DWP spends £200k defending Universal Credit challenge

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
discovolante
Stummy Beige

DWP spends £200k defending Universal Credit challenge

Post by discovolante » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:08 am

Morning

I dithered over whether to just stick this link in the free school meals thread as a 'by the way' but I suppose it deserves its own thread. Apologies for the extremely dry loser-length post.

DWP spent nearly £200,000 fighting single mothers over Universal Credit change
The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) spent nearly £200,000 fighting an unsuccessful legal battle against four single mothers over Universal Credit rules that it is now changing, Inside Housing can reveal.

In June, the Court of Appeal ruled that Universal Credit payment period regulations that caused some working claimants’ benefit awards to fluctuate wildly from month to month were “irrational” and “unlawful”.

It came after the government attempted to overturn a January 2019 ruling by the High Court over the “non-banking day salary shift” issue.

Effectively, the bug meant that claimants were treated as having earned double if they received two pay cheques in the same monthly Universal Credit assessment period and nothing if they did not get paid the next month.

During the hearing, the court heard that around 85,000 people are affected, although the government says the number is closer to 1,500.

The case was brought forward by four working single mothers, who claimed that the rules had cost them hundreds of pounds a year and caused them to suffer severe cash flow problems.

In response to a Freedom of Information Act request from Inside Housing, the DWP said it spent £188,190.82 fighting the cases.

That includes £28,426.02 invoiced by the Government Legal Department to defend the initial challenge and another £31,764.80 for the appeal.

The government was also ordered to pay the mothers’ legal costs following the ruling – amounting to £78,000 in the first instance and a further £50,000 following its decision to appeal.

Labour called the figures “a disgrace”.

Ministers agreed to amend Universal Credit regulations to resolve the issue shortly after the Court of Appeal judgement was handed down.

Legislation effecting the changes was published last week and is due to come into effect on 16 November.

Welfare delivery minister Will Quince said in a response to a written question from Labour MP Stephen Timms that the new regulations will “reallocate a payment of earnings reported via the Real Time Information service to a different Universal Credit assessment period” where needed.

Shadow work and pensions secretary Jonathan Reynolds said: “It is a disgrace that the government have spent nearly £200,000 of taxpayers’ money battling four single mums in the Court of Appeal.

“The fact that these women had to take the government to court, while they were suffering financial hardship, to correct an obvious problem with the system is extremely worrying.”

A DWP spokesperson said: “This regulation has now been amended in line with the court’s decision.”
The court judgment is here by the way: https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2020/778.html

So the bill for the government's own costs is £60,190.82 and the 4 claimants' costs came to £128,000. So in fairness the government spent a lot less on its own costs for a case it kept losing to stop single mothers getting benefits, but those were the costs for four people and while there was no doubt lots of overlap with the work it would still have involved advising them all separately, taking instructions from them all separately, etc etc.

Also, I'm speculating a fair bit here but another thing is that the claimants were presumably funded by legal aid, but the costs claimed back from the government by the legal representatives will be at 'inter partes' rates i.e. something around the solicitor guideline rates that are used by the courts to assess costs in any court proceedings, not just legal aid ones.

One of the claimants worked in York, so I'll use York rates as an example (although the lawyers might have tried to claim London rates). This is really, really rough - there will probably have been people with various levels of experience working on the cases, the fees will include lots of barristers' fees and other outlays like court fees etc, so take these figures with an absolutely massive pinch of salt, it's just to illustrate (assuming I'm not talking out of my arse about the whole thing).

The guideline rates are here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/solicitors- ... urly-rates

So York is 'National Grade 2'. Given this was a pretty significant case I'll assume the costs were incurred by a solicitor with over 8 years' experience so that's £201 per hour.

Assuming the £128,000 includes VAT, that's about £106,000, or about 528 hours' work.

