Trump tax returns

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
bmforre
Snowbonk

Trump tax returns

Post by bmforre » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:58 am

Today
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html
President Trump asked the Supreme Court on Thursday to stop a prosecutor’s investigation of his personal finances, a bold assertion of presidential power that seeks a landmark decision from the nation’s highest court.

The filing by the president’s private lawyers represents a historic moment that will test the court and highlights the Constitution’s separation-of-powers design. It also marks a new phase in the investigations that have dogged Trump throughout his presidency and have culminated in an impeachment inquiry.
The eagerness Trump shows to keep his tax returns covered makes me curious. What is it he does not want us to see?

lpm
Junior Mod

Re: Trump tax returns

Post by lpm » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:10 am

He doesn't want people to see:

Money launderer
Tax frauds
Bank frauds
Lack of wealth

Few people seem to know we've already seen some of his tax returns - New York state ones for his properties. They showed:

Tax frauds
and/or
Bank frauds
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:10 am

Here's a thing. If his tax returns show this, why hasn't the IRS prosecuted him?

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:36 am

plodder wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:10 am
Here's a thing. If his tax returns show this, why hasn't the IRS prosecuted him?
The auditing arm of the IRS has been constantly cut in size for the past decade or so, and had also been ordered to focus on smaller cases.

I think it also relies on the DoJ for prosecutions, and that's under the control of the DAs and the AG, all appointed by Trump.

username
Clardic Fug

Post by username » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:28 am

plodder wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:10 am
Statutes of limitation are a big factor. It's extremely hard to prosecute tax stuff that's over 5 years old, even for the New York DA and AG.
The half-truths, repeated, authenticated themselves.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:26 pm

Statutes of limitation seem like an incredibly stupid idea, especially when they're that short. Who are they intended to benefit, other than fortunate criminals?
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

username
Clardic Fug

Post by username » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:36 pm

The purpose and effect of statutes of limitations are to protect defendants. There are three reasons for their enactment:[7]

A plaintiff with a valid cause of action should pursue it with reasonable diligence.
By the time a stale claim is litigated, a defendant might have lost evidence necessary to disprove the claim.
Litigation of a long-dormant claim may result in more cruelty than justice.
From Wikipedia.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:31 pm

username wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:36 pm
The purpose and effect of statutes of limitations are to protect defendants. There are three reasons for their enactment:[7]

A plaintiff with a valid cause of action should pursue it with reasonable diligence.
By the time a stale claim is litigated, a defendant might have lost evidence necessary to disprove the claim.
From Wikipedia.
Thanks. I can see it making sense for some kinds of crimes and places, e.g. theft in Classical Athens, but in the modern era data storage for stuff like tax records means most documents necessary are already stored for much longer than 5 years.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

username
Clardic Fug

Post by username » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:22 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:31 pm
username wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:36 pm

From Wikipedia.
Thanks. I can see it making sense for some kinds of crimes and places, e.g. theft in Classical Athens, but in the modern era data storage for stuff like tax records means most documents necessary are already stored for much longer than 5 years.
True to an extent; liberal thought tends towards the position that it's better guilty go free occasionally rather than innocents get convicted. The authoritarian position tends towards prosecution with as few fetters as possible. The common issue with the latter is capricious prosecution; once someone rises to a position wealth or influence they can become a target for all sorts of attention. It is with good reason people have qualms about governmental data retention :)

I don't remember a great deal about limitations in English law, iirc tax and most contracts have a 6 year limit, defamation 1. I don't think there are any for criminal stuff (although there used to be a year-and-a-day rule wrt some homicide)

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:44 pm

The homicide thing is not a statute of limitations. It was (is?) determining whether an attack that seriously injures someone was a criminal killing or GBH, as far as I understand. If they died outside that time, it wasn't murder or manslaughter.

So a limit for a window of the effect rather than the crime.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

username
Clardic Fug

Post by username » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:05 pm

jimbob wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:44 pm
The homicide thing is not a statute of limitations. It was (is?) determining whether an attack that seriously injures someone was a criminal killing or GBH, as far as I understand. If they died outside that time, it wasn't murder or manslaughter.

So a limit for a window of the effect rather than the crime.
Heh, I guess, although a different charge is available if there's a body :)

Having glanced at the wiki page I see there are other criminal law limitations in English procedure, albeit for mostly minor stuff, but England stands out in the EU on this, most other countries do have them.

plebian

Post by plebian » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:52 am

Official records maybe, but as the quote states, the defendants may have mitigating evidence that explains the records but which they dispose of through normal tidying exercises.

Do you have all your payslips for the last 10years and p60s? HMRC say you didn't pay tax in 2010 on earnings, I presume you have the paperwork to prove that you did.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:00 pm

plebian wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:52 am
Official records maybe, but as the quote states, the defendants may have mitigating evidence that explains the records but which they dispose of through normal tidying exercises.

Do you have all your payslips for the last 10years and p60s? HMRC say you didn't pay tax in 2010 on earnings, I presume you have the paperwork to prove that you did.
Yes.

I have all my payslips going back to 2005, on paper. I also have all my payslips I've ever received in this country, from 2011 on, but those are all electronic, and cost nothing to store.

