Post by nezumi » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:44 pm

Which would you prefer at this point?
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

Fishnut
After Pie

Re: Deal or No Deal?

Post by Fishnut » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:59 pm

Definitely deal.

When I lived in the Falklands sometimes shipments would be late or just not have what was needed and we'd have shortages of really basic things, plus it was common to see stuff being sold that was months out of date. And everything was expensive. A lot of the frozen stuff was Iceland brand with the price emblazoned on the box but you'd be charged about twice that. I worked with a few Russians and they said that at times the shops reminded them of Communist days - you'd go in and the fresh fruit and veg aisles would be completely empty.

I'm hoping things won't be that bad but I fear that they might be and while it's pretty easy to cope with when you're part of a small community used to these sorts of things, it's going to be completely different if it's suddenly like that in the new year. If we thought the 'panic buying' was bad at the start of the lockdown (which appears to have mostly been a result of 'sh.t, everyone's at home all the time and they need feeding instead') then I dread to think what it's going to be like when there really are shortages of products.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:43 pm

I agree Fishnut, but there's definitely a nasty, malicious little part of me that hopes for no deal, if just so I can say "told ya so". I never said I wasn't evil :lol:

I've started emergency stocking up a while ago, I've got about a month's worth of very plain, boring food and enough spices to make it palateable and I'm good for the other stuff. However, I live on a street that is already one of the poorest in the country so the majority of my neighbours don't have the option to panic buy or stock up. Most of them rely on foodbanks and/or the black market to survive. Some of them are total scrotes, of course, but the majority are just poor and doing what they have to. I don't want to see people starve in foreign countries, never mind bl..dy next-door. Unfortunately I am also poor, thankfully nowhere near cusp of starvation poor but definitely precariat, so there's a rather short limit on what I can do to help.

I vote deal, simply because my not-a-bastard-bit is slightly larger than my is-a-bastard-bit.
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:30 pm

I’d prefer deal but it’s looking like no deal at the moment.

I doubt that people will starve. But it’s a good idea to stock up. Price rises are pretty much guaranteed under no deal, and there could well be shortages of some products. It’ll be very difficult for people who are already struggling.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:23 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:30 pm

I doubt that people will starve. But it’s a good idea to stock up. Price rises are pretty much guaranteed under no deal, and there could well be shortages of some products. It’ll be very difficult for people who are already struggling.
People are already going short of food in the UK, thanks to universal credit, pandemic, etc. No Deal will mean more will.

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:31 pm

dyqik wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:23 pm
Woodchopper wrote:

People are already going short of food in the UK, thanks to universal credit, pandemic, etc. No Deal will mean more will.
Yep, and for two different but compounding reasons - shortages and price rises caused by transport problems (probably most obvious for fresh stuff grown in Spain etc at this time of year), and falling incomes due to job losses in sectors most affected by export tariffs.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:11 am

dyqik wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:23 pm
Woodchopper wrote:

Certainly.

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:30 pm

My next door neighbour works for a large German food company and he's working all hours trying to get supplies for their UK arm. All not helped by shortages of raw materials caused across Europe and Africa from the pandemic labour shortages and a sh.t harvests.

He reckons we're looking at a minimum of 15% to 20% increase in processed food prices next year anyway.

Cardinal Fang
Snowbonk

Post by Cardinal Fang » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:02 pm

If Blundering Boris does get a deal it will be so thin that there won't be significantly more benefit than a no deal.

CF

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:30 pm

... as it turns out, "Deal".
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:54 pm

Here's a chart which sets out what kind of deal it is: https://twitter.com/TerryReintke/status ... 5402184706
EqA-P0WWMAAu3B4.jpg
EqA-P0WWMAAu3B4.jpg (157.99 KiB) Viewed 2651 times
EqA-P0vXYAIpE4k.jpg
EqA-P0vXYAIpE4k.jpg (112.58 KiB) Viewed 2651 times
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:14 pm

Yay! So we've avoided the utterly disastrous and now have the merely f.cking dreadful. None of the outcomes were at all what was promised.

f.ck 'em.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:30 pm

EqA0ov0XIAAgN0B.jpg
EqA0ov0XIAAgN0B.jpg (22.38 KiB) Viewed 2627 times
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Blackcountryboy
Stargoon

Post by Blackcountryboy » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:17 pm

bjn wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:14 pm
Yay! So we've avoided the utterly disastrous and now have the merely f.cking dreadful. None of the outcomes were at all what was promised.

f.ck 'em.
It's like "Animal Farm", except what was said at the time of the Referendum hasn't faded, it can still be read as clearly as the day it was recorded on the Internet, but they will still get away with it.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:45 pm

veravista wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:30 pm
My next door neighbour works for a large German food company and he's working all hours trying to get supplies for their UK arm. All not helped by shortages of raw materials caused across Europe and Africa from the pandemic labour shortages and a sh.t harvests.

He reckons we're looking at a minimum of 15% to 20% increase in processed food prices next year anyway.
In that case GDP will go up, and as that’s the most important measure of the economy it’ll be a great triumph.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:25 pm

Grumble wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:45 pm
veravista wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:30 pm

In that case GDP will go up, and as that’s the most important measure of the economy it’ll be a great triumph.
Even better for the economy than a major natural disaster.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:40 pm

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

malbui
Fuzzable

Post by malbui » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:07 pm

Is it really too much to ask people to actually read what they are C&Ping?
And when it starts to slide
Let it go
Leave it behind

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:02 pm

malbui wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:07 pm
Is it really too much to ask people to actually read what they are C&Ping?
Laughed so much I nearly had a c'niption fit.
Cheers M.
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:15 pm

The good news is Brexit is planned to be Flash-enabled on the 01/01/21.

In the comments lots of variants of Leaver halfwits going “Ha ha, our amazing cake-and-eat-it Brexit deal we’ve had our very best brains working on for 4 years turns out in the end to be some sort of essay crisis, a 11th hour, copy and paste jobbie from the 90s, so doesn’t that just prove how stoopid the EU are and why we are better off out”.

FFS!
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:24 pm

Little waster wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:15 pm

In the comments lots of variants of Leaver halfwits going “Ha ha, our amazing cake-and-eat-it Brexit deal we’ve had our very best brains working on for 4 years turns out in the end to be some sort of essay crisis, a 11th hour, copy and paste jobbie from the 90s, so doesn’t that just prove how stoopid the EU are and why we are better off out”.

FFS!
Will firms need to record their customs info on an Access database?

malbui
Fuzzable

Post by malbui » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:37 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:24 pm
Little waster wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:15 pm

FFS!
Approach, I'd have thought. Or Lotus 123 for even greater flexibility.
And when it starts to slide
Let it go
Leave it behind

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:02 pm

malbui wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:37 pm
Trinucleus wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:24 pm

Approach, I'd have thought. Or Lotus 123 for even greater flexibility.
Jacob Rees-Mogg is holding out for a Quattro spreadsheet or a rebranding as Lotus I, II, III.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:03 pm

Johnson has confirmed he has actually read the deal (not that he would ever consider lying about it) so perhaps he can clarify the Netscape Navigator section.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.