The Biden Administration

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
lpm
Junior Mod

Re: US Election

Post by lpm » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:15 pm

The transition is steaming ahead. The White House senior staff is in place (lots of ex-Obama staff). Today we've had foreign and nat security appointments (lots of ex-Obama officials). Looks very Obama term-3 ish.

https://buildbackbetter.com/the-adminis ... ppointees/
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Woodchopper
Princess POW

The Biden Administration

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:20 pm

New Administration New Thread

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Re: The Biden Administration

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:27 pm

Antony Blinken to be Secretary of State
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/23/politics ... index.html

Fun fact, he grew up in France and speaks fluent French.

ETA John Kerry also spoke French.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Re: US Election

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:18 pm

lpm wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:15 pm
The transition is steaming ahead. The White House senior staff is in place (lots of ex-Obama staff). Today we've had foreign and nat security appointments (lots of ex-Obama officials). Looks very Obama term-3 ish.

https://buildbackbetter.com/the-adminis ... ppointees/
Hooray! Make America Great Again!
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:46 pm

Looks like the Biden administration has opened an embassy in the climate.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:11 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:27 pm
ETA John Kerry also spoke French.
I seem to recall seeing John Kerry speaking French on TV once, and also Mitt Romney (who spent time in Europe on that programme the Mormons have where their smartly dressed young members accost people in the street, usually in English - it's hilarious). My recollection is that neither actually spoke French in a way that would get, say, François Hollande or Emmanuel Macron to send their interpreters home for the day, unlike (to my surprise) Tony Blair, whose French seems to be quite good for someone who has not lived in a French-speaking country for a long time. Blair was filmed once visiting Sarkozy and the two got on like a house on fire, all in French. (Macron has, I think, a reasonable working grasp of English, as you would need for the career that he had in finance, but he still has Ze Outrageous Accehhhnt.)
Something something hammer something something nail

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:35 pm

So who had 22nd November 2020 down for the “First Liberal Whinge About the Biden Administration” sweepstake?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... erful-post

Something something something may as well have let Trump win.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:54 pm

Antony Blinken does not seem too impressed with Brexit...
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:01 am

Little waster wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:35 pm
So who had 22nd November 2020 down for the “First Liberal Whinge About the Biden Administration” sweepstake?

What else was Biden meant to do? Anyway, as of an hour ago he seems to gave got the Federal money. Looks like the coup might be over.
Something something hammer something something nail

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:49 am

Care taken, it seems, to avoid leaving openings that might be difficult to fill if the Georgia runoffs don't give him senate control. Yellen, for example, as treasury secretary leaves Brainard in her role at the federal reserve, meaning there won't be an opportunity for the Republicans to mess about with the federal reserve.

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:54 am

And lots of people who have already held roles, usually in the Obama Administration, so they can hit the ground running.

However, I'm sure there'll be cries of "Biden's re-stocking the swamp!"
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:09 am

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:19 am

Martin_B wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:54 am
And lots of people who have already held roles, usually in the Obama Administration, so they can hit the ground running.

They are expecting to find everything in a bit of a mess, so it makes sense to bring in people who can remember what it used to be like.

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:40 am

AMS wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:19 am
Martin_B wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:54 am

They are expecting to find everything in a bit of a mess, so it makes sense to bring in people who can remember what it used to be like.
S'gonna be like going into a museum store-room and finding nothing but empty shelves.
"Where is everything?"
"Ah, it was just a load of old sh.t that han't been used for ages: we tidied it up and chucked it out"
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:08 am

Little waster wrote:

I didn't really view that as a criticism on Biden specifically, so much as the culture of partisan funding for government transition:
Such pleading erodes the distinction between campaigning and governance. It provides partisan funding for what is part of the state. At a time when America is so polarised, such funding makes it more difficult to be a “president for all Americans”. It further privatises governance, leverages the power of lobbyists and special interests and undermines the authority of the president-elect: the most powerful figure in the world begging for your loose change.

Trump’s refusal to accept the election result and the farcical conspiracy theories peddled by his lawyers are undermining US democracy, but in the long term there is something deeply corrosive about turning transition into a crowd-funded partisan process.
Seems to lay the ultimate blame at Trump's feet, so "may as well have elected Trump" is a total strawman there.

It's hardly an original observation that the amount of private money in US politics leads to wide-open vulnerabilities to corruption, so it's right to be concerned about a development that increases that. Maybe Biden had no choice because he and the Democratic Party have spent all their funds on the election and don't have $10m left.

