Brexit Consequences

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
bjn
Stummy Beige

Re: Brexit Consequences

Post by bjn » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:51 pm

individualmember wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:03 pm
Jeezusfuckinaitchchrist, I’ve just been on that basefook thing and encountered a moron who is insisting that nothing bad has happened due to brexit. I expect I’ll get chucked out of that group when the moron eventually works out that I’ve insulted his attitude and his honesty (I found a non-sweary way to call him a hateful lying c.nt).

Just needed to get that off my chest. As you were.
Go, do tell.

individualmember
Catbabel

Post by individualmember » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:47 pm

bjn wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:51 pm
individualmember wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:03 pm
Jeezusfuckinaitchchrist, I’ve just been on that basefook thing and encountered a moron who is insisting that nothing bad has happened due to brexit. I expect I’ll get chucked out of that group when the moron eventually works out that I’ve insulted his attitude and his honesty (I found a non-sweary way to call him a hateful lying c.nt).

Just needed to get that off my chest. As you were.
Go, do tell.

Ok, tw.t said
I am sick and tired of listening to uneducated remainers bleating on about oh told you what happen when we left well what had happened absolutely nothing and as time passes and we become totally independent things will get better and better and better incidentally I wonder why teo very large GERMAN superstores are building tons of superstores in the UK Get Real
My responses over the next few minutes included
it is utterly incomprehensible how someone can be so uninformed as to say that nothing bad has happened this year because of Brexit. You can have the opinion that what’s happening doesn’t matter but denying it is bizarre.
and
you can’t honestly say that you haven’t seen the problems that the fishing industry has or the trouble on the streets of Northern Ireland. The fact you are posting on Facebook means that at the very least you have access to the internet.
and
but you don’t care that the fishing industry and the people in Northern Ireland have been lied to and are rightfully angry about that.
I just can’t understand how anyone can hate their country so badly that they would inflict this kind of hardship upon it.
This is entirely the fault of those who voted for Brexit, we all have known what the EU is like for years and that what they are doing now in insisting that the rules are stuck to is completely predictable. Trying to blame anyone else is fundamentally dishonest.
and
that sums up the disgusting ‘I’m all right so everyone else can F off’ attitude that is so unacceptable.
and
“was”... but you don’t care a jot about those of us who still are. You should be utterly ashamed of yourself.
I’ll spare delicate readers from the f.ckwittery in between, but I think the broad thread is discernible. The usual variations on nothing bad is happening but if it is it’s a all the fault of remainers and/or the EU, you lost get over it, if anyone is having problems with their business or losing their jobs that's just tough sh.t.

individualmember
Catbabel

Post by individualmember » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:08 pm

Ha ha ha, I’m a useless liberal now :D
Leopard redacted.jpg
Leopard redacted.jpg (124.32 KiB) Viewed 2883 times
Edited the image to remove personal information.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:46 pm

individualmember wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:08 pm

CD7B4A4E-6056-447C-8CAC-AE4A4585500F.jpeg
Off-topic, but: Bit of a fail on the anonymising there. I generally use a filled rectangle rather then trying to "scribble" with my mouse.
Something something hammer something something nail

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:01 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:46 pm
individualmember wrote:

Off-topic, but: Bit of a fail on the anonymising there. I generally use a filled rectangle rather then trying to "scribble" with my mouse.
That image has been spread over the interwebs (I'm sure not by individual member). For sake of good order I'll improve the redaction, but I doubt that posting here will have made much of a difference.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:40 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:01 am
sTeamTraen wrote:
individualmember wrote:

That image has been spread over the interwebs (I'm sure not by individual member). For sake of good order I'll improve the redaction, but I doubt that posting here will have made much of a difference.
Ah, OK. I thought it might have been original with individualmember.
Something something hammer something something nail

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:31 pm

A few months ago, someone suggested that a Copernicus dataset is a neat way of solving a particular problem I occasionally have at work. That problem has now arisen, so I got a colleague to spend most of this afternoon digging out a massive dataset and trying to figure out how to extract what we want from it. Then I noticed in the user guide that the UK no longer exists. I got quite sweary.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:39 pm

Sciolus wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:31 pm
A few months ago, someone suggested that a Copernicus dataset is a neat way of solving a particular problem I occasionally have at work. That problem has now arisen, so I got a colleague to spend most of this afternoon digging out a massive dataset and trying to figure out how to extract what we want from it. Then I noticed in the user guide that the UK no longer exists. I got quite sweary.
Oh f.ck. I'd been planning to use that dataset for something as well.

Thanks Brexit!
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:27 pm

I think there are a bunch of datasets under the same programme, including lots with global coverage, but the one I wanted (land use) needs a bit of processing which may be why the UK got dropped. Or something, I haven't gone into it. So have a look anyway. But maybe do it sooner rather than later in case they still have old data up with the UK in, but drop it when they next update it.

individualmember
Catbabel

Post by individualmember » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:54 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:01 am
sTeamTraen wrote:
individualmember wrote:

Thanks for doing that. How well I do it depends on multiple factors, particularly whether I’m doing it on my phone or laptop and time of day (I probably wasn’t fully awake/sober/concentrating). If it’s across the internet then it wasn’t me who spread it, but it’s in a FB group where lots of people have access to it, the kind where I don’t consider posts there are particularly secure or private anyway.

