Re: Brexit Consequences

Post by PeteB » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:05 am

Brightonian wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:37 pm
sheldrake wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:55 pm
Financial services exports to the EU up too

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... te-brexit/
Excellent news. I can't read it (paywalled) but I'll assume that's true in a meaningful way (over a relevant time period, and other things I can't think of at the moment). Excellent because my main sources of income now are a company pension (which I'm guessing is to a fair extent investrd in UK financial services products), plus the letting of my house to people who get paid massive amounts from their City jobs). Whilst I'm still a remoaner, I'm getting selfish and worn down by Covid restrictions and a bit past caring and just want a reasonable income till I kick the bucket.
This seems to summarise the DT article

For balance :

Brexit shrank UK services exports by more than £110 billion (€128 billion) over a four-year period, new research shows, highlighting the far-reaching trade implications of Britain’s decision to break away from the European Union....
Financial services exports were the hardest hit, in monetary terms, as banks, insurers and asset managers moved thousands of people and billions in capital from hubs in the City and Canary Wharf to new centres in Frankfurt, Paris, Amsterdam and Dublin so they could trade seamlessly with clients after Brexit

I think that was 2016-19

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:10 am

PeteB wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:05 am
Brightonian wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:37 pm
sheldrake wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:55 pm
Financial services exports to the EU up too

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... te-brexit/
Excellent news. I can't read it (paywalled) but I'll assume that's true in a meaningful way (over a relevant time period, and other things I can't think of at the moment). Excellent because my main sources of income now are a company pension (which I'm guessing is to a fair extent investrd in UK financial services products), plus the letting of my house to people who get paid massive amounts from their City jobs). Whilst I'm still a remoaner, I'm getting selfish and worn down by Covid restrictions and a bit past caring and just want a reasonable income till I kick the bucket.
This seems to summarise the DT article

For balance :

Brexit shrank UK services exports by more than £110 billion (€128 billion) over a four-year period, new research shows, highlighting the far-reaching trade implications of Britain’s decision to break away from the European Union....
Financial services exports were the hardest hit, in monetary terms, as banks, insurers and asset managers moved thousands of people and billions in capital from hubs in the City and Canary Wharf to new centres in Frankfurt, Paris, Amsterdam and Dublin so they could trade seamlessly with clients after Brexit

I think that was 2016-19
This is a counterfactual projection, i.e. 'we think it would have been 110 billion higher had it not been for brexit', not an actual shrink in exports. I'll let you dig through the previous projections given by the same academics to decide whether you think they are highly credible. The Telegraph report is not conjecture about an alternate timeline, but an account of actual trade figures.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:41 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:20 pm

I wouldn't use the SmartDNS VPN for watching TV on a regular basis, although it works fine for catching the cricket higligs on my phone. But I've weaned a few people off full-fat VPNs now and they all say that the SmartDNS method gives far less buffering. The main VPNs used here are ExpressVPN and NordVPN. (Of course, there are also the people with the "fully loaded" under-the-counter Fire Sticks that include Sky Sports for an implausibly low price, but occasionally stop working for a few weeks after a multinational set of police raids on server farms in six countries.)
I've got one of those!!

I've got to say, my guy is well on top of everything. The longest outage I've had from server farm raids has been 2 hours. And that only twice in a year. He just calls me and lets me know the updated server settings. Job done. No charge. No ongoing charges.

I use NordVpn for other stuff. Got a 3 year deal with them that was v. economical.
Time for a big fat one.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:26 pm

Opti wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:41 am
I've got to say, my guy is well on top of everything. The longest outage I've had from server farm raids has been 2 hours. And that only twice in a year. He just calls me and lets me know the updated server settings. Job done. No charge. No ongoing charges.
Next time you have him round for a drink, ask him if he knows the registered office and VAT number of his dealerwholesaler. :lol:
Something something hammer something something nail

PeteB
Clardic Fug

Post by PeteB » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:40 pm

sheldrake wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:10 am
This is a counterfactual projection, i.e. 'we think it would have been 110 billion higher had it not been for brexit', not an actual shrink in exports. I'll let you dig through the previous projections given by the same academics to decide whether you think they are highly credible. The Telegraph report is not conjecture about an alternate timeline, but an account of actual trade figures.
Yes, the telegraph article notes financial services exports to the EU increased by £0.08bn (1.4%) in the first three months of 2021 compared with the same period in 2019.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:41 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:26 pm
Opti wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:41 am
Next time you have him round for a drink, ask him if he knows the registered office and VAT number of his dealerwholesaler. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Time for a big fat one.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:03 pm

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:08 pm

Oh, I'm sure the EU lorry drivers are really keen to come back

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:04 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:08 pm
Oh, I'm sure the EU lorry drivers are really keen to come back
Well it's only a short term visa. The UK could end up with seasonal HGV drivers coming from the continent to pick up the £56k salary for a few hellish months delivering rat steaks in army tanks, sleeping in laybies and urinating on the verges of Kent, then spend the rest of the year on the beach in Albania.

