Leather

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
science_fox
Snowbonk

Leather

Post by science_fox » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:44 pm

Anyone know (with reputable source - a very quick google gets blogs and peta, wiki doesn't mention it) what proportion of leather (shoes fashion etc) is sourced from dairy/meat byproduct and how much is farmed specifically (eg fur farming which is from where this question arose).

Ta.
I'm not afraid of catching Covid, I'm afraid of catching idiot.

username
Clardic Fug

Re: Leather

Post by username » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:13 pm

Not data or links, but I can tell you that raw cowhides in New England currently sell for $20 each.

These hides would usually go to China to be tanned and made into leather goods; the price before tariffs killed the market was $60 per hide.

At either of those prices I would suggest the proportion of cattle, at least, grown specifically for leather rather than meat or dairy must be very, very small.
The half-truths, repeated, authenticated themselves.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:42 pm

Guardian article here suggests that it's currently mostly a meat/dairy by-product, but that global projected demand might be set to outstrip what is provided by the livestock industry. Doesn't cite its sources though. Https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/201 ... ucy-siegle

This leather retailer also says the hides come from livestock, and that hides are only 5% of an animal's value. https://mahileather.com/blogs/news/wher ... -come-from
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:57 am

I hadn't realised that "genuine leather" is actually the lowest quality grade of leather (until I watched a few YouTube videos about fancy watches).
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:01 am

Hmmmmm, leather.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

rockdoctor
Clardic Fug

Post by rockdoctor » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:41 am

I was in that M&S recently, looking to replace my worn out black office shoes. They had expensive ones and cheap ones, so being me, I chose cheap (under £30).
Normally I would beep and go, but there was a long queue so l looked at the label. There was a prominent 'leather' symbol, but on closer inspection it had a small 'x' beside it to indicate no leather was used. The uppers appear to be made of plastic-coated cardboard.
I didn't buy them as I want leather, but it occurred to me that with the rise of trainers as the standard form of footwear (all synthetic), a major source of demand for leather must be dwindling fast

Gawdzilla Sama
Clardic Fug

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:26 am

Leather? I've done the odd bit. These hats, for example. I gave the short one to P. Z. Meyers.

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:56 am

Best motorcycle leathers are made from Kangaroo hide. Am I right in thinking they're a bit of a pest in Oz?

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:07 pm

They are certainly very abundant. There's a cemetery in Perth which is full of the things. They like eating the flowers that are left on the memorial markers.
Kangaroos.at.Pinnaroo.Valley.Memorial.Park.jpg
Kangaroos.at.Pinnaroo.Valley.Memorial.Park.jpg (17.46 KiB) Viewed 6342 times
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:07 pm

veravista wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:56 am
Best motorcycle leathers are made from Kangaroo hide. Am I right in thinking they're a bit of a pest in Oz?
Yes, bikie gangs are very much a pest in Oz.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:05 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:57 am
I hadn't realised that "genuine leather" is actually the lowest quality grade of leather (until I watched a few YouTube videos about fancy watches).
Interesting, thanks. I hadn't realised that Patent Leather actually contained any leather. I assumed it was entirely synthetic.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:55 pm

Martin_B wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:07 pm
veravista wrote:
Yes, bikie gangs are very much a pest in Oz.
I always find the antipodean word, "bikie" to sound remarkably non-threatening for a bunch of violent gangs.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

P.J. Denyer
Stargoon

Post by P.J. Denyer » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:14 pm

veravista wrote:
Or goat, they're both particularly resistant to tears and abraision.

Blackcountryboy
Stargoon

Post by Blackcountryboy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:59 pm

Therfe is a Leather Museum in Walsall, was once a centre for the leather trade, harness and saddles for horses mostly, worht a visit if you ever find yourself in Walsall with a couple of spare hours.

https://go.walsall.gov.uk/leathermuseum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walsall_Leather_Museum

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:11 pm

As a vegetarian, I reckon that if an animal is going to be killed for people to use, the people are obliged to use every possible piece. Yep, leather all the way for me.
Time for a big fat one.

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:20 pm

P.J. Denyer wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:14 pm
veravista wrote:
Or goat, they're both particularly resistant to tears and abrasion.
Kangaroo hide does something peculiar when it gets wet, that is it dries out again unchanged, unlike any other leather. I have an indestructible hat made of it, which was the first present my wife bought me.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:37 pm

rockdoctor wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:41 am
it occurred to me that with the rise of trainers as the standard form of footwear (all synthetic), a major source of demand for leather must be dwindling fast
Lots of trainers are still leather/suede. I bought some Adidas recently that are leather, as are my cheaper Londsdale ones I wear in the gym. Don't forget leather belts and bags - I wonder if the market for those has changed.

username
Clardic Fug

Post by username » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:55 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:37 pm
rockdoctor wrote:
it occurred to me that with the rise of trainers as the standard form of footwear (all synthetic), a major source of demand for leather must be dwindling fast
Lots of trainers are still leather/suede. I bought some Adidas recently that are leather, as are my cheaper Londsdale ones I wear in the gym. Don't forget leather belts and bags - I wonder if the market for those has changed.
I came across this which has some unhelpful numbers. As well as belts and bags there's furniture, and *cars* which must account for a fair amount of use (although it's hard for me to gauge, really, but a single-leather seat-covered car must account for several hides).

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:08 pm

username wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:55 pm
Tessa K wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:37 pm
rockdoctor wrote:
I came across this which has some unhelpful numbers. As well as belts and bags there's furniture, and *cars* which must account for a fair amount of use (although it's hard for me to gauge, really, but a single-leather seat-covered car must account for several hides).
And of course the leather weight lifting gloves I wear in the gym - they're getting hard to find now.

username
Clardic Fug

Post by username » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:21 pm

You may have found a substitute glove already, but sailing gloves might be worth a look if not- a bit like cycling gloves, but less padding and although they're still "fingerless" they extend almost to the second knuckle.

individualmember
Catbabel

Post by individualmember » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:43 am

username wrote:
...As well as belts and bags there's furniture, and *cars* which must account for a fair amount of use (although it's hard for me to gauge, really, but a single-leather seat-covered car must account for several hides).
I understand that a Rolls Royce uses about eight hides (from doing an item about Connolly leather a while back).

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:03 pm

individualmember wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:43 am
username wrote:
...As well as belts and bags there's furniture, and *cars* which must account for a fair amount of use (although it's hard for me to gauge, really, but a single-leather seat-covered car must account for several hides).
I understand that a Rolls Royce uses about eight hides (from doing an item about Connolly leather a while back).
My long leather coat weighs so much it must have a whole cow's worth in it.

Gawdzilla Sama
Clardic Fug

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:17 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:03 pm
individualmember wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:43 am
username wrote:
My long leather coat weighs so much it must have a whole cow's worth in it.
Try adding Kevlar to the coat. :roll:

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:02 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:17 pm
Not much need for that down the pub, even in Camden.

Gentleman Jim
Catbabel

Post by Gentleman Jim » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:43 am

Tessa K wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:02 am
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:17 pm
Not much need for that down the pub, even in Camden.
:lol: I doubt my son agrees, after being set upon, outside The Roundhouse
Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.