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:05 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:39 pm
Sciolus wrote:

Thanks Brexit!
Actually checking the data, the UK is in fact still in there. It's just the user guide that's misleading for some reason. But my advice to grab what you need quick still stands.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:13 am

Sciolus wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:05 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:39 pm
Sciolus wrote:

Thanks Brexit!
Actually checking the data, the UK is in fact still in there. It's just the user guide that's misleading for some reason. But my advice to grab what you need quick still stands.
Longitudinal) datasets which contain EEA data should keep the UK data in & it will be up to the analysts to account for the UK's final departure on 01/01/2021. That's how the EMA have done it, following advice from the commission, and everyone else will have received the same advice that they don't have to retrospectively remove UK data

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:31 pm

Ta. I would guess that no-one's going to do any extra work to remove the UK just for the sake of it, now or in the future. I'm sure many people also understand the value of consistent long-term datasets, and some may well have half an eye on the UK rejoining in a few years (fingers crossed), as long as nothing actually costs too much extra money.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:56 pm

Sciolus wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:31 pm
Ta. I would guess that no-one's going to do any extra work to remove the UK just for the sake of it, now or in the future. I'm sure many people also understand the value of consistent long-term datasets, and some may well have half an eye on the UK rejoining in a few years (fingers crossed), as long as nothing actually costs too much extra money.
I expect that removing the UK from all EU datasets would mess up some analysis. For example, if someone were trying to assess the effects of an EU directive in the 1980s, then removal of data on one of the largest EU member states at the time might be a bit irksome.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:51 pm

What a rollercoaster! Ok, I'll relax.

Squeak
Catbabel

Post by Squeak » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:05 am

On Copernicus specifically, I know they're currently working to pull in data from the World Ocean Database, which is hosted by the US and contains data from all sorts of nations.

I would expect the UK to be a slightly less high priority for them in the future but Copernicus and EMODnet (who they work closely with) both do global outreach and are trying to establish data standards to allow global interoperability. I can't see why they'd start removing UK data, given their increasing global focus. EMODnet is currently serving a bunch of Southern Ocean datasets for me, which are collected by nations all over the world, and they're directly negotiating with China for access to their oceanographic datasets under the EMODnet For Global program. (Copernicus oceanography and EMODnet are so intertwined that I don't bother to hold the differences in my head - I just ask someone relevant who I should talk to about a particular problem.)

That said, I can check, if that's useful?

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:30 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:56 pm
Sciolus wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:31 pm
I expect that removing the UK from all EU datasets would mess up some analysis. For example, if someone were trying to assess the effects of an EU directive in the 1980s, then removal of data on one of the largest EU member states at the time might be a bit irksome.
Precisely.
For the same reason, when Croatia joined, for example, datasets weren't retrospectively populated

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:22 am

UK schools are bracing for a blow to their ability to teach European languages from new post-Brexit immigration rules that raise the costs of hiring hundreds of young EU citizens who help in classrooms each year.

Education leaders said that requirements introduced in January which apply for all new recruits, mean they have to pay more and reject or stall applications from students at EU universities, undermining longstanding recruitment practices for language assistants who help pupils with support and conversation practice.
https://www.ft.com/content/a5320649-b64 ... b78deea1db

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:40 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:22 am
UK schools are bracing for a blow to their ability to teach European languages from new post-Brexit immigration rules that raise the costs of hiring hundreds of young EU citizens who help in classrooms each year.

Education leaders said that requirements introduced in January which apply for all new recruits, mean they have to pay more and reject or stall applications from students at EU universities, undermining longstanding recruitment practices for language assistants who help pupils with support and conversation practice.
https://www.ft.com/content/a5320649-b64 ... b78deea1db
Why can't the layabouts who claim benefits be made to get off their arses and do this work? It's not like we have a shortage of unemployed people.

All they have to do is become a native speaker of several foreign languages.

Millennials are so lazy.

/gammonmodeoff

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:38 pm

Well to be fair I don't see why kids should be learning smelly EU languages anyway.

If English isn't good enough there are plenty of decent patriotic languages in the empire, like Xhosa and Mandarin and Gujarati, which they could be learning.

Of course in the future it'll be much more useful for kids to know Python and Ruby than Pashto and Yoruba anyway because we'll all have sentient robots linked into our brains to translate things for us.

warumich
Fuzzable

Post by warumich » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:03 pm

Heutzutage geht alles ueber Google translate, da braucht man gar nicht erst dumme Fremdsprachen lernen.
I've never had a signature, and it never did me any harm

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:56 pm

warumich wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:03 pm
Heutzutage geht alles ueber Google translate, da braucht man gar nicht erst dumme Fremdsprachen lernen.
あの。いろいろの翻訳が難しい世界言語があります。ほぼ不可能なのもあります。*

I don't think machines will ever fully replace a good human translator, particularly in circumstances where high lingusitic competancy is required. It's fine for basic stuff and getting the gist but it can't replace the mere fact that speaking to a human you can make yourself understood in more creative ways but machines are stuck with narrow inputs and definitions.

* Not bad from nearly just memory! had to look up a couple of words. I've not spoken Japanese in at least 5 years.
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

warumich
Fuzzable

Post by warumich » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:13 pm

nezumi wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:56 pm
warumich wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:03 pm
あの。いろいろの翻訳が難しい世界言語があります。ほぼ不可能なのもあります。*

I don't think machines will ever fully replace a good human translator, particularly in circumstances where high lingusitic competancy is required. It's fine for basic stuff and getting the gist but it can't replace the mere fact that speaking to a human you can make yourself understood in more creative ways but machines are stuck with narrow inputs and definitions.

* Not bad from nearly just memory! had to look up a couple of words. I've not spoken Japanese in at least 5 years.
Yep

Alles im Leben geht natürlich zu,
nur meine Hose geht natürlich nicht zu.
I've never had a signature, and it never did me any harm

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:14 pm

nezumi wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:56 pm
I don't think machines will ever fully replace a good human translator
"Ever" is a very long time.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:25 pm

The future of Trident is in doubt

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... dependence

So that’s leaving the EEC and now unilateral nuclear disarmament.

I imagine Wedgie Benn is looking down laughing his cock off about now.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.