As long as none of these workers holding up a key pillar of society feel secure in the UK, and start considering it home, everything's ok.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:35 pm

I have started blaming Remoaners for the shortages on local facebook groups and I am gathering large numbers of likes from morons.

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:54 pm

plodder wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:35 pm
I have started blaming Remoaners for the shortages on local facebook groups and I am gathering large numbers of likes from morons.
Trolling is insincere and unkind, you know

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:35 pm

I'm not trolling, it's going to help me get along with the racist lady in the village who I meet on dog walks who doesn't like poofs.

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:36 pm

plodder wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:35 pm
I'm not trolling, it's going to help me get along with the racist lady in the village who I meet on dog walks who doesn't like poofs.
Now that is a real conundrum. In your shoes I would be tempted to mumble 'hello' then look down and walk briskly on every time I encountered her. Does she follow you around?

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:42 pm

I have a nice chat about whether her back still hurts / poofs are the problem / I'm not sure about that I know some nice gay people / the illegals are the problem / well, my family comes from another country and we're ok / your dog is playing with my dog / isn't that nice / can I borrow a poo bag / thanks you look after yourself / hope your back feels better soon

now we can also talk about how the remoaners aren't driving enough lorries or whatever batshit route the Brexit lot are taking on their journey to common sense.

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:44 pm

plodder wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:42 pm
I have a nice chat about whether her back still hurts / poofs are the problem / I'm not sure about that I know some nice gay people / the illegals are the problem / well, my family comes from another country and we're ok / your dog is playing with my dog / isn't that nice / can I borrow a poo bag / thanks you look after yourself / hope your back feels better soon

now we can also talk about how the remoaners aren't driving enough lorries or whatever batshit route the Brexit lot are taking on their journey to common sense.
There's a touching warmth and generosity of spirit undernearth right there. Well done. I don't think it's actually remoaners or brexiters causing supply problems, mind you. Covid lockdown rules and formerly inadequate pay I reckon. These supply issues are showing up all over the world https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... on-squeeze
Last edited by sheldrake on Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:47 pm

you don't think the remoaners aren't driving enough lorries? really?

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:49 pm

plodder wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:47 pm
you don't think the remoaners aren't driving enough lorries? really?
I tried to be noncomittal on it. I see now you've created a kind of ingenious trap where agreeing with you and not-agreeing with you are both wrong.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:01 pm

I wasn't inviting anyone to win or lose, dude

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:05 pm

plodder wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:01 pm
I wasn't inviting anyone to win or lose, dude
Certainly not. Do you think the shortages are caused by remoaners not driving lorries?

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:13 pm

No, I think they're because the UK has tipped from a fairly sh.tty place to drive HGVs to a very sh.tty place to drive HGVs. As a former HGV driver.

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:44 pm

plodder wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:13 pm
No, I think they're because the UK has tipped from a fairly sh.tty place to drive HGVs to a very sh.tty place to drive HGVs. As a former HGV driver.
Do you think the supply problems are worse in the UK than other countries?

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:56 pm

sheldrake wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:44 pm
plodder wrote:
Err, yes.
Are there some deficiencies in supply in other countries? - yes.
Are some industries in other countries threatened by supply shortages? - yes
Are other countries as badly affected by food and fuel shortages? - yes
in Western Europe? - don't be a f.cking idiot!
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

sheldrake
After Pie

Post by sheldrake » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:59 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:56 pm
sheldrake wrote:
plodder wrote:
Err, yes.
I'm not sure why you're swearing. I've already posted a link about supply shortages in Western Europe in this thread. What is the evidence you want to present that shortages in the UK are worse?

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:02 pm

sheldrake wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:59 pm
Gfamily wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:56 pm
sheldrake wrote:

Err, yes.
I'm not sure why you're swearing. I've already posted a link about supply shortages in Western Europe in this thread. What is the evidence you want to present that shortages in the UK are worse?
I can accept that you are not sure why I'm swearing. That is a deficit in your understanding. I can't help with that.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:07 pm

sheldrake wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:44 pm
plodder wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:42 pm

There's a touching warmth and generosity of spirit undernearth right there. Well done. I don't think it's actually remoaners or brexiters causing supply problems, mind you. Covid lockdown rules and formerly inadequate pay I reckon. These supply issues are showing up all over the world https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... on-squeeze
That link is from July and it mentions semiconductors not food.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk