Soldiers open fire on protesters in Lagos

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
jdc
Hilda Ogden

Soldiers open fire on protesters in Lagos

Post by jdc » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:40 pm

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/10/ ... protesters
Soldiers have opened fire on demonstrators gathered at a protest site in Lagos that has been the epicentre of widespread rallies against police brutality in Nigeria, according to several witnesses.

Amnesty International also said in a statement on Tuesday it had received “credible but disturbing evidence of excessive use of force occasioning deaths of protesters at Lekki toll gate in Lagos”, adding that it was investigating “the killings”.

Three witnesses told Reuters News Agency that the soldiers fired at the protesters who had gathered in the Lekki district of Nigeria’s largest city in defiance of an indefinite curfew imposed hours earlier by the authorities. Hundreds of people were at the site at the time of the shooting, which witnesses said took place around 7pm (18:00 GMT).

Martin_B
After Pie

Re: Soldiers open fire on protesters in Lagos

Post by Martin_B » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:37 am

Possibly the saddest thing about this is that I'm not surprised by this in the least. Nigeria is not a pleasant place to live if you aren't part of the ruling classes, which is such as shame as it's a beautiful country (well, those parts not massively contaminated by oil or stripped bare for mining).
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"