OneOffDave
Clardic Fug

Re: EU backdoor to WhatsApp?

Post by OneOffDave » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:44 am

AMS wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:49 pm
OneOffDave wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:27 pm
The Fertiliser bomb plot chaps used an open word document on a laptop that they passed between each other in the same room and deleted each line after they had read to avoid being bugged. Obviously the rest of their security wasn't as good as they all got rolled up fairly quickly
If they were physically passing laptop around, why not just use pen and paper?
They'd type a line, pass it across, delete that line then type the next sentence and pass it back. There was never more than the one comment

A wax tablet and stylus might work or one of those plastic sheet and pointy stick "magic writing" pads is another approach. Go proper old school

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:56 am

discovolante wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:04 am
Dermot O'Logical wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:37 am
So W.H.Smith are on the alert for anyone who buys a ream of A4 and asks directions to a glazier.
As a former WH Smith employee, I can confirm that we had one full day of training twice a year regarding the identification of spies.
Ah, so that's why they ask "would you like a bar of Cadbury's chocolate for £1 with your newspaper?" It's less obvious than "There are clouds over Birmingham, but no rain is forecast".
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:43 am

Just watched the latest 24 hours in police custody where the drug smugglers were using encrypted phones by "Encro". I admit that googling Encro I am confused, obviously it wasn't end to end encrypted as it was later hacked by the French authorities at the hosting site, using malware. At the time of the arrests the police could only get what they could off the unlocked phones before they were timed out.

The phones also had a service fee of thousands per month, which is criminal. :D

The phones did look to have had good endpoint security as they were internally encrypted and wiped everything if there were attempts to break into them and all other usual processes like the GPS were disabled.

Then the drug smugglers recorded everything on their dashcams.

Now that good encryption is free and open source, just how difficult is it to write and app providing good end to end encryption with effective endpoint security for an android phone?
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

stańczyk
Buzzberry

Post by stańczyk » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:53 am

Boustrophedon wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:43 am
Now that good encryption is free and open source, just how difficult is it to write and app providing good end to end encryption with effective endpoint security for an android phone?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_(software)

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:53 am

Dermot O'Logical wrote:
George Smiley handwrote documents, one sheet of paper at a time, on a glass plate to avoid leaving impressions.
I doubt that's very effective as glass can still get very slight surface cracks not visible to the naked eye. Much more effective would be to use a thin piece of wood to support the paper and then burn it.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:54 pm

Millennie Al wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:53 am
Dermot O'Logical wrote:
George Smiley handwrote documents, one sheet of paper at a time, on a glass plate to avoid leaving impressions.
I doubt that's very effective as glass can still get very slight surface cracks not visible to the naked eye. Much more effective would be to use a thin piece of wood to support the paper and then burn it.
Just take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:28 pm

Millennie Al wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:53 am
Dermot O'Logical wrote:
Well yes it can, but probably not from a pen nib cushioned by a sheet of paper.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three