If that's the case, the federal government needs to ensure this can't happen again, and I'm sure Biden's already working on a plan to fix it. For instance, maybe the GSA shouldn't need presidential approval to release funding?

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:20 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:08 am
Little waster wrote:

I didn't really view that as a criticism on Biden specifically, so much as the culture of partisan funding for government transition:
Such pleading erodes the distinction between campaigning and governance. It provides partisan funding for what is part of the state. At a time when America is so polarised, such funding makes it more difficult to be a “president for all Americans”. It further privatises governance, leverages the power of lobbyists and special interests and undermines the authority of the president-elect: the most powerful figure in the world begging for your loose change.

Trump’s refusal to accept the election result and the farcical conspiracy theories peddled by his lawyers are undermining US democracy, but in the long term there is something deeply corrosive about turning transition into a crowd-funded partisan process.
Seems to lay the ultimate blame at Trump's feet, so "may as well have elected Trump" is a total strawman there.

It's hardly an original observation that the amount of private money in US politics leads to wide-open vulnerabilities to corruption, so it's right to be concerned about a development that increases that. Maybe Biden had no choice because he and the Democratic Party have spent all their funds on the election and don't have $10m left.

If that's the case, the federal government needs to ensure this can't happen again, and I'm sure Biden's already working on a plan to fix it. For instance, maybe the GSA shouldn't need presidential approval to release funding?

Fair points but the strapline was:-
There is something absurd about grifting from the very people who voted for him
Now you can put that down to the sub-editor however the implication (and the hook driving the clicks) is that Biden is just like Trump in openly "grifting" off his supporters, to the point they even use that exact word.

We were used to it with Trump, but with this the Guardian feeds the swamp notion and the sense that they are really just as bad as each other, which drives apathy and makes you wonder why they are pushing that narrative even before Biden walks in the door.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:32 am

Well - could the Dems really not find $10m without sending out a newsletter asking supporters for it? It does feel a bit gross and irresponsible.

I agree that the headline and strapline were probably a subeditor, probably trying to generate some clickbaity controversy.

cvb
Clardic Fug

Post by cvb » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:37 am

Little waster wrote:

Just to point out from that article
This article was amended on 22 November 2020 because the amount the US government normally funds an administration transition process is $10m, not $10bn as an earlier version said.
Somebody should have caught that earlier

Out by $990m, but who cares?

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:42 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:32 am
Well - could the Dems really not find $10m without sending out a newsletter asking supporters for it? It does feel a bit gross and irresponsible.
I really don't know. Campaign finance laws are complicated so I don't know whether the Democrats are able to move funds from one account to another.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:02 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:42 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
I really don't know. Campaign finance laws are complicated so I don't know whether the Democrats are able to move funds from one account to another.
Mmm. But this isn't campaigning any more - he's won. This is just getting on with being president-elect.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:04 am

The Fifth Risk by Michael Lewis describes Trump's initial failure to engage with establishing a transition team - particularly in the pre-election period
The first time Donald Trump paid attention to any of this was when he read about it in the newspaper. The story revealed that Trump’s very own transition team, led by New Jersey governor Chris Christie, had raised several million dollars to pay the staff. The moment he saw it, Trump called Steve Bannon, the chief executive of his campaign, from his office, on the twenty-sixth floor of Trump Tower, and told him to come immediately to his residence, many floors above. Bannon stepped off the elevator to find the governor of New Jersey seated on a sofa, being hollered at. Trump was apoplectic, actually yelling, You’re stealing my money! You’re stealing my f.cking money! What the f.ck is this??
He only agreed to continue funding the transition team preparations when it was clear that if he didn't it would show he didn't expect to win
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:01 pm

cvb wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:37 am
Little waster wrote:

Just to point out from that article
This article was amended on 22 November 2020 because the amount the US government normally funds an administration transition process is $10m, not $10bn as an earlier version said.
Somebody should have caught that earlier

Out by $990m, but who cares?
$9,990 million
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

malbui
Fuzzable

Post by malbui » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:40 pm

Am I alone among ageing computer scientists to hope that, following the nomination of Mr Blinken, Biden will be able to find a Mr Lichten to complete the team?
And when it starts to slide
Let it go
Leave it behind

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:59 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:02 am
Woodchopper wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mmm. But this isn't campaigning any more - he's won. This is just getting on with being president-elect.
Transition funds are their own political action, and not a thing you can spend campaign money on

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:06 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:02 am
Woodchopper wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Which is something that takes money, money they were meant to receive from the government, but did not receive in a timely fashion because of a mixture of politics and cowardice from someone who had the clear responsibility to grant them that money. The article was sh.tty clickbait, end of.