Legal aid rates are a bit all over the place, here are the fees regulations: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/201 ... view=plain
So e.g. you can get £6.75 for a 'routine' letter and £3.74 for a 'routine' phone call. The general hourly rate for preparation and attendance outside of London (not including court attendance) in the higher courts is £67.50 per hour. At 528 hours' work that comes to £35,640 plus VAT = £42,768.

So if the claimants hadn't won this case, their legal costs would (using this very rough and inaccurate outline) have come to about £42,768 for four people, as they would have only been able to claim the legal aid rates from the Legal Aid Agency and not the 'inter partes' rates. Compared to the government costs of £60,190.82.

Sorry another thing I should say is that you can claim 'uplifts' on those fees, up to about 50% I think, for bits of work that require exceptional urgency, exceptional skill etc. So just to add to the roughness...

Also just to point out this bit of the fees rules for legal aid (which isn't in the link to the regs as it's an amendment that hasn't been added yet even though it's been in place since 2018):
Regulation 5A.—
(1) Where an application for judicial review is issued, the Lord Chancellor must not pay remuneration for civil legal services consisting of making that application unless—

(a) the court gives permission to bring judicial review proceedings;

(b) the court neither refuses nor gives permission to bring judicial review proceedings and the Lord Chancellor considers that it is reasonable to pay remuneration in the circumstances of the case, taking into account, in particular—
(i) the reason why the provider did not obtain a costs order or costs agreement in favour of the legally aided person;
(ii) the extent to which, and the reason why, the legally aided person obtained the outcome sought in the proceedings, and
(iii) the strength of the application for permission at the time it was filed, based on the law and on the facts which the provider knew or ought to have known at that time;

(c) the defendant withdraws the decision to which the application for judicial review relates and the withdrawal results in the court—
(i) refusing permission to bring judicial review proceedings, or
(ii) neither refusing nor giving permission;

(d) the court orders an oral hearing to consider—
(i) whether to give permission to bring judicial review proceedings;
(ii) whether to give permission to bring a relevant appeal, or
(iii) a relevant appeal, or

(e) the court orders a rolled-up hearing.
This basically means that if you bring judicial review proceedings but 'settle' the case with the other side before the court gives permission (you have to get 'permission' to bring judicial review proceedings before the court will sit and hear the whole case) then the government decides whether to pay you at all for all of the work you've done. And you don't get paid at all if you're refused permission. Normally for legal aid work, you apply for legal aid, set out the merits of the case in the application and wait for the Legal Aid Agency to say whether they will pay you for the work, and if they say yes you go on and do it and you get paid (at legal aid rates if the other side doesn't get ordered/agree to pay your costs). But these rules mean that they can say yes but unless you win outright, you might still not get paid. Judicial review cases can be hard to win and often include cases like this benefits one, homeless people etc. So that's not really ideal.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Re: DWP spends £200k defending Universal Credit challenge

Post by Grumble » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:18 am

Thank you Disco. Has this made it to the mainstream press at all? It certainly should do.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:22 am

No idea, it may do over the next couple of days I suppose but it's a new story this morning.

This is something I've wondered about a lot, there should be a lot more of these types of FOIs imo.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:54 am

Imagine spending £200k, or even £60k, defending something that is very obviously a bug, very obviously 100% their fault, and very obviously harming vulnerable people.

What a load of shitheads.

Presumably 'activist lawyers' are to blame, rather than their own incompetence and cruelty.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:13 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:54 am
Imagine spending £200k, or even £60k, defending something that is very obviously a bug, very obviously 100% their fault, and very obviously harming vulnerable people.

What a load of shitheads.

Presumably 'activist lawyers' are to blame, rather than their own incompetence and cruelty.
Yeah it's f.cking stupid.