I also have all my tax returns, ever.

The statute of limitations strikes me as most important for assaults, criminal damage, etc. that result from arguments and fights, where witness evidence of what happened at the time is subject to memories fading and changing, particularly around mitigating circumstances, whether Han shot first, etc.

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:42 pm

Given the argument that Statutes of Limitation exist to encourage prosecutors to get on with it, would it be better for the clock to start from the moment when evidence of a crime comes to light? So say Trump's tax returns show evidence of bank fraud, the window for prosecution should start from the day they are released to the Feds, rather than when it actually happened..

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:51 pm

The UK Limitations Acts operate on the basis that where there has been fraud or concealment, the time will not run until the fraud, concealment or mistake is discovered (or could with reasonable diligence be discovered).
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:00 pm

Ah, good, so they've thought of that already. Anyone know if it's the same for the US?

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:42 am

plebian wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:52 am

No, but my old employers do, to prove they paid the PAYE, which is how the vast majority of UK workers pay tax.
There's a big difference between some random punter & a business that the owner says is worth billions (and which undoubtedly has hundreds of millions in cashflow).

username
Clardic Fug

Post by username » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:07 pm

AMS wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:00 pm
Ah, good, so they've thought of that already. Anyone know if it's the same for the US?
It varies by state and subject.

username
Clardic Fug

Post by username » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:24 pm

Wrt document storage, it's not uncommon for people to clear out old documents, nor is it uncommon for enterprises to go out of business which puts stored data out of reach (I think the uk rate is something between .5 and 1% per year).

As usual, predicating laws for large populations based on rare edge cases risks the creation of poor jurisprudence; hard cases make bad law.

How hard the Trump case is is not very well known to me, I haven't looked at the specifics closely.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:22 pm

username wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:24 pm
Wrt document storage, it's not uncommon for people to clear out old documents, nor is it uncommon for enterprises to go out of business which puts stored data out of reach (I think the uk rate is something between .5 and 1% per year).
In my case, it'd need Google, the USDA _and_ the Smithsonian Institution to go out of business for me to lose my tax records. At which point I'm not sure I'd be that concerned about the IRS being able to come after me. ;)

But obviously I'm not someone that the SoL is aimed at.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:56 pm

username wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:24 pm

As usual, predicating laws for large populations based on rare edge cases risks the creation of poor jurisprudence; hard cases make bad law.

How hard the Trump case is is not very well known to me, I haven't looked at the specifics closely.
Um, if I had a business that had gone out of business, I'd make damn sure I kept the tax & other financial paperwork, since such things can bite one on the arse spectacularly. Of course, while Trump has gone bust repeatedly, he keeps going & there's no actual suggestion that he has lost his records, so it's a total irrelevance, especially since I understand he was benefiting in a tax way from having gone bust years ago, so he really must have all his records.
Apparently there's no statue of limitations for seeking back-taxes though, so while he might stay out of jail (unless he did any dodgy tax-based stuff in the last 3-6 years, the federal statue of limitations for tax fraud), he might also go broke from having to pay his back taxes over decades.
It's 5 years for money laundering & for bank fraud it's 10 years.
The limitations is when to charge. Then they can have up to 9 further months if they've issued the charge.
I keep seeing in google searches that there's no statue of limitations on civil claims arising from fraud, so a defrauded bank from whom he obtained money by falsely inflating his wealth can claim it back any time.

username
Clardic Fug

Post by username » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:41 pm

My point wrt businesses going out of business was within the frame of reference of other people (employees are the people I was thinking about specifically) getting the records, not the owner or specifically Trump.

Of my previous employers I have worked for a newspaper, a couple of bicycle shops, a cafe, a publisher, a computer services company, a pre-press bureau, a school, and a motorsports company all of whom are no longer trading and have been wound up in one way or another (this does not include many other enterprises for whom I have worked as a consultant that I have no idea at all about their status). Obtaining paperwork of any sort from any of these organisations would be nigh on impossible.

As I said wrt Trump, I'm not aware of the specifics of allegations made, so I'm making no comment on how hard identifying alleged crimes would be. I'd welcome links to reliable sources, but from the bits I've read about why he has not been prosecuted to date, the overarching commentary could be summed up as it's complicated.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:29 am

It's trivial easy to have one rule for businesses and another for employees. Equally trivial to distinguish between real employees like you and fake employees who really own the company but who pay themselves a nominal salary for tax purposes.
There may be good reasons for having the statute of limitations as it is, but I suspect that the real reasons are political interference from corrupt US politicians (surely an oxymoron) working for some dodgy company rather than their constituents.

Gentleman Jim
Catbabel

Post by Gentleman Jim » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:36 am

tom p wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:29 am
corrupt US politicians (surely an oxymoron) working for some dodgy company rather than their constituents.
Oxymoron or tautology?

<looks around to return pedant hat to it's rightful owner>
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:05 am

Gentleman Jim wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:36 am
tom p wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:29 am
corrupt US politicians (surely an oxymoron) working for some dodgy company rather than their constituents.
Oxymoron or tautology?

<looks around to return pedant hat to it's rightful owner>
FFS. Yes, obviously that.
I am so tired that I am making ridiculous dumb errors like that. What a Wally.