Roll on 2021

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Fishnut
After Pie

Roll on 2021

Post by Fishnut » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:16 pm

Inspired by gfamily's thread, and not wanting to immediately hijack it...

We all (myself included) seem to be operating under the assumption that 2021 is going to be better than 2020. Partly, I suspect that we can't bear contemplating the idea that it could be worse given how monumentally sh.t this year has been on multiple fronts, but for those of us in the UK we have the looming possibility of a no-deal brexit at worse at shite-deal at best, along with an ongoing pandemic, ongoing Tory "governance" and all of us, wherever we are, face the greater existential threats that loom including (but not limited to) increased far-right extremism and that ol' chestnut of climate change.

But I'm trying to be optimistic while also realistic. Optimism tells me next year will be better, realism tells me that won't happen without effort. So, what can we do to make next year better? Whether it's in your own life (I'm not talking New Year's Resolutions which everyone knows don't work), in your own community, or at a larger scale, what can we do so that when we look back over 2021 we've got something we can feel proud that we did? Maybe I am talking New Year's Resolutions but more altruistic and more goal-oriented than the usual "I'll go to the gym" and "I'll eat healthier". Preferably suggestions that others can replicate so we can share knowledge and provide support (all very touchy-feely I know, and this may be totally out of keeping with the spirit of the forum and die an embarrassing death, but I thought it was worth a try. And anyway, threads have a habit of mutating so even if that's my intentions who knows what it'll end up being).

Right, enough waffling. I shall start. I'm going to try and get my town involved, in however small a way, with the City Nature Challenge, an event designed to get people more interested and aware of their urban biodiversity. There's a free conference on at the end of January for people interested in taking part. It's not competitive this time, unlike previous years, but is about collaboration and highlighting the "healing power of nature".
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Grumble
Light of Blast

Re: Roll on 2021

Post by Grumble » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:05 am

Mrs Grumble and I have bought each other wildlife charity memberships. Cheshire Wildlife Trust (who’ve just reintroduced beavers to Cheshire) for her and Buglife for me. Really want to spend more time in nature reserves next year and do a bit more for the wildlife in our garden.
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three