Post by Trinucleus » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:51 pm

geejaytee wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:42 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:08 pm
Imrael wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:57 pm
Well actually :)

To engage Pedant mode, Watford (town in Hertfordshire) is a fair bit south of Watford Gap (Northamptonshire). When commuting is allowed I drive past Watford Gap daily - sadly much less interesting than your idea.

</pedant>
bl..dy hell, all this time I thought Watford Gap was, like, a gap near to Watford. I realise now that I'd never even thought about what it would be a gap in.

Why yes I am from the south, how did you know?
It's quite a handy gap*, as the Roman Watling Street (the modern A5), the Grand Union Canal, the West Coast Mainline and the M1 motorway all pass through it on their way northwards: https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=4 ... pp=map.srf

*In a low range of hills
Hills? Call them hills?

Soft Southerners

noggins
Snowbonk

Re: Backbench Tory pressure groups

Post by noggins » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:11 pm

Watford can f.ck off

The North starts at Chesterfield

Or, the Thames

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:47 am

If Stuart Maconie says the North starts at Crewe, that's good enough for me !!!
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:20 am

jdc wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:07 pm
Here's one of your covid recovery group members:
Steve Baker who pushed for Brexit despite all impact assessments saying it will devastate our economy, and pushed to leave the ECHR (by repealing the Human Rights Act)...

...Is now demanding an economic impact assessment for lockdown and complaining that it violates the ECHR.
Conservative MP Steve Baker said on BBC Radio 4's Today Programme that England’s nationwide lockdown is “a major infringement on a right to a family life. I'm looking at the European Convention on Human Rights as I speak to you."
Wow that is incredibly f.cking offensive. The number of migrants the government removes from the country with a glib line about 'staying in contact via modern methods of communication' is countless. f.ck them.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:23 am

Anyway it's right to respect for your family life, not a right to have one. And article 8(2) qualifies it blah blah blah you all know all this.

Dunno why this has rattled me so much rather than just laughing at their ridiculousness.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:16 pm

It's almost like the Tories don't have any underlying ideology whatsoever, beyond a "f.ck you, gimme gimme" attitude that even a stereotyped gangsta-rap caricature would consider disturbingly sociopathic.

I had hoped they'd all die of covid.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

snoozeofreason
Snowbonk

Post by snoozeofreason » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:19 pm

jdc wrote:
Steve Baker who pushed for Brexit despite all impact assessments saying it will devastate our economy, and pushed to leave the ECHR (by repealing the Human Rights Act)...

...Is now demanding an economic impact assessment for lockdown and complaining that it violates the ECHR.
Conservative MP Steve Baker said on BBC Radio 4's Today Programme that England’s nationwide lockdown is “a major infringement on a right to a family life. I'm looking at the European Convention on Human Rights as I speak to you."
At which point, Mrs. Snooze, who was listening in bed, swore loudly at the radio and woke me up. I was hoping for a lie-in. Damn you, Steve Baker!
In six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them. The human body was knocked up pretty late on the Friday afternoon, with a deadline looming. How well do you expect it to work?

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:48 pm

jdc wrote:

Would that be the same ECHR the ERG headbangers want to ignore because sovereignty?
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:16 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:57 am
Is there any official list of members for those groups? I'm struggling to find anything online and many articles talk about people remaining anonymous "because they work in the government" which surely makes it more important we know who they are, not less?

For the COVID Recovery Group wiki has the 12 named members as:
Adam Afriyie
Steve Baker
Harriett Baldwin
Graham Brady
Nus Ghani
Chris Green
Mark Harper
Philip Hollobone
Ben Spencer
Philippa Stroud
Robert Syms
William Wragg

The Guardian has the letter the Northern Research Group sent to Johnson with the following signatories:
Aaron Bell
Alexander Stafford
Andrew Percy
Anthony Higgenbotham
Ben Bradley
Chris Green
Christian Wakefield
Craig Whittaker
David Davis
David Jones
David Morris
David Mundell
Ester McVey
Imran Ahmad Khan
James Daly
James Davies
James Grundy
Jason McCartney
John Stevenson
Julian Sturdy
Karl McCartney
Kieran Mullen
Lee Anderson
Mark Eastwood
Mark Jenkinson
Mark Logan
Mark Menzies
Mary Robinson
Nick Fletcher
Paul Howell
Paul Maynard
Peter Gibson
Philip Davies
Robbie Moore
Robin Goodwill
Robert Largan
Sara Britcliffe
Simon Clark
Simon Fell
William Wragg

Sir John Hayes wrote about setting up the Common Sense Group in the Express and states that "So far, thirty six MPs and five Peers have joined us" but doesn't give their names. I found the letter reproduced here but it doesn't list the signatories beyond John Hayes.
Imran Khan (not that one) from this list has just been found guilty of sexually assault on a 15 year old boy https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1513 ... 5WY3xk2oHw
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works