Free school meals bill defeated - the final straw

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Stephanie
After Pie

Re: Free school meals bill defeated - the final straw

Post by Stephanie » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:35 pm

mediocrity511 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:12 pm
I see the book club as fairly apolitical, free school meals is weirdly politicised in our country by contrast. I've never yet heard Dolly Parton be criticised for giving children free books, so it would be odd for it to be an issue when someone else does it.

Also, we were recipients of the Dolly Parton books with miniocrity and some of them would probably invoke the wrath of the right wing culture war loons for their diversity and inclusiveness if they knew.
I was actually thinking about Dolly Parton - I knew she had done a reading scheme too.
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

discovolante
After Pie

Post by discovolante » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:44 pm

Yeah, thanks Stephanie, Medi and Fishnut for articulating what I couldn't...Marcus Rashford has been pretty explicit that his focus is on helping children, not party politics or even politics especially. I mean I'm sure he has his opinions but I think he's right to keep out of it and let the dirty political stuff happen a few steps removed from him. We've got a real problem in this country of wanting to drag other people down so I respect that he's trying to inspire and support people rather than turn it into a battle. And also, on a slightly separate note, it's not as if philanthropy in footballers is an entirely new concept.
don't get any big ideas, they're not gonna happen

Fishnut
Catbabel

Post by Fishnut » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:40 pm

This is a good piece on the book club. The TL:DR is that reading rates are decreasing among British children, book ownership and reading for pleasure are important for raising these rates, as is having books where you can see yourself represented. It also points out that campaigners have been pushing for things like this for decades and that Rashford is raising the profile of this work rather than creating something completely new.