Relative mortality

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
lpm
Junior Mod

Relative mortality

Post by lpm » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:51 pm

4 dead story pushes out 414 dead story.

Obvs one is new and exciting, the other is repetitive and miserable. But it highlights the scale of the daily death toll.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

El Pollo Diablo
Stummy Beige

Re: Relative mortality

Post by El Pollo Diablo » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:08 pm

True, but regardless of where it sits in the news, it's still an interesting event and valid for discussing
If truth is many-sided, mendacity is many-tongued

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:12 pm

yeah, it's not like we don't have enough bl..dy covid threads to discuss it

plus think this is local to Fishnut? possibly why she's following it...
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:14 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:12 pm
A whole subforum, in fact, with 147 threads.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:15 pm

EXACTLY

f.ck off there

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:19 pm

Discuss it all you like, when did I say you shouldn't? But it seems pretty remarkable how accustomed we all are to 100 Avonmouth explosions, day after day.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:36 pm

i'm so sorry that i've not been posting "OH MY GOD MORE COVID DEATHS" every day in the subforum. i'll get right on it tomorrow

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:09 pm

lpm wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:19 pm
Discuss it all you like, when did I say you shouldn't? But it seems pretty remarkable how accustomed we all are to 100 Avonmouth explosions, day after day.
Yeah, we should really just talk about the Iraq war, seeing as hundreds of thousands of people died in that.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Re. Relative mortality

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:01 pm

I've moved some posts here from the Avonmouth explosion thread as they deserved a topic of their own

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:31 pm

discovolante wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:09 pm
lpm wrote:
Yeah, we should really just talk about the Iraq war, seeing as hundreds of thousands of people died in that.
Ischaemic heart disease and stroke are the world’s biggest killers, accounting for a combined 15.2 million deaths in 2016. These diseases have remained the leading causes of death globally in the last 15 years.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:33 pm

jdc wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:31 pm
discovolante wrote:
lpm wrote:
Ischaemic heart disease and stroke are the world’s biggest killers, accounting for a combined 15.2 million deaths in 2016. These diseases have remained the leading causes of death globally in the last 15 years.
I have been reminded of that several times by angry people who demand to know why the government doesn’t shut down the economy to prevent heart disease deaths.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:52 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:33 pm
jdc wrote:
discovolante wrote:

I have been reminded of that several times by angry people who demand to know why the government doesn’t shut down the economy to prevent heart disease deaths.
I hope you demanded to know why they thought the govt should. I can't wait to find out the mechanism by which lockdown prevents heart disease.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:48 pm

jdc wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:52 pm
Woodchopper wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:33 pm
jdc wrote:

I hope you demanded to know why they thought the govt should. I can't wait to find out the mechanism by which lockdown prevents heart disease.
I am pretty sure I've at least quadrupled my relative risk of stoke and ischaemic heart disease during lockdown, but it is possible I'm bucking a wider societal trend. n=1 and all that.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:51 pm

dyqik wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:14 pm
Stephanie wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:12 pm
A whole subforum, in fact, with 147 threads.
f.ck, that many?! Thank goodness we started a new subforum when we did.

Who suggested that? They deserve a one of the forum prizes given out in our fabulous annual prize ceremony.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:01 am

I don't know what my post is doing here because it wasn't about relative mortality, it was about 24 hour news chasing sensation.

But it's turned out well because it's given us the comedy of four idiots demanding the right to talk about the Avonmouth explosion even though they always had the right to talk about the Avonmouth explosion, while simultaneously not saying a single word about the Avonmouth explosion. Very funny guys. Thanks for being prepared to look stupid for the sake of amusing the rest of us.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:15 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:01 am
I don't know what my post is doing here because it wasn't about relative mortality, it was about 24 hour news chasing sensation.

But it's turned out well because it's given us the comedy of four idiots demanding the right to talk about the Avonmouth explosion even though they always had the right to talk about the Avonmouth explosion, while simultaneously not saying a single word about the Avonmouth explosion. Very funny guys. Thanks for being prepared to look stupid for the sake of amusing the rest of us.
I wasn't demanding the right to talk about Avonmouth, I was trying to start an argument with Disco.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:16 pm

jdc wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:15 pm
lpm wrote:

I wasn't demanding the right to talk about Avonmouth, I was trying to start an argument with Disco.
I argue with Funk.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:15 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:16 pm
jdc wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:15 pm
lpm wrote:

I argue with Funk.
Casimir?

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:28 pm

lpm wrote:

Your post is here cos it was reported. I was here just to take the piss out of you until the thread move. Hope that helps, babe.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:12 pm

One-off accidents/disasters always get more attention than ongoing issues no matter how large. If it bleeds, it leads - as the news story saying goes. And there is always an added element of forced pathos in the run-up to Christmas. If a small child or a kitten had been killed it would have been even bigger news.

We all know heart disease and cancer kill x million people a year. We all know about Covid. It's about salience. Everyone likes a big bang.

And I have friends nearby (but safe).

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:48 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:12 pm
One-off accidents/disasters always get more attention than ongoing issues no matter how large. If it bleeds, it leads - as the news story saying goes. And there is always an added element of forced pathos in the run-up to Christmas. If a small child or a kitten had been killed it would have been even bigger news.

We all know heart disease and cancer kill x million people a year. We all know about Covid. It's about salience. Everyone likes a big bang.

And I have friends nearby (but safe).
It's pretty much implicit in the term "News Media". They exist to report new things, and newer more surprising things push out older less surprising things, at least temporarily.

If you want something that isn't News, consume something other than the News Media.