Diablo wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:51 am
If I were at Network Rail and in the RMT, I would have voted to strike as well. Same for the TSSA.
From the individual interest of the railway worker, it makes a lot of sense.

I saw Lynch on Newsnight last night. For all the rude things the press say about him, he's really rather audience-friendly. Unlike Bob Crow, who made little attempt to be anything other than a hate figure for most rail customers. Lynch spoke a lot about the difficult and deserving situation of many other workers in the economy, which placed what he was doing in context, I felt. He only represents railway workers, but it was a collective interest on behalf of many public sector and lower-paid workers that he wished to generate. I can sympathise with that, as I also sympathise with people whose important journeys over the next few days are made very difficult. Overall, Lynch came over as reasonable in comparison with the government spokesman he was put up against, who could only mouth platitudes.

Lynch was entirely transparent that the median salary of his members is £31k. Which is pretty much exactly the same of the median full-time salary of workers in the UK. So 50% of RMT's members are better paid than half of the UK's full time workers. Given that we are all collectively poorer because of the economic situation, some people might suggest that those higher wage workers should include some of the people who take more of the pain, so that those who are in the other 50% can take less of it.

As the Economist said this week, one does worry about the motivation of unions, like the RMT, who seem to have a lot of time and affection for foreign dictators, an obsession their overseas counterparts do not seem to share or understand. But, as far as the Economist could tell, RMT's actions seemed to be about the interests of their members, and not about promoting a Bolshevik revolution. Unlike certain union leaders of the past we might mention.

It is common to say that the RMT is the most effective union, on behalf of its members. But I think BECTU that represents the greater part of the more skilled power sector workers is more effective. So effective you don't even hear about it.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:25 pm

IvanV wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:40 am

As the Economist said this week, one does worry about the motivation of unions, like the RMT, who seem to have a lot of time and affection for foreign dictators, an obsession their overseas counterparts do not seem to share or understand. But, as far as the Economist could tell, RMT's actions seemed to be about the interests of their members, and not about promoting a Bolshevik revolution. Unlike certain union leaders of the past we might mention.

By "motivation of unions" do they mean motivations of the leadership, or motivations of the members? It may be possible to portray Mr Lynch as a Commie mutant traitor revolutionary but if they're trying to cast the entire membership in that light then the country has problems way beyond a few days without trains.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

IvanV
Dorkwood

Post by IvanV » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:22 pm

JQH wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:25 pm
IvanV wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:40 am
By "motivation of unions" do they mean motivations of the leadership, or motivations of the members? It may be possible to portray Mr Lynch as a Commie mutant traitor revolutionary but if they're trying to cast the entire membership in that light then the country has problems way beyond a few days without trains.
The Economist wasn't painting it as a reflection of the views of the members. Rather they were suggesting that the members are happy with the union's practical actions, so perhaps they don't care about the rest that seems of little practical effect. It's to most of the rest of us that it seems worrying.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:32 pm

I'd like to see the rest of UK workers get organised, tbh. They need it.

I was commuting with Southern during all the kerfuffle over driver-operated doors and didn't begrudge them even though it was a PITA.
Tree dwellers leaping out the boughs shouting «Get the paper»
Trunk hugging rebels chucking petals at a detonator