The new regulations that come into force next month are here: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1138/made

I might be misreading them but I think they might actually be doing what it seemed like they were going to do. The case in the OP only relates to people who get paid calendar monthly. There are loads of people who get paid weekly or 4-weekly and so on who run into the same problem (if UC is assessed monthly and you get paid weekly/4-weekly you can easily see how this might happen) but as far as I can see from the regulations the government is literally only changing the law for people who get paid monthly. Also it's a 'may' not a 'must'. Hm.
(6) Where a person is engaged in an employment where they are paid on a regular monthly basis and more than one payment in relation to that employment is reported in the same assessment period, the Secretary of State may, for the purposes of maintaining a regular pattern, determine that one of those payments is to be treated as employed earnings in respect of a different assessment period.
I have to admit I never read the full judgment in detail so I'm not sure if the rationale behind the decision would be applicable to other payment patterns, but regardless it seems extremely mean-spirited. There might be some way of reading the rest of the regulation that I haven't picked up on though.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:31 pm

This is a separate story but a continuation of the 'DWP are callous a..eholes who would prefer to spend a fuckton of money preventing people from getting the benefits they are owed rather than just doing their job and paying the benefits in the first place".

From The Independent, DWP admits it has wrongly refused disabled people benefits at record rate as cost to taxpayers soars.

Some figures gleaned from the article:
- almost 80,000 Personal Independent Payments (Pip) were wrongly rejected and have been overturned in reviews last year.

- The cost of reviews has increased by 26% in the last 2 years.

- The number of reviews carried out has decreased by 23% in the last 2 years.

- Three years ago, 22% of appeals were successful. Last year, 43% were successful.

- 1 in 5 of the 905,870 (around 181,000) initial Pip decisions made last year went to mandatory reconsideration. 1 in 13 of all initial decisions were overturned at that stage. Of those who were unsuccessful at that stage and went to court 56% were overturned by the DWP before reaching court, and 69% of those that went to court were overturned.

The DWP isn't fit for service. It humiliates people, it causes unnecessary stress and it seems to function under the belief that if it makes things as difficult as possible for those using its services they'll eventually give up and go away.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:16 am

Fishnut wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:31 pm
This is a separate story but a continuation of the 'DWP are callous a..eholes who would prefer to spend a fuckton of money preventing people from getting the benefits they are owed rather than just doing their job and paying the benefits in the first place".

From The Independent, DWP admits it has wrongly refused disabled people benefits at record rate as cost to taxpayers soars.

Some figures gleaned from the article:
- almost 80,000 Personal Independent Payments (Pip) were wrongly rejected and have been overturned in reviews last year.

- The cost of reviews has increased by 26% in the last 2 years.

- The number of reviews carried out has decreased by 23% in the last 2 years.

- Three years ago, 22% of appeals were successful. Last year, 43% were successful.

- 1 in 5 of the 905,870 (around 181,000) initial Pip decisions made last year went to mandatory reconsideration. 1 in 13 of all initial decisions were overturned at that stage. Of those who were unsuccessful at that stage and went to court 56% were overturned by the DWP before reaching court, and 69% of those that went to court were overturned.

The DWP isn't fit for service. It humiliates people, it causes unnecessary stress and it seems to function under the belief that if it makes things as difficult as possible for those using its services they'll eventually give up and go away.
One of the things that has always stood out to me about the PIP and ESA application process is the way it is very deliberately designed to withhold benefits from people who are entitled to them. To qualify, one generally has to answer questions that haven't been asked. The questions have tickboxes and an option for "it varies" with enough space for a one sentence answer, yet if you don't specify details for which there are no tickboxes, you don't qualify. The excellent Benefits and Work guide mentions things like assuming that anyone who doesn't mention difficulty moving around inside their own house can walk at least two hundred and fifty metres, yet the tickboxes are for a few specific distances, or "it varies", there's no "do you have difficulty moving around inside your own house".

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:44 pm

So often you see public sector organisations engaged in wrong-headed legal defences, or even funding libel actions, as if they can't face the prospect of owning up to being wrong, or even enduring valid criticism. It's a knee-jerk saving face instinct. We think that's mainly an issue in places like China. But it's common here too.